Iron Plus Vitamin Patch by PatchAid ????

dustycroy
on 5/3/20 1:10 am
DS on 05/14/13
Ive had to recieve a few injectafer infusions over the past year. For severe anemia. Its been hard for me to take my oral carbonyl iron. I dont like taking care of it this way. They get me close to normal, and then they wait three months for me to be so far in the hole to where I have to have another infusion. Up, down. Up, down. Crazy way to address it.. Anyways I have come across these iron patches that you change on a daily basis. I get them in a couple of days. Has anyone heard about them , or used them???? I bought them online at the BariatricPal Store This seems like a god send and a more even and steady approach to my iron deficiancy.

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

hollykim
on 5/3/20 9:02 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 3, 2020 at 8:10 AM Pacific Time, dustycroy wrote:
Ive had to recieve a few injectafer infusions over the past year. For severe anemia. Its been hard for me to take my oral carbonyl iron. I dont like taking care of it this way. They get me close to normal, and then they wait three months for me to be so far in the hole to where I have to have another infusion. Up, down. Up, down. Crazy way to address it.. Anyways I have come across these iron patches that you change on a daily basis. I get them in a couple of days. Has anyone heard about them , or used them???? I bought them online at the BariatricPal Store This seems like a god send and a more even and steady approach to my iron deficiancy.

I don't use this brand and know nothing about them. I use PatchMD but they are not a stand alone supplement for me. I no longer absorb oral iron at all, so infusions are always in my future.

my endocrinologist thinks using the patches helps me maintain my iron levels for longer between infusions,so the infusions are not necessary as often.

 


          

 

dustycroy
on 5/3/20 5:17 pm
DS on 05/14/13
Thanks for the info. I know with the iron patches that I am waiting for they said depending on your levels you can wear two a day if needed. I will "of course" start with one, check my levels in a month, and go from there. Have you tried using more than one? It seems like if you are using the patch and still having to have infusions that maybe just adjusting the patch amount might make it to where maybe you wouldnt need the infusions. LOL, of course Im just thinking out loud. I will look into the patches that you say you are on and see the amount of iron they provide. I am so hoping that this is my answer to a more "LEVEL" form of getting my iron, and my life can get back to normal.

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

hollykim
on 5/4/20 8:41 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 4, 2020 at 12:17 AM Pacific Time, dustycroy wrote:
Thanks for the info. I know with the iron patches that I am waiting for they said depending on your levels you can wear two a day if needed. I will "of course" start with one, check my levels in a month, and go from there. Have you tried using more than one? It seems like if you are using the patch and still having to have infusions that maybe just adjusting the patch amount might make it to where maybe you wouldnt need the infusions. LOL, of course Im just thinking out loud. I will look into the patches that you say you are on and see the amount of iron they provide. I am so hoping that this is my answer to a more "LEVEL" form of getting my iron, and my life can get back to normal.

yes I currently use two patches a day and still have to have the Injectifer. But the time between needing infusions is every 6-9 months instead of every three months.

 


          

 

dustycroy
on 5/5/20 8:59 am
DS on 05/14/13
My Ferritin has been running a 6 lately. Im just curious what you ran before using the patch against what you run now. Ive been as low as a 5.3 in the past.

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

hollykim
on 5/5/20 12:51 pm, edited 5/5/20 5:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 5, 2020 at 3:59 PM Pacific Time, dustycroy wrote: My Ferritin has been running a 6 lately. Im just curious what you ran before using the patch against what you run now. Ive been as low as a 5.3 in the past.

I would have to look back at my labs but am currently out of the country so can look. I will try to remember when I return and post then.

edited to add: I know that about 3 years or so ago my ferritin got life threatening low, so low like atrium 2 that I was sent for a blood transfusion and then my first Injectifer.

thos was pre patch's and while taking lots of oral iron which was determined not being absorbed at all.

 


          

 

dustycroy
on 5/5/20 1:36 pm
DS on 05/14/13
Sorry to put you on the spot about the levels. Just thought I would do a little comparison. Take your time and return home safely.

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Janet P.
on 5/4/20 6:50 am

I've been battling anemia for at least 15 years (I'm 17 years post-op). I was never able to maintain my iron levels with oral iron only. I'm sorry injectafer didn't work for you. It has been the only infusion drug that has worked for me. The combination of a good infusion drug (for me) and no longer having a monthly period has helped enormously. I've actually kept my levels above normal for almost 3 years. Sorry I've never tried the patches so I can't recommend either way.

Are you working with a hematologist?

I hope you can figure out what works best for you.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny
-175

dustycroy
on 5/5/20 8:44 am
DS on 05/14/13
Yes, but I have since changed insurance and moved on from him. I also was having to get injectofer every three months. They would get me out of the hole, and "almost" normal, and then I would wait another three months and I would be down in the hole again.. huffing and a puffing, no energy. I look like a little old lady and Im 54. I really am putting alot of faith in these patches.

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Janet P.
on 5/5/20 10:23 am

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. I assume you're post-menopausal and have completely eliminated any possible other causes (obviously other than the DS). I could usually get a year with the various infusions and I was having the same issues you are experiencing, but once we tried injectofer, it all changed.

I hope the patches work other you should try to find another hematologist who understand malabsorption.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny
-175

Most Active
200CM Common Channel
sporty333 · 0 replies · 24 views
Recent Topics
200CM Common Channel
sporty333 · 0 replies · 24 views
Hyperchloremia
soontobelovely · 0 replies · 206 views
DS or RNY
Bushlisa77 · 5 replies · 659 views
×