Weigh****chers and Lap Band???

jacreasy
on 9/5/11 10:37 am, edited 9/5/11 10:38 am
VSG on 04/23/12
Its Jennifer again !  lol

I just wanted to know if there is anyone that has had the Lap Band done and is currently doing Weight       Watchers too.  If so how is it working for you with the foods and all and have you seemed to have lost more weight than usual?

Jennifer
jkhawk8
on 9/5/11 2:47 pm - Alexandria, KY
I don't know when you had your surgery, but I had mine about 3 1/2 years ago.  I lost 50 pounds the first year (it took me FOREVER to get restriction) and then less the second.  It wasn't the band's fault...some times I was too tight and ate only slider foods...and other times I just "ate around the band."  I joined WW in February of this year because the new points plus system looked like a plan I could live with.  So far I've lost an additional 25 pounds.

I'm happy with WW.  I know I have to restrict what I eat, it will probably be a life long battle, but at least WW lets me have that occasional treat (sometimes daily, if I need it) and still lose weight.  It's just made the most sense to me.

Good luck,
Jan

Iam_with_the_Band
on 9/5/11 5:47 pm
I was wondering Jan if you told them you had a LapBand.  I have a friend who is a facilitator at WW and she told me not to mention it if I went because they would ask me leave.  I haven't gone since getting my Lapband, but I have considered it many times - as I've hit many a plateau!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

jacreasy
on 9/6/11 12:33 am
VSG on 04/23/12
Hey,

I haven't had the band yet looking into it maybe next march or April due to ins process... I asked my WW leader and she said that if I felt I needed the lap Band it was fine but to make sure I came back and still did WW too. So I'm not sure if they are all like that. call the 1-800 number and ask or you can go to a meeting and tell them you have a friend that had LB done and they want to join see what they say... I don't see why they would turn you away its to lose weight no matter how you do it not to mention the support! Good Luck!!

Jennifer
Iam_with_the_Band
on 9/6/11 12:39 am
My friend who was the facilitator told me that many facilitators are anti-WLS and they feel that we have an advantage the others do not.  If I go, I won't mention the Band.  I feel it's my business anyway, so I usually don't share it with others.  I've found over the last 3 years that many are Anti-WLS and I don't enjoy hearing how I took the "easy way out."

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

jacreasy
on 9/8/11 12:22 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 That's sad... Yes I agree Its your business and I cant believe that they would be like that... That's not being very supportive and Its not taking the easy way out! Its making you a healthier person so what If people need more help with WLS. Just stay positive WW does work if you do it!

Jennifer
sesmith
on 9/5/11 10:50 pm
 I did WW, and told them about my band. No problema. I lost about 20 lbs. The only problem I had is the topic of the meetings repeat after a while, and I lost interest. Love the support of the group, and their products. I am considering re-joining as I put on a few lbs this summer. It is a Florida thing, weight gain in the summer, 
jkhawk8
on 9/6/11 4:40 am - Alexandria, KY
No, I didn't tell them I had a lapband...it's not any of their business.  Weight loss is weight loss, whatever tools I need to achieve it are the tools I plan to use. 

I don't generally tell people I have a band, partly because it's so second nature to me I sometimes forget myself that I have it.  But mostly because of people's uneducated opinions...I have too many things to do, I'd rather not waste time explaining to others why I have a band.

I don't always stay for the meetings, I go for the weekly weigh in accountability.  I need that level of motivation when I'm floundering.  And I have the monthly pass, so I can go to any meetings as many times as I want.  Some of the meetings are better than others, it all depends on the leaders.

My husband has also decided to follow the points system...he was impressed by how well I was doing.  He hasn't officially joined, but he's doing well.  I've never seen him so diligent in tracking his food intake.  So that's another plus for me.

Whatever you decide, it will be right for you.

kathkeb
on 9/6/11 8:52 am
I re-joined WW at about 6 weeks post op.
I lost 131 pounds in 18 months --- a loss or maintain every week except for 1 (then a big loss the next week).

It kept me focused and helped me learn portion control and making good choices.

I now attend most weeks -- weigh in at least monthly and am maintaining within my goal range.

I plan to use WW for the rest of my life (I am free now!!) to maintain my loss.
Kath

ohbearly
on 9/7/11 12:10 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
Jennifer, I had Lapband surgery 3 years ago and am a Weigh****chers at Work member. I have been a member for the past 5 years. Asa post op, I find the meetings a way to make myself accountable for maintaining my weight. I try to never miss a meeting and find the constant reinforcement that WW gives to be a part of my recovery and maintenance. I don't rigorously follow the points plus program, but definitely embrace the principles of the program. My goal is to maintain my healthy weight and keep from that upward creep. -- Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

Most Active