What do you think?

hpaige28
on 7/24/13 11:14 pm - Manchester, NH

4 years ago I had the lap band surgery. The first part of the year after I had the surgery was positive. I was losing weight and feeling good. Then I hit a plateau and then started having problems keeping any food in. I was back & forth at the dr's getting saline in and saline taken out. I only lost 20 pounds after the surgery. After about two years of this yo- yo like I was frustrated and took  a break. I had all the fluid removed from my band.

I then spent a year trying to diet on my own. I still had PB issues even though there was nothing in my band. Then when I had gained back all the weight i had lost plus the 20 I had lost prior to surgery I decided to try it again.  At the end of my third year out I started getting fills. Too tight or not tight but had the same issues with constant PB and not being able to eat the right things because they were not going down.

I am now on my 4th year, The band is empty again and I have gained more weight. There are less people having the lab band surgery these days as medical reviews show that the band does not seem to work for a larger portion of patients.  I need to try something.

Does someone suggest I try another surgery? Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Beginning Weight = 250
Surgery Weight = 229.1

tdbull
on 7/25/13 3:17 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I've had a band since 2007. Lost 130lbs in under 2 years, then started getting severe acid reflux and emergency unfills, then fills, and more unfills. I have gained weight and am schedule for band to RNY revision in a few weeks. I can't wait to be rid of this finicky band.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Ashley in Belgium
on 7/25/13 5:30 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

All of this sounds achingly familiar....  I had the Band placed in 2006 and lost 75 lbs the first year and then slowly regained after 3 years post-op back up to 250 lbs.  I had several fills and un-fills and then my port flipped, it seemed like it was never just Okay.  I have an empty Band (going on 4 years now) and I still slime and PB if I haven't warmed it up with hot drinks before I eat.  I am unable to eat and keep down 'healthy' foods (fish is a nightmare, chicken,  greens etc.). I spend so much of my time strategizing about how I can eat; everyday is a challenge.  The fickleness and unpredictability of the Band is frustrating!surprise

This January I began having pain at my port site as well as acid reflux (never had this before Banding) and discovered that I have several ulcers and that my Band has eroded to such a point into my stomach that they can't see it during the scopes.  

So it has to come out!!!  angry  I am having revision surgery -Gastric Bypass on Gastric Banding- in less than 2 weeks.  I am nervous and excited.  The same surgeon who placed my Band will do the revision to RNY.  Incidentally, my surgeon will no longer place LapBands as he and his team feel that they are not effective in the long term for optimal weight loss and general health. 

I hope you find a solution that works for you.  If you want to know how it goes for me with the Revision or if I can help in some what just send me an e-mail.

Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

epurple84
on 8/5/13 9:39 am - MD

I am writing to tell you that you are not alone. I also had the lap band procedure done and it was not successful. I am looking for another solution to help me lose weight. Cheryl

danixbanani
on 8/6/13 5:57 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Yes, yes, yes and YES pursue another surgery!  My story is similar to yours, got the lapband placed in 2008, lost only 50lbs my first year and THAT was it.  After two years of maintaining that lose but not losing anymore, the complications and frustrations started.  I started getting stuck at EVERY meal, no matter what I did or how much I chewed my food to mush.  I would always have to puke it back up, no matter where I was.  I developed a hiatel hernia and GERD (really bad acid reflux) due to this.  

Long story short, I revised to the sleeve in October 2012 and life has been GREAT.  I have a normal stomach just smaller.  I'm able to eat almost anything (although I SHOULDN'T always eat everything and anything but it's nice to have the option).  Life is so much easier now, I don't have to constantly worry about what I'm going to eat.  I can eat healthful, whole foods.  I'm 5'2" and my starting weight was 234 on day of surgery.  I've lost 80 pounds in 10 months and I feel great (and LOOK great, toot tooting my own horn here).  I have zero regrets.  I'm SO glad I removed the band and revised to the sleeve. 

Anyway, I wish you luck.  Research your surgeon or find a new surgeon that is skilled in revisions and/or the sleeve.  Some people may tell you that the sleeve surgery is the "new kid" on the block but it really isn't.  They have been performing "sleeves" for YEARS for cancer patients and in the past 10 years doctors realized it worked really well for weight loss.  I'm so happy...PM me for more information if you're interested or read my blog below even though it is woefully outdated.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/13 10:12 pm

no i guess, other surgery is not suitable to u, as you are regaining weight again and again. You need to wait to consider the other surgery.

Rhonda53
on 12/15/14 5:43 pm

Seizures now bcuz of LB! Regret it. 

Randarenee

Most Active