need some help with med's choice

EOD WIFE
on 6/26/11 4:30 am - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
For the last 9 months I have been battleing chronic pain and in the last 4 months my doc has been ruling out everything under the sun. It has finally come down to Fibro.

I would like some imput on what meds are best. I sure don't want to gain back weight. But I am in so much pain and agony at this point I want something that will work.

Advice??

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

Hislady
on 6/27/11 12:40 pm - Vancouver, WA
I think most of us have found lyrica causes the worst weight gain but alot of us have had good results with cymbalta. Often we end up needing narctoics tho to really deal with the bad days. I'd suggest finding a good pain clinic or rheumatologist to work with. Of course we are always willing to help with any questions if we can. Good luck it's a pretty nasty disease, we all just do the best we can.
mandajolyn
on 6/28/11 2:31 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Find a good pain management dr. Lyrica and Cymbalta are known to help. I can't take either because I'm bipolar. I take opana and a narcotic for breakthrough pain. My opana has to be adjusted because it's XR so my dr adjusts the dosage till I get a level of relief. There's also the fentnyl patch which had helped me a lot! You want to take something for round the clock pain and something for breakthrough pain. Good luck!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

dorthe H.
on 6/29/11 10:41 pm - farmington, MN
i'm on cymbalta, buspirone, and neurontin.  was on lyrica but gained quite a bit of weight back.  the daily meds control the pain but i also take flexeril for flare ups.  it leaves me with memory loss but controls the pain.  from what i've read, it takes trial and error but keep trying.  it's worth it.
good luck.
DORTHE
     AGING IS INEVITABLE
              GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL!   
EOD WIFE
on 6/30/11 4:14 am - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
Thanks ladies.
I am now on Cymbalta and take additional pain meds as needed. I am hopeful this will give me enough relief to be able to function and get back to living!

myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

Amberlacious
on 7/2/11 6:11 am - OK
I was diagnosed  with FMS about 3 years ago....not long after I had RNY. Needless to say that threw a wrench in my weight loss.... I take lyrica, cymbalta, soma, and ultram. I had the worst weight gain once I was put on lyrica. I don't get total relief from anything. I am so sorry you have joined this club. It sucks...But I am here to offer support.
Amber
RNY 04/2006
395 highest
275 lowest
330 current

EOD WIFE
on 7/4/11 2:04 pm - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
Thanks so much! 

Yes it does suck, I just cry when I see pics of me from this time last year and think about all the things I was doing with my grandkids. I was in the gym 5 days a week well on my way to goal then I had a breast reduction and BOOM I have not been the same person since then.
I hate living with the pain and tiredness, but it beats the alternative.

AliciaDDG
on 7/15/11 10:01 am
I am 33 and was diagnosed about 4 or 5 years ago. Lyrica did not work for me. I am currently taking Cymbalta and it seems to be helping some. I have also been diag. with bipolar, but it has not interfered so far. If it does, the dr will add another med at a small dose. I also have migraines, anemia, arthritis, depression, anxiety, and probably leaving something out. But I take Topomax, Imetrex, cymbalta, birth control, flexiril, and ambien. Hope that helps
EOD WIFE
on 7/24/11 4:45 am - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
Yikes! Good luck hun, sounds like your plate is full

buff1948
on 7/20/11 1:37 pm - north augusta, SC
 my wife has fibro. she has to wear patches that last for 3 days. been told stronger than morphin. trying hard to get her to go to  a pain management dr. the pain center is why i am walking now. i havw arthriss and a back diease. the pain got so bad i retired at 58.
Most Active
Recent Topics