18 months post op and binging

maggiet
on 1/2/13 10:14 pm - Durham, NC

I am having so much trouble never feeling full and then over the holidays I've eaten like a pig. I've gained back about 10 pounds. Each day I start out with my regular diet and then, at wor****ep seeing all these goodies and I can't stop myself. Yesterday I waited unitl 9.30 pm before I lost control and ate a bunch of "goodies" (actually "baddies". I soooo wish I had dumping syndrome with sugar!

Here's my yesterday's diet:

protein shake in the morning

Fiber One and Greek yogurt (fat free, low call)

salmon, meal cut short because of meeting -didn't eat my black eyed peas

rolled swiss cheese with lox in the middle (2 roll ups), 2 cut celery with peanut butter,  part of an apple

about 8 cold shrimp, 2 cut celery with pb

then I binged...

And in the middle of the night I got up so hungry I ate 2 Ostrim protein snacks

Help!

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/3/13 5:25 am

You may not be eating enough food during the day or eating the wrong foods (not enough fat - IMO) and by the end of teh day - you are starving. I would be.

Here what I would do differently:

1. eat breakfast.  protein shake may not be enough - but if you decide you want protein shake - make sure yuo add fat to it - like 1 tsp of real NSA PB,.

2. add fiber to your diet and stop using Fat Free food.  The snack - FF yogurt with fiber one - is more carbs than proteins and virtually no fat - I would starve if I eat like that. Instead - use 2% Greek yogurt - add some 1/2 scoop protein powder and some flax meal (1 Tbs) . add some flavoring and you get more value for the calories.

3. eat enough - when I skip a meal - or don't get enough - I get so hungry at the next one. I do carry with me some meat sticks or individually wrapped cheese sticks. They can hold me over.  

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Somedaysoon
on 1/19/13 8:46 am - MI

Try the 5 day pouch test.   You can find directions on the Internet. It works for any type of wls.  I too found myself eating too many  treats during the holidays.  Even though I did not gain, I woke up the carb monster in me.  I was craving snacks unbelievable.  Doing the 5 day ( which I choose to stay of liquids for 3 days instead on 2) help be to reset.  Today I do not crave snacks or carbs. I will do this again as I got great results, any time I feel myself slipping again.  

Wishing you success. 

Starting Wt: 313 Surgery Wt: 286               

rayjack12
on 2/16/13 10:10 pm

We are in the exact same boat.  I am a little over 2 years out and have gained about 15 pounds from my lowest weight.  I don't want to be my lowest weight so I don't mind some of that but...

its the out-of-controlness that scares me.  When I binge, its a lot.  As suggested above I did do a variation of the pouch test.  It was sooooo hard!!!  I only had liquids for two days (including 2 protein shakes) and then I added a small salad twice a day for two days.  Then I added a harvest grain mixture for two days.  I can tell you I feel amazingly better.  I lost that 10 pounds, which lets me know that it was all water and bloating. 

However, at this point I am scared.  I crave those carbs and sweet things so bad!!!  It is easier since it has been a few days but I just know I am one of these people who cannot have them at all.  How is it possible for me to live my life like that??

Want to emai??

maggiet
on 2/17/13 1:57 am - Durham, NC

Yes, I'd love to email. I've not replied to anyones post yet because I've been scared I'd have to treat it seriously. I am so in denial! I have to do the pouch test and I admire you that you did it.

I do remember the doctor saying that often folks will regain about 10% after they hit their lowest weight. My goal weight was 230 and I'm hovering around 222. If that were all I'd not be worried. It is, as you say, the feeling of being out of control. I wish there was a drug like that for alcoholics that I could take that would make me sick whenever I eat sugar. It was soooooo easy for me to skip all sweets when I thought I'd have dumping syndrome. But I found out when my sister was dying that I don't dump. But I have to replace the fear of dumping with the realization that I'll kill myself and regain all my weight if I continue to eat sugar and carbs. Why doesn't that scare me as much? Sounds like one for the shrinks. Gotta get those underlying issues dealt with, I suppose. Still, mutual support via email or OH is a great way to start.

Take care and wish me luck in really truly committing to the pouch test.

Best, Maggie

maggiet
on 3/20/13 11:24 am - Durham, NC

I finally committed to doing the 5 day pouch test. I'm at the end of Day 2. Got hgit by a car, my car got totaled, am in trinaing all day with staff who eat constantly. Free food everywhere and so uch candy and carbs! My heater died in the house on Sunday so need a new HVAC system. But through it all, I've been able to keep my eye on the oprize. I tihnk this just might help me. I'm not going to add many carbs, just protein and veggies. Wish me luck. I need it.

How did your pouch test go?

MAggie

rayjack12
on 3/22/13 10:18 am

So glad you emailed.  I thought about you the other day.  I felt bad because I hadn't emailed.

The pouch test was exactly what I needed.  I did great for about 2 and a half weeks.  I didn't feel the urge to have sweet things, etc.  I lost about 8 pounds and I wasn't bloated.  It was great.

THEN!!!

I had one cookie and it has been downhill ever since!!!  So, I know now that it is the carbs/sweets that make me feel sluggish and bad.  It sucks.  And there truly is such a thing as carb addiction!!  So, need to get back on the wagon I suppose.

maggiet
on 3/23/13 10:11 am - Durham, NC

If yiu did it once you can do it again!!! I know you can. You have committment - you commited to the surgery, fell off and got back on the wagon. You did the horrible pouch test! You fell of but you can start over again now that you know about the triggers. Good luck to you. And wish me luck!!!

slrm2m2
on 9/22/13 12:13 am - Canada
How is it going for those of you that Oates in this thread? I'm around 20 months out and I've realized I can eat very few refined carbs without triggering a binge. It's a one day at a time thing for me. I've joined Overeaters Aninymous and gotten some cognitive behavioural therapy re: binge eating and both of these have been helping me. I can feel the regain monster sitting on my shoulder and its much harder than I thought it would be to maintain the dietary changes now that my honeymoon period is over.
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Most Active