NEED HELP for a friend newly banded

Suzanna D.
on 3/27/11 9:46 am, edited 3/27/11 9:54 am - Pensacola, FL
My friend Keith just got banded on Tuesday 03/22/11 and ended up with an UTI shortly after he was discharged from the hospital. He was placed on Cipro and is currently on Day 3 of the Cipro. When he did the pre-surgery liquid diet, he did fine with managing his hunger BUT the post-surgery liquid diet is not going so well especially with the addition of the Cipro whi*****reases thirst. He is currently doing three protein drinks a day plus utilizing jello, broth, SF popsicles, etc. He is miserably hungry to the point of it making him angry. He is not regretting the surgery but is understandably quite unhappy. He told me he is confident that it is not mouth hunger (thirst) or mental hunger because his stomach is growling quite loudly. He has already lost 20 pounds since his surgery. He called me to see if there was anything I could think of to help him but I came up empty other than offering to go on here to ask for help. I tried suggesting adding another scoop of protein but he was wary of doing too much protein so soon. PLEASE HELP if you can and I will pass the information along to him. He is not able to get on here tonight due to having an active three year old to attend to. Thank you for your time in advance.

steelerfan1
on 3/27/11 9:53 am

Right now stress to him to make sure he dont go off his doctors plans !!! If he would to eat right now something he shouldn't be eating especially since he just got out surgery not even a week ago he could do some real damage to him and the band so please stress to him dont go off plan !!!

All I can offer is eat as much jello,  broth as much as he wants I had no limits on it. . , but to make sure he can keep it down.  If he drinks to much he could get his tummy to full and throw up and you dont want that either that could lead to problems also .

I hope things are better for him, there just really isn't much he could do right now that I know of but to follow doc's plans.  This is the healing stage right now and if he goes against what the doctor has laid out for him to do he could end back in the ER .

Tell him to take it one day at time and things do get better.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Suzanna D.
on 3/27/11 9:59 am - Pensacola, FL
Thank you for your reply.  He spent the past six months meeting with the dietician at our bariactric center (insurance requirement) so that helps.  He sent an email to the dietician clearly stating he needs help and knows she will not see it until tomorrow morning.  He said he is hoping that he will be given permission to try yogurt or something.  He is clear about the rules and I think that's why he doesn't want to do the extra scoop of protein powder.  He said he has been doing unlimited amounts of the clear liquids, getting down whatever he can.  It's just so unfortunate that these types of problems tend so often to happen on the weekend when the doctors' offices are closed.  Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

MARIA F.
on 3/27/11 10:20 am - Athens, GA

Maybe some sf pudding. I also did nsa applesauce early on. Can't remember if I could do that the 1st wk. though?

FormerlyFluffy.com

crystal M.
on 3/27/11 10:23 am - Joliet, IL
If he would like something to treat himself but he won't be able to do this till he's on full liquids or mushies.  Try freezing some sugar free pudding.  It has the consistency of ice cream and melts into a liquid in your mouth.  It was a nice treat I gave myself 2-3 weeks out. 

I really didn't feel hungry for foods till I was on mushies.  I know I did things to keep myself busy and my mind off of food.  The times I obsessed over food was when I was home and bored watching food commercials.
NtheGame
on 3/27/11 11:11 am
I dont know what Keith's dr's plan instructs him to do, but the first week especially, getting in the protein on a consistent basis helped with hunger. My plan had me drinking 2 oz. protein at the top of each hour (waking hours of course) and then at least 2 oz. fluid every 15 min. increments thereafter until the top of the next hour rolled around, then a repeat of the 2 oz protein and so on. I think getting the protein on a regular basis helped, kind of like feeding a baby. Since that's basically what we now have, baby stomachs. Adequate protein will help in the healing process too. I dont think added protein would hurt, but check with dietitican to make sure.
 NtheGame      
Lisa O.
on 3/27/11 12:04 pm - Snoqualmie, WA
Just because his stomach is growling doesn't necessarily mean he's hungry.  My Nut explained to me that it's your larger stomach complaining becuase it's used to being full most of the time.  The pouch can be full and you can be completely satieted but your larger stomach can be growling.  The protein won't hurt, but if I were him I'd call my surgeon and tell him that he's so hungry he's getting deperate.  Ask if it would be o.k. to add thin oatmeal or cream of wheat to be more substantial.  I also think adding a 4th shake would be o.k..  Oh, also tell him to make his shakes with 1% or skim milk and add crushed ice.  That will add protein and density.

I did liquids for 3 weeks post op and it's not fun, but I did it without cheating becuase I was told it's necessary for healing.  There is no consistency to post op protocol for food progression, but I think you should always ask if you're going to do something that's not recommended.  I'm sure the surgeon would rather have them ask than get so desperate that he wants to cheat and eat something he really shouldn't be eating. 

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 12:20 pm
Gum helped me. I missed the "act" of chewing with all the liquids..Just don't swallow it :)

Petrs
OCCali_Girl
on 3/27/11 4:20 pm - CA
HI there....

I was struggling with hunger on day 3 after my surgery and my Doctor told me to add Bananas and strawberries to thicken up the shake.  Of course he should run this by his doc but this helped me A LOT!

Also after week 1 I had some natural peanut butter and that was like Manna from heaven! and it filled me up fora long time It is my favorite choice wen I am struggling with hunger... soo those are my thoughts!

~Anna

The band may not be perfect, but it will be perfect for me!

VEGAS IN JUNE GOAL!!        

Jshivery
on 3/28/11 9:56 am
Revision on 03/10/16
I thought I was the only one with this problem.  I was banded 3/23 and on day 3, my stomach growled so loud my kids heard it across the room.  I have asked if I can add something and I get told no.  an xtra scoop of protein powder.  I'm so hungry I just want something to eat so bad...I think next week, my doctor will be putting me on soft, whi*****ludes tuna, cheese, lite mayo, eggs, etc...I cant wait to have a bite of egg salad again....

I am so sick of cream soups...I could gag everytime I see themhowever I think I will stick w/ the protein shakes atleast 1 time a day...Good luck everyone...Hope it subsides soon! 

Most Active