very sad

luceer
on 1/2/12 4:50 pm - Mission, TX
I was doing great till in 09 in fell and tore my acl in my right knee. I lost 100 lbs..but that has been it.  My depression kicked in full force and then a year later after constantly falling and the doctors not wanting to do surgery on my knee, i finally found someone who did.  but still since September 10 i have failed.  I hurt everywhere now. and well i am just stuck.  need a friend to help me again. motivate me again.  i want to restart the cycle but i am afraid to go back to the doctor.  any ideas??? do i just start cold turkey again??? thank you
justmealso
on 1/4/12 6:05 am

I am telling you what I have started doing last November and I have lost 12 lbs.  Not earth shattering but I made it through the holidays without gaining! Sounds like exercise is mostly out of the question so you are going to have to do it with diet alone.  First get all junk food out of your house and make it a safe place.  At breakfast, lunch and dinner eat 3 oz. lean protein, veggies and whole grains 1/2 c brown rice, yam, whole wheat pasta or a slice of whole wheat bread.  3 times a day eat fruit and high protein, low fat dairy (plain Greek yogurt, slice of fat free cheese, 1/2 c fat free cottage cheese).  Eat 150 calories of nuts or healthy oil once a day.  The only nuts I can keep in the house is walnuts.  All the others I cheat on....oh well!  That is under 1400 calories and you will feel full.  You will lose slowly but you will lose weight.  Every day you will have a smidgen less fat on you and your energy will increase a little.  Seriously get the crackers, butter, peanut butter, candy, cakes, cookies etc. out of the house.  Never drink any calories because they slide right threw.  No soda, alcohol, even skim milk isn't as filling and has more carbs than the dairy I mentioned before.  Lastly believe that you will lose weight if you do this...because you really will.  Eating junk will not make you feel better.  View it as a way to learn new eating habits you can take with you for the rest of your life.  Maybe someday you can walk to the end of your driveway and back.  and a month later to your neighbors driveway and back.  You are not "stuck" you just need to do a "u turn".  I post on the "back on track together" group.  Many, many of us are in your position.  Please do not be discouraged...crap just happens.  We really help each other.  Just me  

Christe1101
on 1/18/12 5:17 am - indianapolis, IN

I too feel sad. I have gained back 80 pounds of my 187 pound loss. My surgery was in October 2006. Everything was great until I had my ovaries removed in late 2008 because of a huge cyst. After that things started going downhill. It scares me to think about all the food I am able to eat. Sometime I feel overly full and other times I just feel satisfied, but I still know I am eating too much. Today for breakfast I had two eggs and a piece of cheese, for lunch I went to the cafeteria and had chicken stir fry with grilled and popcorn chicken and fried rice (huge portion) and I ate it all. It was one of those white meal containers you get at restaraunts for to go orders. I can't believe I ate it all and felt full, but not sickling full. Then this afternoon I ate two Reece cups. I have decided I will not put another bite in my mouth today.

I finally gathered up enough courage to call my surgeon. I haven't been to a check up in a long time because I am embarassed of the weight I gained. I know part of my problem was allowing myself to drink alcohol on the weekends. If you haven't went down that road. PLEASE DON'T. Alcohol is nothing but empty calories and can cause a lot of heartache for friends, family and yourself. Don't even go there. If you had RNY your body cannot take as much and it is easy to find that you are beginning to have a transfer addiction. Best to nip it in the bud. I figured my first step is accountability and that is why I called the bariatric center and came clean about what I had been doing. I am waiting for them to call me with an appointment. I am nervous about facing the surgeon and feel really ashamed because I worked so hard to get to my goal weight and now I feel like a failure. Anyway, I know what you mean about feeling sad. Maybe we can encourage each other. I intend to come on this site as often as possible to share my experience and to have some accountability. Good luck to you in starting fresh and to all of us who are struggling. 

luceer
on 1/18/12 7:20 am - Mission, TX
I agree.... I do believe i need someone who has been down this same road to talk to.  I would love to be each others motivation.  Lets do it... We are strong... We have both ran smack into a wall but...... like all walls we can go over under around or just knock it the hell out of our way...... Thank you soooo much your reply has just given me that energy boost i needed... Let us kick some butt and let me know how it went at the doctors office.. smooches Lucee
nunini
on 1/20/12 1:16 am, edited 1/20/12 1:18 am - Hollywood, FL
Have you heard about the 5-day pouch test?   It's supposed to put you back in touch with your pouch, and back on track with the high-protein, low processed carb way of eating.  Here is the link:

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/

I plan to start this weekend because even though I have not gained any weight back I'm still 10 pounds from my goal, and the scale won't budge!

BTW, my cousin transferred his addiction to alcohol after losing 130 lbs, gained back 50 and ended up a raging alcoholic who had to be Baker Acted into the Psych Ward at Jackson Memorial Hospital.  He is now in AA and has lost 35 of the 50 lbs he gained.

Alcoholism is a real threat to RNY patients and surgeons do not emphasize it enough.  I have mentioned it at my support group meetings and the nutritionist acts like it's no big deal.

Good luck in your journey to get back on track!

diane
on 4/12/12 11:09 am - Covington, LA
In Nov 2005 i had surgery and lost 208 lbs.  I've gained back 100 of it and just like you all I have my own reason.....salt craving...and caving in and eating anywhere from 1 or 2 large bags of chips a day to 10 little ones for at least 18 months.  My anemia is under control a nd I have some energy.  I've been walking all week long.  Today I got up to 1.2 miles.   I'm hoping to get up further.  I've increased my water intake and I'm trying hard to avoid anything fattening. 

I would definitely love to support others in my same situation.     I have seen a second surgeon and I am waiting approval for my revision, but honestly I have no hope for it so I'm on a mission to do it on my own.

Diane
Most Active