One Year and Now Staple Leaks

Lori A.
on 2/1/05 12:56 pm - Westlake Village, CA
So I'm just about to hit my 1 year anniversary and have lost 162 pounds but when I just received back my upper GI results today I was told I have staple leaks. Does anyone know about the next step that takes place with staple leaks and does it require immediate attention. What happens if I don't want to go into surgery again right away? Is it necessary to fix??? Any information would be appreciated, thank you.
Caryl Mauk
on 2/22/05 3:04 am - Manor, TX
RNY on 06/26/06 with
Absolutely the first person to talk to about this is your surgeon. Call right away and talk to a nurse. Don't wait for an appointment. If leaks are within the GI tract, i.e. as often happens with vertical gastric banding through the staple line from your pouch into the rest of the stomach, it will affect your weight loss, but does not necessarily have to be addressed right away. However, leaks from the GI tract out into your abdominal cavity are life threatening and require immediate surgical repair. Again, you need to be talking to your surgeon about this first, then the support group or online forum. Caryl Mauk
vickig
on 5/24/05 11:53 am - CRAWFORD, GA
you could adress the complictions forum after you talk with your sx.goo d luck
Most Active