Almost ten years out and SO glad I had a DS

MelissaJane
on 4/10/18 5:36 am, edited 4/10/18 5:38 am - near Boston, MA

Haven't posted here in years and years, but I'm extremely grateful for this forum and have directed many others here. I learned so much here and got a great deal of support. I'm delighted to see that some of the people who inspired me then still post here now.

I had a DS about 9 and a half years ago. High weight was 320 or so [edit: hah! According to my long-unseen OH signature, my high weight was 332 - I'd forgotten!], I'm now around 158. My only DS-related issue is iron deficient anemia, for which I get periodic iron infusions, which keep my levels right where they should be. I had a tendency towards IBS before surgery, still do, but it's not a real problem. Basically I feel great and really don't pay much attention to my diet.

I'm back reading OH now because I'm researching plastic surgery. Ridiculously excited about losing this extra skin I'm toting about. (Who gets excited about surgery?! Oh, right. Bariatric patients!)

Best of luck to anyone considering the DS. It was the best decision I could possibly have made. I realized early on in my research that I would not do the RNY and the last decade has only reinforced that for me, as I've seen a number of friends have issues post-RNY.

Melissa 
 HW~332   SW~306  CW~160    
DS August 2008 
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/18 5:57 am
Janet P.
on 4/10/18 10:17 am

Welcome back. Your life sounds similar to mine especially with the anemia. I had plastics about 4 years after my DS and made sure that the surgeon had experience with WLS patients - fortunately for me several of my other WLS friends in the area all went to the same plastic surgeon. I had a TT and breast lift and am thrilled with both. I won't lie - recovery from the TT was hard - in fact harder than recovery from my DS. Not sure what procedures you're considering.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

MelissaJane
on 4/10/18 4:41 pm, edited 4/10/18 9:41 am - near Boston, MA

Hi Janet - You were one of those people who was both inspirational and extremely helpful to me back then. Thank you!

Melissa 
 HW~332   SW~306  CW~160    
DS August 2008 
Valerie G.
on 4/13/18 4:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's good to see you, Melissa

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Crazeru
on 4/18/18 4:14 pm

Welcome back. Yesterday was 10yrs for me. Iron infusions are about my only issue besides Potassium. Have to supplement. Congrats.

I had PS in Monterrey Mexico in 2011 & 2013 with Dr Sauceda. He's great with our mis-shapened bodies from years of dieting and WLS.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Loweeze1
on 4/18/18 7:58 pm

Thanks forsharing your experience with DS, strengt and your hope. Im at The best place Now for DS Surgery. I was going to UPENN for literally years getting zillions of tests doen that they never discussies resultaat with me.

Very disappointing experience. I would-be Not Recommended Presby- Univ Penn to anyone.

Im going to a great Surgeon who does DS. IT sounds like Rights Surgery for me. I got an iron infusion last year so no big deal if ijsvrij to get them again.

Wishing You The best in your continue journey.

Loweeze k.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 308 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 774 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views