If you lost 100% of your XS wait please share you a story

Plentyofbugs01
on 12/12/20 9:13 am, edited 12/15/20 6:42 am

Hey if you have had a DS and lost 100% of our excess wait what did you do? What was your weight last time I. What advice would you give

Janet P.
on 12/14/20 6:26 am

Not sure I'm following your question so here goes.

I had the DS almost 18 years ago. At surgery I weighed 320 pounds (5'3"). I lost all of my excess weight in just over a year. I weighed and measured all my food and followed the program 150%. I started working out about 3-4 months after surgery (once my surgeon gave me the OK). I lost 5 pounds a week for 5 months (100 pounds). Then I quit smoking so it took me another 5 months to lose the next 50 pounds. Then the last 20-25 pounds took probably another 5-6 months. I had plastic surgery about 2 years after losing all my weight and have kept it off ever since.

This morning when I got on the scale I weighed 149 pounds. I maintain my weight by eating more than 100 grams of protein per day, drink at least a gallon of water a day, and take ALL of my vitamins every day. I take a probiotic and fiber every morning. I balance carbs - I eat a ton to maintain my weight. if I notice the scale creeping up, I cut back on the carbs.

I have battled iron deficiency anemia since the beginning - my last infusion was almost 4 years ago and the numbers are still good. I also have osteoporosis (but I'm also 63 years old) so it's probably a combination of not absorbing calcium and genetics.

Otherwise life is good.

My advice is to follow the guidelines. Eat your protein, avoid carbs (if you're trying to lose weight), drink your water, and exercise.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

DianaReid
on 12/14/20 6:57 am, edited 12/16/20 4:33 pm

Thank you for your interesting story and tips.

Fairoaks
on 2/28/21 3:52 pm - Boise, ID

I had my DS surgery on March 28, 2011, almost 10 years ago. feet 5 inches tall. I am 5Before surgery I weighed 255 pounds. I had a heart attack 2 years earlier. This was my last attempt to lose weight long term. I have struggled with my weight since age 20. My surgeon, Dr. Bonanni in the Philadelphia area, set my goal weight at 132. I got to about 125 within 1 year. I have maintained ever since. I am currently at 115 and trying to get back up to 120-125. My advice is simply to follow the standard advice on getting enough protein, taking supplements, getting lab tests done on a regular basis, attending follow-up visits and support meetings, etc. For the first time in my adult life, I was full and satisfied with moderate amounts of food. Don't get me wrong, the recovery and relearning process was not easy. But the weight came off and stayed off. I would do it over again in a heartbeat.

kaflly
on 6/12/21 11:26 am

Had my DS in Jan. 2009. Day of surgery I weighed 240 pounds and wore size 28 jeans, I'm 5' tall. Today I weigh 120 and wear a size 4 petite. My BMI is in the normal range. I do have loose skin, mostly on my abdomen. No getting around that without more surgery.

It took about a year to lose it all and unless I start laying into the carbs it's easy to maintain. I allow myself two pounds over my goal weight for normal fluctuations. Any more and I think about what I've been eating and adjust from there. It's almost always due to too many carbs. So, while I don't diet I have to be mindful of what I eat.

I still follow my doctor's rules, keep my carbs low, and get in my supplements. This site and board have a lot of great advice some of which I still follow. I still have good restriction.

I am anemic but supplements help that. I had a complication after surgery and was readmitted for a one-week stay. I'd do it all over again even with that.

It took me almost two years of research and decision-making to get a DS, I didn't take the DS lightly.

The way I look at it is I'm an obese person and always will be, as much as an addict will always be an addict even after becoming sober. Maybe not on the outside but on the inside. The DS didn't fix my relationship with food that's all on me to work on. It did help me get the weight off, something I'd struggled with all my life.

The DS is a great weight loss tool and I have no regrets.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 310 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 775 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views