RNY then revision now want DS

Zaniiaim
on 1/29/21 3:51 am - CA

My story is somewhat complicated. I had my RNY in 2012 and had good success but not great. The weight slowly crept back on. In 2019 I found a doctor who "tightened" my pouch. I'm not sure it was necessary or the finer details of what he did but no intestine was removed. I never lost a pound and did t follow up (I know I know) as I was ashamed. Now I really want revision. I believe DS is my best bet and decided to make an appt with a doctor who has done these. The problem is I am on numerous meds that cause weight gain and hunger. Not making excuses but it's extremely difficult for me to lose. Will DS even work? I guess what I want to know is if anyone has a similar story to share. I feel very alone in this process. Thanks for reading.

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

Janet P.
on 2/1/21 3:15 am

I've been on discussion boards on and off for 18 years. I doubt you're going to find someone else in your situation but there may be somebody out there. Make sure that the doctor has experience with the RNY to DS conversion (it's complicated). What statistics can he quote? From things I've read over the years on these board, you may lose a few pounds. You say you take meds that cause weight gain and hunger. How did you change your eating habits with your two other surgeries?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

califsleevin
on 2/3/21 10:27 am, edited 2/3/21 2:57 am - CA

I have had dealings with both Drs Rabkin and Keshishian, the two docs here in CA experienced with this revision (if you aren't talking to one of them, you should be...) I have seen a few come through our support groups over the years with the RNY/DS revision (including a couple of double revisers - Lapband to RNY to DS) and they overall seem to have done well.

Any revision tends to be less powerful than a virgin procedure (my simple minded way of looking at it is that our stomachs start out being able to hold 32-64 oz, but after WLS and even some years of adapting/stretching, they maybe hold 6-8 oz, so there is a less significant difference than with the original WLS - we have gotten used to living with a smaller stomach and adapted to it - sometimes over-adapted.) However, the DS is metabolically stronger than the RNY or VSG, so does tend to give better overall results, and most particularly, better regain resistance.

Your mention of not following up is a bit of a concern - the DS is somewhat fussier on that than the RNY (which can be fussy enough as it is.) So, you need to commit to keeping up with annual labs/follow ups to stay on top of any changes that occur in you. Some get into real trouble by letting that slide with the DS, but those who keep up with it and make appropriate changes maintain a high level of health and good weight over the long haul - I see many in our support group who are in the 10-20 year range and living well.

Your best bet is to talk to the doc on your specific concerns - both Dr. R and K have been in the DS business for around 20 years, so they know well what it can and can't do, and how to tailor it to fit different cir****tances. If anyone has seen someone else in your situation, it would be them.

Note - this all applies to the "traditional" BPD/DS, the newer, simpler SIPS/SADI/"loop DS" is a somewhat different animal that may or may not work as well for you - it's newer, so the jury is still out on it.

Good luck, whichever way you go!

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Plentyofbugs01
on 2/4/21 8:35 pm

I too have failed. I really believe that I will not succeed until I deal with my compulsive eating addiction. It is 100% more persistent than any WLS.

Janet P.
on 2/5/21 3:59 am

WLS is just the tool and I believe that unless you change your eating habits along with having surgery (no matter what type of surgery you choose) it won't work. You may lose weight but you may not be successful (if you know what I mean). I went all in - including therapy, learning about my body, my vitamins, exercising and finally taking care of my whole body. I really don't believe I would have been as successful as I've been had I not done that. I'm the one who defines my success - it's not just the number on the scale. It's how I see and treat food and myself.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views