3 weeks post surgery

pomluvr
on 11/23/17 10:11 am
DS on 11/08/17

Hi Everyone,

I'm now into my puree phase and also feeling depressed, thinking "what have I done?!" I've been fine with following the guidelines, but its the constant trips to the bathroom every 15min. Will my life ever be "regular" again? I ended up going this route due to a failed hernia repair and in order for me to get the repair fixed, I needed to lose weight. I've always been overweight, but never sought surgery as my first choice. But this is the route I needed to take. In the months leading up to the surgery, I was looking forward to this new life, new body, improved health. Now that the surgery has taken place, I'm still okay with it. Its just the constant trips to the bathroom, I feel like I'm tied down. Will this get better? Will it always be like this? I am so sad right now and I know this isn't helping my recovery, or state of mind. Please, someone tell me this will pass.

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/23/17 3:23 pm
You'll get back to "normal" once you back on solid foods. Ask your doctor if you can use a fiber drink supplement. It will firm things up.

Scott
pomluvr
on 11/23/17 5:44 pm
DS on 11/08/17

Thanks Scott. I called my dr and said the same thing. ?

hollykim
on 11/23/17 4:53 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 23, 2017 at 6:11 PM Pacific Time, pomluvr wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm now into my puree phase and also feeling depressed, thinking "what have I done?!" I've been fine with following the guidelines, but its the constant trips to the bathroom every 15min. Will my life ever be "regular" again? I ended up going this route due to a failed hernia repair and in order for me to get the repair fixed, I needed to lose weight. I've always been overweight, but never sought surgery as my first choice. But this is the route I needed to take. In the months leading up to the surgery, I was looking forward to this new life, new body, improved health. Now that the surgery has taken place, I'm still okay with it. Its just the constant trips to the bathroom, I feel like I'm tied down. Will this get better? Will it always be like this? I am so sad right now and I know this isn't helping my recovery, or state of mind. Please, someone tell me this will pass.

what are you eating? Carbs will cause lots of liquids stools as will artificial sweeteners ending in ol like xylitol

pomluvr
on 11/23/17 5:47 pm
DS on 11/08/17

I've been trying to drink my Premiere Protein, I've had a little tuna, and some fat free cottage cheese. That's it. My dr recommended I have some Metamucil to get fiber in my diet, which will help. Thank you.

Valerie G.
on 11/24/17 10:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Forget fat-free and low-fat substitutes for the real thing. You are malabsorbing 80% of the fat you eat, so you need it. Also, it is okay to take Immodium. I did a few times the first few weeks.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 11/23/17 7:18 pm

Forget fat free. Forget fat free everything.

Start taking your calcium, that often stops the poops. And Imodium is your friend.

pomluvr
on 11/24/17 9:47 am
DS on 11/08/17

I have been taking all of my vitamins and will incorporate the Metamucil like my dr advised. Thank you for your suggestions.

PeteA
on 11/24/17 5:30 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I saw your Doc said to add the fiber additive and I hope that helps. Did he have anything to say about the frequency? I'm 4.5 years out and don't remember going that often (although pretty loose the first couple of weeks). You may have added a lot of liquids from the surgery that is coming out now.

All I can say is hang in there most of us get to the point where we have one or 2 BM's a day all depending on what we ate that day, of course.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

pomluvr
on 11/24/17 6:37 pm
DS on 11/08/17

Thank you. The Metamucil has helped so far. And I've actually been able to get down actual solid food, vs just liquid.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 361 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views