Protein shakes, Yuck! Any ideas how to make them better?

Ellen J.
on 5/7/11 11:40 am - Adrian, PA
 So, protein shakes are not my favorite things. My surgery isn't for a while yet, but I'm searching now so when they become necessary I won't have to search then.  I've tried the Nectar shakes mixed with water. It was, eh, OK I guess. Anyone have any suggestions on how to mix them to taste better? Anyone try adding some sugar free Torani syrups? Fruit? Just looking for options. I just ordered a sample pack from Chike and bought some pre mixed EAS Chocolate Fudge flavored shakes. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/     I've heard this blog has a lot of good recipes. Anyone try them? 

I'm on my way to a new me!               
looking4hope
on 5/7/11 11:50 am
Did you try several flavors? I like the cappuccino flavor of that brand or store sells single packets so you can try them without wasting money. They also give WLS patients like 10 free samples of a different brand in little containers and 10% off. There is a peanut butter flavor you can purchase to add some flavor, if you like pb. You can make them in  the blender with ice to make a smoothie and my pre-op allows for skim milk.
travelgrl
on 5/7/11 12:33 pm - allentown, PA
I love the fuzzy navel nectar with generic crystal light orange sunrise!
(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 12:59 pm - Modesto, CA
I love my protein shake - I often have one in the morning because my band has always been tighter in the morning and I just can't eat anything solid til lunch.  I use the Nectar Chocolate Truffle, but I never mix it with water.  I use either skim milk or calorie countdown chocolate milk. I also freeze skim milk in ice trays and add that to the milk.  I like it to be like a milk shake.   I sometimes add SF peanut butter syrup or even add a teaspoon of peanut butter. I have other SF syrups that I use as well.  They really help.  I also like their cuppaccino (I'm sure I spelled that wrong).  I just never use water, although I do use ice.  I put it all in my magic bullet and it's great.  Some people put SF instant pudding, which I've tried, but don't do regularly.

Good luck with your surgery! 

cat
Ellen J.
on 5/7/11 1:09 pm - Adrian, PA
 All good ideas! I like the idea of the Crystal light. This might be a silly question, but do you add the pudding mix dry? How much do you add to a shake? 
Lisa H.
on 5/7/11 1:39 pm
WLS on 05/19/11
 Well since I'm a chocolate freak I sometimes add a shot of Sugar Free chocolate syrup. Ive tried the torani syrups... Just remember less is more with them! I added 3 TBSP the first time I tried them and it was WAY to powerful. A teaspoon or so will alter the flavor just enough for me :) 

MurphysMom
on 5/7/11 2:17 pm - CA
My favorites are the Premier Protein Shakes from Costco.  They come in a box (like a juice box) and come in vanilla and chocolate.  The chocolate tastes like chocolate milk.  They are great.  The kind I can't stand are the Isopure ready made protein drinks.
  One day at a time, and one meal at a time, and I WILL reach my goal!  
Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/7/11 8:32 pm
The Premier Nutrition are my favorites!  Unfortunately the Costco will no longer be carrying the Vanilla.  If you're lucky enough to have some left at your stores, you better buy them!  I missed my opportunity and the buyer said they are no longer going to carry the Vanilla.  Prior to 6 mos. ago, we could only get the Chocolate and I had to order the Vanilla online.  Online and Costco are the only ways to get it!  I agree with you!  It's yummy!

When I went to Mexico for my first phase of plastic surgery I took 14 with me, I was there for 14 days and it was a great way to up my protein for healing!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

NantucketMom
on 5/7/11 3:24 pm - SoCal
 I don't think protein shakes are a favorite for anyone in the beginning. Took me a few days to get used to them. No biggie now. I make all of mine in the blender and add about 4 ice cubes. I always use non-fat milk and never water. Yuck. Milk adds more protein and calcium, too. 

I like a chocolate base by itself or sometimes I add a teaspoon of ground coffee for a mocha flavor. I am not a big coffee person so I just add a tiny bit. A small spoonful of peanut butter is a nice treat sometimes too. Tastes so good! Frozen strawberries in a choc. base taste good too. 

I also use a vanilla base. Sometimes I add  a few frozen nsa (no sugar added) strawberries (or fresh in available) or about 1/3 of a banana. 

Or add the banana plus a drop of two of coconut and/or rum extract. Kind of like a pina colada. 

Play around without adding sugar. A little bit of fruit can make a world of difference. 
Amy in CA 

Most Active