Severely anemic, poor labs

Amy R.
on 4/30/19 6:19 pm

Mine are dry. The ones from the pharmacy are oil, and they are usually D2. My D3's are over the counter and I buy them online.

We can't absorb the D2's from the pharmacy very well at all and they're basically worthless to us post op.

I'm taking Bio Tech brand, and the bottle says "D3-50, Cholecalciferol, Dietary Supplement". I paid around $30 plus shipping for 100 capsules and it lasts close to a year. Not sure if adding a link is ok in here but you can find the Bio Tech website easily if you Google it.

Hope this helps. Take care and good for you for getting on top of this now. It's critical, as you're discovering, but not every surgeon educates their patients sufficiently.

dustycroy
on 5/1/19 11:44 pm
DS on 05/14/13
Thank you so much..... for all the information..... so interesting

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Grim_Traveller
on 5/2/19 9:50 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Is it prescriotion D? All of the prescription D I have seen is in oil, and D2, not D3.

D2 must be transformed in our bodies to D3 before it can be used. Only a small percentage becomes D3. If it is in oil, we absorb even less. You are likely getting very little benefit from prescription D2. You can get dry D3 inexpensively on Amazon and other places, and it will boost your numbers much better.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

dustycroy
on 5/2/19 5:09 pm
DS on 05/14/13
Yes, it is D2 50,000.00 . He is having me take one of those for four days in a row and then two every week after that.... Ive heard of others taking the two a week also.... I will try what he says, and see what the numbers are.... I am also very cautious about this... but will try his way.... after that I will just choose a D3 regimen. Thank you for chiming in...... its much appreciated...

Eliza970
on 4/30/19 2:26 pm

Your levels are very concerning. My hemoglobin went to 8 and my doctor was alarmed. I had the iron infusion the next day. The dry vitamin D3 comes from Biotech. It has a 50,000 IU dose. Your vitamin A levels are also concerning. Biotech has a 25,000 IU dry vitamin A. You can search posts on this site about what people take, but you should use your labs as a guide for what you need. Everyone's vitamin needs are different. There are many good brands, but these are the ones I take daily, except when noted. Don't take any vitamin in an oil based capsule. The doses are tweaked here and there over the years based on my labs and/or research. I find it easier to remember them alphabetically.

A (dry from Biotech) 25,000 IU daily.

B (stress complex from Twinlabs, because of my low B labs. Check labs before using) 250 mg daily

C (from Soloray, helps increase absorption of iron, take them together) 1000 mg

Copper (from Soloray one tablet a week, not with zinc) 2 mg

D (dry from Biotech) 50,000 IU daily (took more when my labs were low)

E (dry from Soloray) 400 IU

Iron (Proferrin with vitamin C before breakfast, not with zinc or copper) 28 mg

K1 (dry K1, from Soloray, every other day) 100 mcg

K2 (dry K2 from Relentless Improvement) 15,000 mcg (this is a lot more than most people take but I am at risk of osteoporosis] 3 daily, not all at once

Multivitamin (I use Centrum)

Zinc (from Soloray, three times a week, not with copper or iron) 50 mg.

I organize them in three 2-week trays from the drug store, which minimizes the work and reminds me to buy ones I have a low supply). Again, your needs may vary from mine, so get a good panel of labs for vitamins and minerals and the advice of a bariatric nutritionist and go from there.

I am so impressed with your being a caregiver for your husband. It's a ruthless disease and it is very hard to be a caregiver. Kudos to you.

dustycroy
on 5/2/19 9:20 am
DS on 05/14/13
Thank you for taking the time to list all your vits. Its always interesting to see what others like myself have to take or do to keep themselves healthy....... A LOT! is always the answer....... I can never say that I didnt know what I was getting myself into.... I researched daily and nightly for almost eight months..... before having the surgery. It is so true that I traded one problem in for another...... Ive been thinking about that phrase a lot lately....

Janet P.
on 5/1/19 11:52 am

I take 150K of Biotech D3 every day and it keeps my levels in the low normal range. Have been taking it for years with no side effects (that I know of).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

dustycroy
on 5/1/19 11:46 pm
DS on 05/14/13
Thank you so much, everyone has been so kind to respond with so much info that I really need..... I am so very great full....

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 299 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 771 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 256 views