Would you like a cup of coffee?

Barbara C.
on 4/14/11 1:52 am - Raleigh, NC

I just had someone tell me that their program strongly prohibits coffee post surgery and ask me if I ever have coffee.

My program also restricts caffinated drinks, especially early on. Dehydration is a major issue following weight loss surgery. Believe it or not, dehydration is actually the number one reason that people are readmitted to the hospital during the first few days and weeks after surgery. Coffee generally contains caffine and caffine acts as a diuretic, so there is some concern that consuming coffee can contribute to deydration. Caffine is also known to contain acids that can increase the gastric acids which can cause heartburn and gastro esohpageal reflux. Finally, studies indicate that coffee stimulates gallbladder contraction and colonic motor activity within minutes of drinking it. Here is a link to a review of the issue.

My program does allow 'decaffinated' coffee and tea, so that's what I enjoy.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Lisa O.
on 4/14/11 1:58 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I love my coffee but lately it is causing a burning feeling in my esophagus, especially if it's combined with a day of eating spicy or acidic foods, i.e., tomato based foods and....chocolate.  It's random, but I have definately cut WAY back on my caffeine intake because of this. 

Good post!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 2:24 am
I usually drink 3-4 cups per day.
Barbara C.
on 4/14/11 3:04 am - Raleigh, NC
Enjoy!

Barbara

Jshivery
on 4/14/11 10:55 am
Revision on 03/10/16
I need a like button here!!  I usually have 2-3 cups of coffee...Its a big difference from 8-10 cups a day.  Some days I don't get a whole cup in, depends on how busy I am, but other days, usually weekends, I drink 2-3...I usually have one when i get home from work and of course on my way to work...I would really go crazy if I couldn't have coffee...Cutting out Dt. Pepsi has been traumatic enough!!  LOL 

psychomom
on 4/14/11 3:01 am - China Grove, NC
I may have a cup a day but a few months ago my Dr told me to cut out caffiene ,mint,chocolate and spicey and acidic things due to reflux issues. I  also did a 14 day run of an acid reducer. Worked wonders but now I try really hard to watch the caffiene. I think that was a main contributer to my reflux.

dawnmarieNJ
on 4/14/11 3:06 am
REALIZE Band on 08/11/10 with
My surgeon's advice was to limit caffeine, not eliminate it.

I usually drink 1 - 2 cups of coffee in the morning and that's it. I also drin****d tea fairly regularly, but I make it myself and usually use decaf. I even asked my surgeon if this was alright the week after surgery, and he said it was fine.

You can't go back and make a brand new start, but you can start from now and make a brand new end. 

Lisaizme
on 4/14/11 5:42 am - TX
My surgeon said he would never tell anyone they couldn't have their coffee.  He's more concerned about what goes in the coffee.. ie sugar/creamer.

The nutritionist that works with Mayo Clinic says that Coffee isn't dehydrating in normal amounts..http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661   but then you get into what is a normal cup size.. etc.

Yes, it's definitely a colonic stimulant.. I've known that for a long time, didn't need a study.  :)

I've given up many things, I'm not giving up coffee (unless it becomes a problem in some way).
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Caidkin
on 4/14/11 6:39 am - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
FYI for Coffee Lovers:

Many Coffee's have WAY more acicidy (sp?) than others.  Some specialty coffees (starbucks) will tell you the level of acidity.  I can't handle high acidity coffees now.  Double check your coffees and that might help
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
Barbara C.
on 4/14/11 12:43 pm - Raleigh, NC
Great information! Thanks :)

Barbara

Most Active