Band over RNY story- Doing Great!!

JeannieBVA1
on 3/28/12 12:18 am
Long stroy short..  I had a RNY in 1993 and lost 110lbs.  By 1998 I had gained 60% of it back and by 2007 I had gained all of it back. 

The doctor did test and showed my stoma had stretched and this was the cuase of my weight gain.  He suggested band over RNY and told me if I was luck I would lose maybe half of what I gained.  So in 2009 I had the band and within a year lost 100lbs.  I went from 265 to 165. 

I'm glad to report that I have stayed at 160-165 lbs for 1 1/2 years now and it seems to be working.  This is a good weight for me as I'm 5'8 tall...So based on my experience I would reccomend the band as a revisional surgery.

I also want to say that even though the RNY failed, I think it helped me understand the restriction I was suppose to feel and this helped me when getting my band filled.  It allowed me to judge it better and know how tight I needed to be.

I'm praying this will last long term.  As long as I have no complicatoins I will never have it taken out.  I did have the fluid taken out one time about 6 months after surgery to have another procedure done (Unrelated to bypass stuff)  and I was able to eat A LOT!!  So I know that just because I've lost my weight.. I still need the band as my tool for help.

Good luck in your decisions!!  God Bless you!! 

Jeannie
philipwife
on 3/28/12 8:59 am - Converse, TX
Revision on 02/13/14
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I hope to have lap band someday in future. I am having hard time trying to lose the weight i have regain. You give me hope.

Sharon HW278/RNY 9/03 SW268.6/LW162 1/3/14 Consultation wgt regain 262.8 Overstitch 2/13/14 SW247.2/LW197

JeannieBVA1
on 3/29/12 12:44 pm
Yes Philipwife.... there is hope.. When I had my 2nd surgery done there was not a lot on this site about it. 

The other great thing was due to the stoma stretching.... My insurance paid for the revisions surgery.. I had  I can't remember who I had .. I think it was Anthem. 

Also when I did my research.. Even though I was 100lbs over in body weight.. I dont think I would have needed to be for the revision surgery.  The guidelines was not as strict... good Luck
LYNN11
on 4/18/12 4:46 am - VALLEJO, CA
I just started reseaching the band over bipass surgery, I had loss 275 lbs with my RNY back in 2005. I have gained back 150 and extremely depressed. I have a question, did you use the same surgeon who did your RNY?  I am so ashamed to even go for my checkups. I have been seeing my primary doctor, but have not gone back to my surgeon in several years.
 Thanks for posting

Lynn
JeannieBVA1
on 4/18/12 8:33 am
Lynn.... DO NOT FEEL ASHAMED!!   I think the RNY has failed a lot of people... I dont think a lot of people failed the RNY.... My stoma had stretched and that was not my fault!!   I'm sure if you have yours checked, you will see the same.. I know a lot of people that had the RNY and NONE of them kept the wieght off after 5 years...  NONE... out of the 40 or so people I know that had it done.. 

I know there is people that still believe in the RNY and are getting them done.. My recommendation is Do NOT!!  

Not just because of my experience but because of the whole picture!! 

No.. I did not use the same Dr. that did my RNY... I went to him about the band and he would not do it.  His suggestion was a revision. (NO WAY)    So I chose another Dr. that was well known to the are (Dr. Bendehim) in Richmond VA.

Good luck!!
rcarper1965
on 5/3/12 3:35 am - OH
 Jeannie, why do you suggest the band over the RNY?  I have done quite a bit of research myself and always find that the band has a lower success rate than the RNY and the band only says 40 to 60% of excess weight loss when the RNY says 50 to 70% excess weight loss.  I ask this because I see the surgeon on May 16th.  I have started the process and have my psychological May 7th.  I am sure I want the gastric bypass from the research I have seen.  I am not doubting you but if you can show me facts that would change my mind, please do so.  I also know several people who have had the RNY done and have had a very successful outcome.  Thanks for you time.
JeannieBVA1
on 5/3/12 7:30 am
Based on my personel experience......... I had the RNY and it failed... Stoma stretched and I gained all my weight back......  I know probably about 25 people that have had the band done and ALL of them have gained the weight back.....

I lost 100% of my excess weight... I'm 5'8... went from 260lbs this time to 160 lbs.  I have stayed at this weight for over 2 years... Should I start to gain back some.. I can always have the band tightend... I have not had the band tightend in about 2 years and hold great... Good luck!! Hope it all works out for you..
Whit
on 5/31/12 8:55 am
Revision on 12/10/12
 HI I have RNY in 2002 and kept the weight off for about 5 years then have slowly put back on 60 pounds. If I had it to do over again I would get the Duodenal Switch. Hands down no question. If you have not had weight loss surgery it is not too complicated and can mostly be done Lap. It becomes more complicated if it is RNY to DS.  

Do your research and do not just go with what your surgeon offers as he/she may steer you in a direction that is not right for you. Go for what you want.

Best
Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Spacely StarKiller
on 10/8/12 3:39 pm - Montreal, Canada
Hi there...

I'm feeling a little desperate for inspiration, even thinking of dropping off of this site... you see I thought that I had a long wait and my revision from RNY Gastric Bypass -to- BOB is in a month. I've been bullied when expressing my joy for this new, very soon surgery date.

Bullied! By people saying that their revision surgery (DS) is so much better and that I will fail. That the band will fail. Even being nasty and wishing me "well" because "you'll need it."

I cried my eyes out for the past several nights in a row. Thinking I had a community of support, people who understood... then just having sand kicked in my face.

When you feel desperate, when you feel it's your only hope. When you and your Doctor have decided... when it's a few weeks away........

I'm feeling so alone right now. So just alone.

-Serena

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

JeannieBVA1
on 10/8/12 4:02 pm
Serena..

Opionions are a lot like Aholes... everybody has one.... 

Do your research and make a decision for YOU....  This is your body and you have to live
with it.

I can tell you that I'm still doing GREAT with my band over RNY.  I have maintained my
weight going on 2 years now.  After having lost 100lbs 2nd go around..

I'm not saying the band is going to be for everyone.... NO ONE KNOWS which surgery
will work best for you..  Anything could happen... Your body could reject any one of these
surgeries.  It's going to be a chance with which ever one you choose. 

My niece recently had the sleeve done.... I begged her to try the band first... Poor women is
having terrible issues and problems now with the sleeve.  

The band is "For sure" the least avasive approach to take.. And  "For Me" it worked and is
still working!!  

Good luck and remember there are those of us on here that "resepct" and wish you luck, regardless of which decision you make :-)

Most Active