DS in St. Lou MO region?

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/5/16 2:43 pm - Belleville, IL

Dear DS'ers:

Am having problems with my RNY after 6+ years out (Staple line failure-Food air causing problems in remnant stomach) thinking of the DS. However... The local "chop and shop" Bari places around here just do the band/VSG and RNY. (That I know of...).

Does anyone know if the DS is done in ANY place in St. Louis MO (St. Lou University-Washington U, BJC or Mo-Bap, etc...There are a TON of medical residency universities around...)  OR if there is any place in Mid to southern IL.. (Springfield IL or lower?)

This would be a revision due to a medical failure of the staple line and causing RH/Liver failure and other serious med problems, there has been no weight gain, just leakage in remnant stomach and severe health problems.  I have Medicare AB and a Supplement and cannot in any way afford to go to Mexico or another state I am afraid.  I appreciate any answers you have.

Good health and best regards:

Warmly,

Jackie E.

larra
on 8/5/16 6:33 pm - bay area, CA

Jackie, there are no DS surgeons in your general area, let alone a DS surgeon experienced with RNY to DS revisions, which are much more complex and high risk than a virgin DS. I will send you a pm with info on some surgeons who do these complex revisions and hope you can find some way to travel to one of them, because that's what it's going to take. I would not recommend travel to Mexico for this surgery even if I knew of a surgeon there who did this due to the higher level of risk for this operation, so not being able to go to Mexico is not an issue.

Larra

Donna L.
on 8/7/16 11:00 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I would check with the University of Chicago which is about 5 hours from you.  They are nationally recognized and also have surgeries experienced in doing DS revisions.  It is one of the best places in the country to go, as some of the best surgeons work here.  My surgeon did his residency there (which is part of why I chose him even though I only had the VSG).   It's further than your request, but it is well worth the drive, honestly.  Carle Hospital in Urbana IL is closer and they have bariatrics but they do not do the DS either.  It's unlikely you will find a DS surgeon outside of very large major cities who is familiar with revision.

Thing is, it is absolutely vital you get a surgeon familiar with revisions though, as RNY to DS is a complex procedure.  That's why many people fly across country to Dr. K in California (a fabulous revision surgeon), for example.    

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views