getting sick of the same food

iphonelover
on 4/5/11 1:37 am
i had surgery just shy of 2 months ago and now i am starting to get sick of like soups and the same foods ive been eatting.. i am also at a plato with my weight loss since i am not the same food.. anyone have any suggestions of types of foods to eat?
Lisa O.
on 4/5/11 1:45 am - Snoqualmie, WA
This is a post I wrote a long time ago in response to a similar question as yours.  I hope you find it helpful.  While I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's and Costco, I'm sure you can find similar items at a store near you.

Best~
Lisa O.

Breakfast:

1/2 C. LF Cottage Cheese, (100 calories), with fruit.  Right now I'm into raspberries, but I also like it with blueberries, peaches or pineapple.  I also use the frozen berry trio from Costco when fresh berries aren't available.

1/2 C FF Plain Greek Yogurt from Trader Joe's, (60 calories), with fruit.  I use the same fruits as above but add 1 packet of Equal.  I sometimes also add LF granola, Wheat Germ or Flax Seeds for fiber.

1 C Multi Grain Cherrios, (110 calories), with 1 c Almond Breeze, SF Vanilla instead of milk.  Almond Breeze is a milk substitute made from almonds.  (It has 45 calories instead of the 110 calories in 1% milk).  I really like it and it also comes in chocolate. 

1/2 C 98% Real Egg Whites liquid, (from Costco, 60 calories).  It's less wasteful than throwing out the yolks which I have trouble eating anyway.  I use these to make scrambled eggs or omelets.  I like omelets on the weekends and use Babybel or Laughing Cow cheese or regular cheese if I feel decadent!  I also add mushrooms, scallions or onions, or whatever veggies I have in the fridge.  Sometimes I add turkey, ham or whatever meat I have available or I eat a veggie and cheese omelet with 2 strips of turkey bacon on the side.

Steelcut Oatmeal, (Frozen variety from Trader Joes, 150 calories).  I eat it with cinnamon and 1 packet of Equal or with berries.  Sometimes I add 1 TBSP. of Almond Butter or Peanut Butter or PB2.

Lunch:

I bring my lunch every day.  When I don't bring left overs I often bring the following:

1/2 C LF Cottage Cheese mixed with Tuna or chicken salad.  I make the tuna/chicken with olive oil mayo, salt/pepper and dill.

Light Wasa Crackers-  You get 2 crackers if you use the "light" multi grain variety for the same calories as 1 of the regular Wasa crackers.  I use these a lot with my cottage cheese tuna combo OR I make a Wasa cracker open-faced sandwich with deli turkey or ham, a slice of cheese and mustard.

Deli turkey or ham wrapped around a marinated asparagus spear, (from Costco), or a dill pickle spear.  I use mustard or hummus spread on the meat and then wrap. 

Egg Salad made with olive oil mayo, salt and pepper.  I eat it plain or on a Wasa cracker

Shrimp ****tail from Costco.  (I can eat shrimp with ****tail sauce if I chew really well).

Dinner:

I eat fairly simple and ordinary foods for dinner.  Usually it's a meat of some kind and a veggie.  I rarely eat beef unless it's a hamburger patty in a restaurant. 

Some of the things I like that are different are: 

Ground turkey cooked with mushrooms and Arrabiata pasta sauce from Trader Joes.  I usually make this once a week and take it for lunches.  My DH like it over whole wheat pasta and I eat it plain with Parmesan cheese.

Colossal butterflied shrimp from Trader Joes.  These are pre seasoned and in the frozen food section.  I throw them on the grill and cook them frozen for about 10 minutes.  They are yummy and fast!

Curly's ribs, pre-made from Costco, I eat about 3 ribs and they are really tender.

Grilled asparagus.  I love asparagus cooked on the grill.  Brush with olive oil.

Edamame-  I buy mine frozen from Costco.  They come in individual packets frozen, about 100 calories.  Microwave as instructed and sprinkle with salt.  Pop the beans from the pods right into your mouth.  Great for a snack or a veggie side.

Grilled ground beef patty with sauteed onion and mushrooms.  I make this at home or order it often in restaurants.  Sometimes with cheese.  No bun.

Meatloaf-  Sometimes I make my own from ground turkey with stewed tomatoes, onion, 1 egg, oatmeal to bind it together and tomato paste or ketchup on top.  But, I buy the Italian style turkey meatloaf from Trader Joes and like it just as well. 

Halibut with olive oil and lemon pepper.  I'm trying to eat more fish but I don't like salmon. Halibut is my favorite but I also like Tilapia.  I like to cook fish on the grill. 

Snacks:

Turkey Sticks, (from Costco, 40 calories each).  Tastes like peperoni.  My whole family loves these.

LF string cheese, Babybel rounds or Laughing Cow soft cheese wedges.  I love these alone or on a Wasa Cracker OR melted over tuna salad on a cracker.

Hummus or white bean hummus, (from Trader Joes), with baby carrot sticks or Wasa Crackers.

Multi Grain tortilla chips from Costco with salsa.

SF pudding.  My favorite comes pre-made in the dairy section.  Dulce de Leche!  Yum!

Dryers/Edy's No sugar added, fruit Popsicles.  They are WAY better than SF Popsicles and taste like frozen sherbet.

Costco brand dried fruit and nut mix.  Lowest in sugar that I've found.  140 calories for 1/4 cup.

Pure Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter protein bars.  (Snack or meal replacement).  190 calories.  21 g protein and only 3 g sugar.  This is the lowest sugar protein bar I've found.  I use these a lot when I'm caught without a planned meal or need extra protein for the day.

Special treats:
Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches.  140 calories. 
MacDonald's soft serve ice cream cone.  150 calories

Drinks:

I gave up soda when I had surgery but I still drink coffee.  I have 1 NF latte a day during the week and on the weekends I drink regular coffee with SF Vanilla Coffee Mate liquid creamer.

I drink only SF flavored water, (I like the Vita Rain brand from Costco best), or I'll drink 10 cal. vitamin water, or one of the other flavored waters as long as they are less than 20 calories per serving.  I also like Fuze and Crystal Light.

I also drink Diet Snapple or Regular unsweetened ice tea. 

I hope this helps you get some ideas for new things to try.  Variety is important but I still find myself eating many of the same things over and over.  To me this is progress because I'm becoming less emotional about food and now eat for fuel not for feelings.

Enjoy!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

iphonelover
on 4/5/11 1:54 am
 Thank you!!!
Denise C.
on 4/5/11 2:48 am - Spokane, WA
Lap Band on 05/31/11 with
Lisa - Your meal/snack ideas are amazing! I cant wait to try them! I go in today for my intake appointment, I'll meet the surgeon, nut and staff...and find out my surgery date. I cant wait! On a side note... You always have awesome advice on OH! I've been on here for a lil over a week, only posted a couple things...mainly just read. Love to read what you post...very inpirational! You make it sound like something I can really do!

Thanks again - Denise

Lisa O.
on 4/5/11 3:13 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Hey!  I just noticed that you live in Marysville!  Did you know that I lead a support group of Washingtonians that all have bands?  It would be a bit of a hike, but you should come to our meeting in Tukwila on april 30th, 9 a.m..  It's a great group of women and we have 2 others that are pre-op.

Also, if you want more info. , friend me so you can access my blog.  There is a ton of info on there about foods I eat, my routine, articles, etc.

Let me know if you can come to our support group meeting or at least if you want me to add you to the e-mail attribute.

You can do this!  If I can, you can too!

Best~ 
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Denise C.
on 4/5/11 3:19 pm - Spokane, WA
Lap Band on 05/31/11 with
Thank you Lisa!  Tukwila is a bit of a trek...but not to far.    I dont know what my schedule is like yet, but I will check it out. I would like to get the email, I will sent you a message with my email address. I saw that we connected as friends.... I'm gonna check out your blog when I'm done with this reply.  I went in for my consult/intake at NWWLS today...it was awesome! I am required to get a sleep study done before surgery, so I called and have a consult with a pulmonary/sleep study place on Monday and then they will schedule a sleep study. When that is done I will call my WL center and they will schedule me a surgery day, 12 days out. My Dr want me to do 3-4 shakes a day and a Lean Cuisine to loose 15 lbs in 12 days. They say its do-able. I think it is....just a lil nervous. But I'm on my path to a surgery date! I'm soooo excited!! 

Thanks for the support!  
Denise

Hermosa L
on 4/5/11 2:13 am
SInce you had surgery such a short period of time ago are you still on the mushy stage?

I ate chili with little or no beans... also I would cook ground beef with veggies.. add a little low sodium broth to make it soft to chew... like ground beef with squash green or yellow some onion then add a little broth or bouillion and add a little water..

I would eat meat sauce sans the noodles.. with cheese and tomato sauce made it soft and moist to chew..

Oatmeal mostly for breakfast .. cottage cheese

Once the mushy phase passes then you can dive into more food groups
grannymedic1
on 4/5/11 3:19 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

If you are nearly 2 months out you can begin to experiment. I did searches for low carb meals. Diabetic sites often have them, I got some off OH, and some off myfatsecret.com. I make my own lasagna with whole wheat or low carb pasta, make boneless skinless chicken thighs (works better than chicken breast for me) in the crock pot with a sauce. I do taco salad (sans the shell) using greens, well drained taco meat, fat free refried beans, some low fat cheese, and fat free sour cream. Filling, yummy, and if the greens don't work I can skip them. I like pulled pork, and love the imitation crab stuff. The fake crab I buy a Sams club and freeze into multi serving bags. I will microwave it till just warm and eat with light ranch dressing, use it for seafood enchiladas, make crab salad, and make a baked crab dip that I just eat as a main dish. If hubby is eating things that won't work for you this is a good go to. For a while I was finding a multipack of tiny scallops in 4oz. sections. I used those a lot. Chili is another favorite at our house, I use lots of beans, a little ground beef, and add a can of fat free refried beans that gives extra protein and a nice thick texture.

Experiment with your own recipies and look for more. Remember, what might not work with your band right now may work later. Or the other way around. Just look at your favorite foods and modify them to be both band and diet friendly. This will keep you on track far better long term than just eating "diet stuff". Good luck trying to find what works for you, Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Kate -True Brit
on 4/5/11 3:27 am - UK

At two months out, unless you have the strictest doc I have ever come across, you should not be eating soups!

We need to start meals with dense protrin - fish, meat, chicken etc.  It is this dense protein which gives us the feeling of being full. Soups just slide through.

Basically, you can eat whatever you want! Obviously avoid those foods which are high in caloreis, but just reintroduce normal foods into your diet.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active