Eating Protein vs Shakes/Add'l carbs vs low/Unstable Weight loss--sound off

abrown8434
on 4/22/12 7:53 am - VA

OH Fam, you're the only ones that understand and can help me with this.

Everyone's doctor has different plans and you find what works for you. 6 months out I decided to try to eat my protein vs. drink it. So far, it has been harder to me to get 80 grams + of protein per day and average around 60 grams.

Now, I have added some carbs which I know has hindered my loss. 7 mos out I have loss 102 lbs but that bounces back and forth between 1 or 2 additional lbs. On the one hand, I am happy because I don't fear food and not in the anorexic state I was headed to soon after surgery. I enjoy cooking again and have a few bites of this or that.

I know I am not in the old habits that led me to be super morbidly obese and I do have self control. Eating vs drinking has decreased my minor fainting spells and given me slightly more stamina for my vigorous workouts. However, the add'l carbs may be (and I'm almost positive they are) hindering my weight loss.

I am not sure what to do. What I am really upset about is that w/the small amount of food I can eat, the vast amount of time I spend in the gym, and the still low amount of carbs I eat compared to a typical diet, why is my weight so sensitive to carbs? I know I am carb sensitive but why are my 1-2 hour workouts several times a weight not serving as a buffer to that?

Some people hear just eat high protein and drink plenty of water and don't even worry about carbs and fat and they lose fine. Why is it that I am not eating a fraction of what a normal dieter would, I am working out harder than the average person but now my weight seems to be leveled off. Am I being impatient, at a plateau or do I need to go back to the semi-anorexic state I was before? HELP!!!!!

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/24/12 9:30 am
working hard but not getting enough proteins may put you into starvation mode. Body is trying to save everything.
IMO - you may need more proteins... and in general - more calories - or less exercise.
Moderation - IMO - is the best thing.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

abrown8434
on 4/25/12 9:07 am - VA
Thank you. I have been back on the shakes and add'l protein and everything is back to normal. I guess some of us are just more carb sensitive than others and w/the exercise . . .

kristy_907
on 7/9/12 8:12 am
wanting to know if I am normal- 2.5 months since sleeve. I am able to get 100+ protein throuch meat and dairy. Can hold about 4oz food at one time. When I speak with others, they say they cannot consume that much and are rarely hungry. Only a few bites fill them up- not me. Is this normal? I recovered very quickly from the surgery - used no pain pills or had any digestive issues
abrown8434
on 7/10/12 3:59 am - VA
Well, if you can get the 100+ protein just stay there. Some people can hold more & others can't. I was quick recover too; no complications. I do remember, however, the vets use to always say that just because you can eat 4 oz of protein doesn't mean you should. Eat but don't eat up to the point of being full. Cheat your sleeve a little and eat less than your full capacity.

Me personally? I believe if you can eat 4 oz and its 4 oz of healthy foods within your dietary guideline, then do it! You're not hurting anything and as long as your doctor's fine w/it that is fine. No sleeve is created equal :o).

Sandra C.
on 9/6/12 9:27 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Going gluten free, having 3-4 protein shakes a day, one meal with meat, protein snacks, miralax in a drink daily, a hand full of cherries in season... all helped me reach my goal the first year. I hated my stalls, weighed daily to keep a handle on the direction of the scale, but didnt emotionally react to the numbers, other than go to the gym more often if in a stall. I made lots of lifestyle changes, mentally tossed out all my old eating habits, and food choices. My new life began with the D.S. High protein was key to my weight loss. Carbs made me stop losing. Kept them under 30g a day to have a steady loss of 1/2-1 lb a day. Everyone has plateaus, as the body adjusts fluids with major weight loss. Dont give up during these times, just keep on the low carb/high protein/ exercise plan, and it will all work for you.  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Most Active