Sleeved Aug 7th with Dr. Alvarez!

ftmathteacher
on 8/11/12 8:23 pm - Pflugerville, TX
VSG on 08/07/12 with
I still feel like i'm dreaming...someone pinch me.  I am now 4 days post-op and wanted to talk a little about my experience with Dr. Alvarez.  He is the best surgeon I think I have ever met!  I was lucky because I have family that lives in Eagle Pass, TX with whom I was able to stay with for a couple days, and it made my trip and early recovery fairly easy to handle.  I received the best care from not only Dr. Alvarez, but also his staff of nurses!  They were really attentive and came and checked up on me almost every 2-3 hrs right after the surgery to see if I needed anything and to check temperature, blood pressure, etc. They all speak fluent English and Spanish, which was helpful for me, because they were able to fully explain everything to my family in Spanish while speaking in English to me.  

One other thing that really impressed me was the fact that they were all really respectful of the fact that I'm a FTM transman. I would recommend Dr. Alvarez to ANYONE!  

I am now at home in Austin, TX recovering and dealing with minor discomfort with gas (have been burping like crazy) and heart burn, as well as soon loose stools.  As crazy as this time is for mostly everyone, I am looking forward to a healthier life that keeps leading me to be the me I've always felt like!  Next goal is to save money for top surgery!!!! 

Missey J.
on 8/11/12 11:42 pm - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12 with
Congrats !  Glad to hear your doing well.

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
aballett
on 8/12/12 4:29 am - Canada
Congratulations! I am always happy to hear that our community gets treated with respect and well in all aspects of medical processes!  Great news! 
Amy

utahrob
on 8/12/12 7:06 am
Congratulations on your success and please keep us posted on your progress.
EccentricConsejero
on 8/12/12 12:46 pm
What an absolutely remarkable affirmation for the queer community, and how amazing it must have been for YOU to be the one to experience it!

Often we are shunned or ridiculed for who we are... Trans more often than those of us who are "simply" homosexual, because of the difference and lack of exposure in the community and mainstream media.  At least the gender-typical homosexual is seen often.  It's unfortunate that the trans-individual is still much less common.

Here in Phoenix, we have a cardiologist who is the Chair of a relatively large department - Dr. Rebecca Allison.  She used to be a guy.  When I learned about her - her experience with transitioning, her role as a leader in the medical community, I insisted that she be my cardiologist.  Unfortunately, she wasn't accepting new patients and I was sent somewhere else.  I think as homosexuals, we need to be more proactive about who we are and who we allow to care for us.  That isn't to say that a heterosexual cannot do well - as you've indicated you had an amazing experience with Dr. Alvarez - but that we should support homosexual professionals when practical... have a queer doctor, a queer counselor... whatever the case may be.

I'm thrilled that you were treated with such remarkable respect, especially after the torment you've probably endured throughout your life.  I hope that you achieve the results you're looking for with your operation, that your recovery is a rapid and comfortable one, and that you keep us updated on your progress!
ohbearly
on 8/13/12 9:51 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
Congrats! You are on the loser's bench now. Live that new life your surgery has given you to the fullest! -- Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

twotontunic
on 8/13/12 7:59 pm - Nashville, TN
VSG on 10/08/12
 Ah, I am so excited for you!  Both for the WLS accomplishment and your ongoing transition.  I cannot express the respect I feel for those who transitionn genders.  It takes tremendous courage and sacrifice.  Thank you for posting.  I cant' wait to hear more as you and your sleeve do your work together.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 375 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 948 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1326 views