does skin bounce back?

mamabinck
on 5/27/11 11:39 pm, edited 5/27/11 11:49 pm - westville, NJ
Ok I know this is a bit premature but for all us banders out there does the skin bounce back? I know they say the slower you lose the easier it is for the skin. I also know it depends on how much you have to lose and your age. How many banders have had or are considering having plastic surgery to remove excess skin?  I had to laugh because at the same time I recieved my approval letter I also got a second letter from my insurance company stating they will not cover any type of cosmetic surgery to remove excess skin because of rapid weight loss. I have a long journey ahead of me but in the end when I reach my goal I don't want it to be a saggy one! So as I lose and adjust to having a band and I also go through dental hygiene school by the time I graduate I hope to be close to my goal and when I start working in the field I will begin my savings acct for my new body! So much to look forward to! I am excited to begin my new life!! 

Please let me know how you all are making out in the skin department and for those who have had any plastics tell me what you have had and what it has done for your confidence!!!

Thanks for being here through this journey for those of us who feel alone its nice to know we aren't!!!!!

crystal M.
on 5/27/11 11:54 pm - Joliet, IL
Yes you are correct.  How your skin bounces back has more to do with: how obese you were, how long you were obese, how old you are and genetics.  I was also told smoking is also a factor, because smoking destroys the elasticity of the skin.  A lot of people thing exercise will tighten skin.  But this is a misconception.  Exercise will build lean muscle but not tighten your skin.  I exercise 6 days a week and I have some awesome muscle tone...if you could see it...it's hidden under lots of flab.... 

I am 39, I was 354 lbs before surgery and I was obese for about 20 years.  I have lost 150lbs.  I now weigh 207 lbs and I'm 5'8.  I have hanging skin on my inner thighs, stomach and upper arms.  My boobs have held up ok.  I want to lose about another 50 lbs.  I will be looking into plastic surgery.  If it turns out I can't afford the surgery and have to live the loose skin...I won't regret anything.  Even with loose skin I feel better than ever, I look better now than I did at 25.  I won't feel sorry for myself and celebrate the fact I have added years to my life (a life that I can actually live) and I look great.   
(deactivated member)
on 5/27/11 11:57 pm - Mayville, NJ
Hi ya! Im from Jersey also and this is a huge concern for me...Im no spring chicken at 46 and my skin had to stretch ALOT to accomdate this weight. Its funny you posted this today because I had a yucky dream last night about it... I think alot of it depends on your skin (mine is cheap and delicate ) and , as I said, has a LOT of stretch marks to accomidate the extra weight it had forced on it. Being a good reactive person, this, of course, starts me ruminating about the future of which I have little control lol
vlp1968
on 5/28/11 1:12 am
I lost 107 pounds and was left with excess skin. So far I have had a tummy tuck/boob job and a face lift. I am pleased with the results of both. I agree, there isn't much you can do about the flab short of surgery. Congrats on your weight loss and keep it going!
(deactivated member)
on 5/28/11 1:14 am
cmag is EXACTLY right!!!

Im 29 years old.  I was banded at 27.  But - I was 330 lbs, and I had been that weight for 5 plus years.   I really thought being younger would help me, but since I was so obese for a long period of time, my skin was so stretched out and it looks like it's not going to get any better.

I work out 5 days a week, I strive for 6 but we all know how that is...    

Ive incorporated strength training for the 2+ years I've been post op, and like cmag said.... while I had some awesome muscle mass... I cant see the actual definition because it's hidden under the flab.  (pictures on my blog)

Anyway - Im about 40ish lbs away from where I think I need to be, then I'm going to see a plastic surgeon for a consultation to get it removed.  

My worst areas....   #1 my breasts!! Ohhh me oh my how they've deflated!  ICK!!   I was a 44DDD, and I've gone down to a 38D.   They're just FLAT now. 

My 2nd worst area is my "gut" area.  It just hangs... 

and then there are my upper thighs.  I look like a wrinkly elephant.      Sexy right??   LOL

However - with all of these "war wounds" and "battle scars"...   my little souveniers of weight loss surgery....   I'm MUCH healthier, and the only people that have to see me nekkid are ME and the hubbs.  

Good luck!
coachgrrl
on 5/28/11 1:49 am, edited 5/28/11 1:49 am
 At 47 my skin is ok, but not terrific.  Still beats being 280+ lbs.  I would love a TT, breast redux/lift, upper arm and thigh surgery.  Not sure if that'll ever happen as I have college tuition looming in the future for 3 kids.  

I went from a 44DD to a 38 LONG

lol

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/11 5:14 am - Mayville, NJ
 Oh that got me and made me lol---great post :)
Most Active