WLS information sharing

PeteA
on 7/19/16 11:30 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm not usually motivated to bring up the DS or any WLS unless someone else brings it up. I have no
problem talking about it and I am open with the people I know. It's just sometimes you see someone
that has ruled out WLS surgery because of the stigma that, I don't know, it's cheating, or it's a personal failure,
or whatever reason - you just see the look of disdain on their face when it comes up in relation to themselves.

I've been doing WW as a way to work on tracking and accountability. One women was talking about her PCP
suggesting WLS and I could tell she just didn't take it serious as an option. I really wanted to approach her
and at least offer to give my own experience.

I find WLS a very personal decision. I'm just not sure what I should do.

Pros and Cons anyone?

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/16 4:58 pm

I consider it a need to know basis only. Since most people including PCP's don't really understand what goes into it, they can't objectively evaluate it as an option.

Generally, I only see downside in sharing very personal decisions unless you know the other person is open minded to the discussion.

Hokie-n-TN
on 7/19/16 7:22 pm
DS on 08/02/16

I think there are pros and cons discussing WLS with others regardless whether you know them personally or you are in a support group/meeting such as WW. I have not had surgery yet. My DS is scheduled for August 2. It took me 11 years to accept that I am not able to lose the weight on my own with diet and exercise. Making the decision or even thinking about having WLS is not easy for anyone to make. Sharing your experience with WLS makes you vulnerable but at the same time it could be the reason someone really considers WLS an option. 

PeteA
on 7/20/16 6:12 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I got my surgery on my 3rd go round so I'm familiar with not quite being ready to make the decision. I'll have to think
about it. Most of the time before I decided on WLS I'm not sure I would have appreciated even an even handed offer
for information about surgery. There is always a lot of emotional baggage going on during the process.

Valerie G.
on 7/20/16 5:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

She brought it up - this is an invitation for feedback.  There may be many feeling as hopeless as we all felt at some time, and others may benefit from what you have to share.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 7/20/16 6:14 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Maybe. It was the attitude she exhibited when she mentioned it that gives me pause. I may wait a couple of weeks 
and try and get a better idea of if she might really be interested. It's somewhat hard to tell becaus of course it is WW.
Kind of like talking about RnY on a DS site. Not quite a good fit...

Crazeru
on 7/21/16 11:24 am

I'm an open book and share with anyone who wants info on WLS.  I explain why I had the DS for my insulin dependent diabetes and that I'm normal now.  If they say that's the easy way out, I tell them it's easier for me to eat more protein and fat than give myself shots daily.  With all the meds I was on, it was almost impossible to lose any weight.  Now, I take a presc for potassium and lots of vitamins.  My body does better with the vitamins than it did with the 8-10 presc that was I taking.  Lucky me, get most of the bad side effects from presc meds.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Isha F.
on 7/25/16 1:49 pm

This happened to me, something similar. 

I couldn't resist, even though I don't discuss my surgery in general because I am super private.

In this case the gal is very obese like I was.  She has been dieting FOREVER, just like we all had, right?

She said her Dr had mentioned WLS to her (RNY) and I just said, "Have you ever heard of DS?"

She hadn't, so I wrote it down for her to research on her own.  I felt it was just the right thing to do at the time.   I didn't discuss myself. One of my biggest hang ups about WLS was that I love to eat!  Once I educated myself about DS and saw that I could lose the weight, and eat fairly normal, I knew it was the choice for me.

I just hate it when people don't have at least a chance to know.

Isha - I lost 235 pounds EATING NORMAL!  Saavy? Click on my name to find out why I chose the Duodenal Switch Surgery instead. 

isha.jpg picture by leaannjohnson
 Captain Hook: [to Wendy] Didst thou ever want to be a pirate? 

amcb78
on 7/26/16 6:04 pm

I would have to say - I have been on both sides of the conversation. Once I hit 300 lbs. everyone kept telling me 'get WLS'. Well that's easier said then done. Between insurance companies, medical problems, 2 pregnancies, and meeting my father's BIGGER family, I have finally seen that I need this BPD done....LIKE YESTERDAY. But it's something I needed to see on my own. So I would say have you heard of BPD surgery. And let her research on her own. But also let her know you are willing to tell her your experience with the surgery. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 171 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 701 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views