LAP-BAND with gastric plication

Lisa H.
on 4/23/11 1:44 pm
WLS on 05/19/11
 Hi all! Ive been a lurker here for a few days and found loads of information on this site. I was just scheduled for a LAP BAND with a gastric plication for May 19. During this whole process I was working towards being approved for the LAP BAND but on Thursday my doctor popped into a dietician appointment of mine and asked if I would be interested in having a gastric plication done with the LAP BAND. It only took me 2 minutes to consider it and I agreed figuring it would increase my chances of sucess with WLS. I popped on the internet when I got home and found VERY little information on people having both procedures done concurrently. 

Anyone here have expierence with it or know what I should expect? Im not having second thoughts, I will go through with it of course but I would like to be prepared. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/11 2:25 pm
Your surgeon is an absolute quack and is trying to milk your paycheck. The plication is irreversible and is showing to be dangerous. Only a bozo would suggest having two procedures at once. That is stupid.
atia
on 6/26/12 2:19 pm - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13
Plication and banding are both reversible and more easily so than any others.  Not sure where you got your info from.
My surgeon who did my band 9 years ago has a grant now so the patients who are being banded are getting the extra boost of plication.  I spoke with him and would like to have the plication done.  He isnt doing it seperately yet.  When he is able, I am going. 

atia

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/12 9:25 pm
 Hi At
I had the lap band with plication surgery. I am excited to see how I progress.
atia
on 6/27/12 3:19 pm - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13
I am very happy for you!  My surgeon has a grant now to do bands/plication together and hes a very careful man.  I'd have the plication done in a heartbeat as i already have a working band but he's not doing them yet...just the plications i mean.  It's not new, just new to the US. 

Keep me posted on how youre doing!!

t
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/12 10:53 pm
 I sure will. Thank you. Take care.
Lisa H.
on 4/23/11 2:36 pm
WLS on 05/19/11
 Not saying I dont believe you, but do you having any sources about the dangers of plication?
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/11 6:17 pm
Not really. It is so new, but there have been a few scary stories posted by a few who had it. I promise you that your surgeon is being greedy and taking advantage of you. It makes no sence to do a plication and band. It's one or the other, and I would recommend going to a different surgeon.
(deactivated member)
on 6/26/12 9:32 pm, edited 6/26/12 9:59 pm
 Any surgery has dangers (whether it is weight loss or otherwise). The decision to have (any) surgery is one that must be researched and thought about in all ways (insurance/money wise/health wise). I could not get the sleeve and I was not comfortable with the bypass so I elected to have the band/plication after alot of talk with my surgeon and reg doctor.

Please keep in mind all people are different and can have different outcomes. What works for some may  not work for others.
Duck_Girl
on 4/23/11 4:19 pm
Hi Lisa,

This is a lifelong decision... Myself I wouldn't decide anything on the fly like that. Research, research, and more research would be the route I would take.

I was given 2 option the band or gb I went with the band. I am sure you're researching it now but just a few weeks to do it isnt enough in my opinion.

doing this increases the chance of complications x2. Please dont make a decision in haste.

I wish you a quick and healthy recovery though!

Most Active