Gotta tell ya!

Jshivery
on 6/20/11 11:41 am
Revision on 03/10/16
I have to say walking/running is wonderful...I mean honestly.  At this point I can only run like 30 seconds at a time, but I'm okay with that right now.  I will eventually move up.  This is something I wouldnt have even given a second thought before my band.  My only issue is I have to remember to eat more on these days.  WHAT??????????  I have to remember to eat more???  My gosh I don't even know those words would come out of my mouth!!  Its crazy!!  I am scheduled to go in for a fill next Monday...I havent had one since April! 

I do have 1 question, for those of you who do excerise, does your stomach hurt ever?  Because of our schedules the best time for us to walk is right after supper.  I put the dishes in the sink and head out the door, other wise I would sit down and never get up!  So, you know the feeling of the "side stitches" you sometimes get?  I get those around my belly sometimes, like I jumped in the pool too soon after eating!  LOL...Anyone else?  My port area is sometimes sore and I still can't sleep on my belly, even though I want to so bad! 

Anyway sorry for rambling, any suggestions would be great!!   Thanks everyone!!!

Jamie

vlp1968
on 6/20/11 7:44 pm
You are probably getting the stomach pains because you are excersising on a full stomach. I have read you should eat about an hour before working out. Can you rearrance your schedule to allow that?
As far as your port, I would see your doc. You seem to be quite a few months postop. I don't think it should still be sore.
Best wishes!
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 1:38 am
Running is AMAZING isnt it!!???  I was like you... 30 seconds to a minute at a time, and Ive worked my way up to running 3.25 miles nonstop. YOULL GET THERE!  You just have to condition yourself, teach yourself how to breathe and focus on that!   Good job!!!   

I've never experienced the side stiches while running... but if I drink too much water it'll happen, or like the other poster said, a full stomach could contribute to that.

The port soreness... you're working your muscles!!  If its just an annoying soreness feeling, I'm sure you're fine.  But this still happens to me.  It actually happens more now since I've lost more weight.  In the beginning it wasnt nearly as bad, but the soreness happens to me everytime I do my strength training.    Running also works your core... so that's something to think about!

Keep it up!
Jshivery
on 6/21/11 7:00 am
Revision on 03/10/16
Thank you both for replying....

Jaclyn, thank you, I'm glad to know that what I'm doing is on the right track.  I don't know what you mean about breathing?  Is there a certain way that helps more then others?  Its funny because my pants I wear keep falling down when I run..I really need to get a tighter pair!!  Maybe I should order those!!  LMAO!!!!  That is awesome that you can run 3.25 miles w/out stopping..That is wonderful and my goal!!!  Do you notice that you need to up your calories??? 

Its just like a sore-ish pain.  I'm sure its nothing.  I have an appt on Monday w/ the PA for a fill, so I will ask then! 

Thanks so much and cant wait to hear from you!!

Jamie

debbie H.
on 6/21/11 7:38 am - AR
Jamie, my left side hurt, off and on, for almost 4 months, but especially when I exercised.  It was just like a "stitch in my side".  Someone on OH told me I could have damage to my diaphram and it might never get better.  And I noticed it never hurt first thing in the morning, or kept me awake at night, but it was off an on consistent nagging nusiance.  Then it would be gone a few days (yea!) and it would come back.  Then, almost suddenly, it went...and didn't come back.  I just kept on doing what I was doing, because it came and went for no aparent reason.  Don't know if that helps, but that's just what happened to me.  Good Luck!

Jshivery
on 6/21/11 7:55 am
Revision on 03/10/16
Thank you Debbie....It doesn't hurt any other time, except if my darn cat walks up my side, which I try to gaurd my port w/ my hand or if I try to lay on my stomach.  Other then that I don't have an issue and my other side just felt "stitchy" last night when I was exercising.  Hasnt hurt before or since...I think I was just on a full belly...I will try to atleast wait 30-60 minutes after I eat before I go out! 

Thanks for your help though!  your very sweet!!!!!  How are you feeling BTW???  Hows your weight loss so far?

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 10:48 am
by breathing I mean.. .just think about "in through the nose, out through the mouth".  Dont focus on "30 seconds.. and then I can walk" etc.   If you run with your shoulders back, head held high and looking forward, it'll get easier for you.

I found that I could only right for a few minutes because I was trying to run at too fast of a speed.  Now, I start at 4.5 for 5 minutes, then work my way up to 5.5-5.8, every 4 or 5 minutes.

You really do have to condition yourself, and you will.  You'll get there!  Just stick to it because running for me, REALLY melted the fat away! 
Jshivery
on 6/21/11 10:59 am
Revision on 03/10/16
Thank you so much!!  I can't wait to try it tomorrow!!  I will just keep working at it and it will come through!  My work sponsers a 5k run/1 mile walk for the Special Olympics every year.  Maybe by next year I will be able to do the run??  What do you think? 

Can I ask how many calories you eat a day? 

Thank you again soooooo much!!!  This is a new world that I am LOVING!!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/11 1:39 am
I'll send you a PM 
Most Active