night coughing and burping

John T.
on 7/28/10 12:28 am - Highlands Ranch, CO
Hello everyone,

i dont get on this site much anymore, but i actually have a valid quesiton and wanted anyones opinions. 

I had a fill maybe 3 months ago..the fill before was a year before that.

in the last month or so at night i have been coughing more than usual.  i have also noticed i have been burping at night also which is causing me to not sleep as well.  I dont cough during the day.  i am burping on occasion during the day.  I set up an appt with the lap band doc for a week from friday.  They said i might be a little tight and i might have some acid reflux

Im wondering if its because im a little too tight and that is causing the coughing and burping at night. 
any thoughts from the croud? 

John T banded 8/29/07  high/surgury/current/goal  =  360/346/187/174  

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/10 12:46 am

Night coughing can be a sign of reflux, but it can also be a reaction to allergies and sinus drainage pooling, causing you to swallow and cough in your sleep.  Excessive swallowing in your sleep can cause you to swallow air, and in turn the burping starts.  Also mouth breathing call cause a dry throat, coughing and burping.  If you have no contraindications medically, you could get an allergy medicine over the counter from the pharmacist with a decongestant in it (I take generic Zyrtec D).  The D is what makes it something I have to get from the pharmacist and sign for it.  Sometimes our allergies are so minor they don't bother us unless we are lying down.  If you decide to take an allergy medication with a decongestant in it and you don't routinely do that, be sure to take it in the morning - until you have a tolerance for it, the decongestant can have a stimulant effect.  You could also just try taking benadryl in the evening a couple hours before bed and see if you rest better and cough less.  Or try Prilosec OTC instead if you think it might be reflux.  If Prilosec works, you probably are a little tight - but if that's the case, I would think you would experience eating problems.

This is just based on my experience and is not medical advice.  When I have more trouble at night than during the day, it's usually time to dust the bedroom and vacuum under the bed, etc., to reduce the dust mites.

Hope you solve the puzzle soon and get some rest!
Cheryl

HelpMeRhonda
on 7/28/10 1:14 am - Lewiston, NY
I started coughing and having acid reflux when I was too tight.  When I had a small unfill, it went away.  So, for me, it was caused by the tightness.  Do you have any other symptoms of tightness?

NCA2008
on 7/28/10 1:55 am - NC
Think you might need a small unfill..those are sure signs for me that I'm too tight. Good luck!

-Nikki

Start/293lbs   Current/189lbs  Goal/160lbs

John T.
on 7/28/10 2:04 am - Highlands Ranch, CO
thanks...i will take note of some of all of your suggestions...

as far as other indications of tightness i did notice i am eating a little less than before and get full faster.

But i would rather be more healthy and get a better sleep with a little unfill and monitor more closely on what im eating

Mercedes R.
on 7/28/10 2:18 am - Carson City, NV
I just had a fill on monday, she put in .4 so now I am at 5cc's. I noticed THAT DAY, i was coughing and have had increased phlegm production. But it doesnt feel too tight when I eat...it feels perfect actually. I am going to hold off...to see if it becomes an issue. If I was in your position though, the coughing at night only would annoy me.
barbara9460
on 7/28/10 4:44 am
Definitely get things re-evaluated.  I say this because I spent all day yesterday and overnight in the hospital with what appeared to be heart attack symptoms (which are different for women).  I had horrible pain in my chest that radiated up towards my throat.  I was awakened by reflux which I haven't had in the two plus years that I've had the band.  The diagnosis was that my GERD was still present, even though I didn't have symptoms for these two years since banding. 

Go and get checked out.  You may be okay with nexium or similar drug, or they may need to take a bit out of your band.  Either way, you need to get checked out. 

Good luck! 
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wdwuJ0Z/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wdwuJ0Z/weight.png[/img]
[/url]           
John T.
on 7/28/10 4:46 am - Highlands Ranch, CO
yes..im definitely going in to see if the DR thinks i need a small unfill.

the question is whether i can put up with this until a week from friday when my appt is.

cori9191
on 7/28/10 3:10 pm - Seattle, WA
Hi Joh,
I have experienced these same symptoms. I waited till I saw the Dr. and it was hard to get through the nights but I did it and lost weight. My Dr. said I should drink ho****er with lime and to stop eating around 6 or 6:30pm so that I did not go to bed full. Also he gave me the same advice about the decongestant. I tried all of the above and now I find that having lost more weight and not eating late are the key to no night coughing. I did not get an unfill like I though I might have to. I still suffer if I eat at 8 or 9pm.  Hope it all works out for you.

cori9191
on 7/28/10 3:12 pm - Seattle, WA
Sorry about the mistakes. John...
I hope you can understand my message. I did not get an unfil like I thought I would have to due to everyone telling me I would need and unfil.
Most Active