Lost another 10 pounds. Now underweight.

Minnie10
on 2/17/23 4:59 pm

Hi I'm getting worried that I was steady at 125 for a couple of years since I had a DS. After having my gallbladder removed 2 years ago I'm wondering if that's why I lost another 10 pounds. I can't get my weight back up which I am now considered underweight. My family said I look sick and too skinny. Does a removal of a gallbladder do something to the DS metabolism? Noticed I started to lose the weight slowly after the removal. Please help me with this question. Very worried.

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 2/17/23 7:39 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

Hi there!

Not sure how much this might help since I just had my gallbladder out a week ago.

My surgeon and team actually told me that the gallbladder removal might enable me to eat more since the stomach adapts to the changes. Even seven months out I struggle to eat the amount they think I should in a single sitting, so this was a point they specifically raised as an outcome from the surgery. It's still really too soon for me to be able to tell a difference, so maybe other DSers can weigh in.

Has your diet changed? Or your macros in that time? Can you eat more?

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

PattyL
on 2/18/23 11:55 am

You still need to eat high protein but you can back off on restricting carbs. So eat protein plus whatever looks good. Are your protein numbers good? Eating a little more and having some carbs is the easy answer. If that works, great!

If that is not enough you can try something like Creon or Viokase. Both of these help you absorb more of what you eat.

Honestly don't think the GB has much to do with it. It just happened. And you will change again somewhere down the road.

Jmm4321
on 2/19/23 9:24 pm

Your body will gravitate to the right place but it may take time. I was very underweight for 2 to 3 years before I finally stabilized. And this was after being morbidly obese.

Fortunately, our bodies are amazing in their ability to adapt.

White Dove
on 2/24/23 11:22 pm - Warren, OH

It can take about three years for our body to completely adjust. Part of that adjustment is that your face and body fills in and you no longer look too skinny. It is normal to have bounceback regain or 20 or so pounds in the second year after surgery. My surgeon recommends going 10, 20 or even 30 pounds under weight during the honeymoon phase when weight loss is easy. That gives a nice cushion for the bounceback phase that is coming.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 319 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views