WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN?

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/11 3:23 am
As someone that paid out of pocket, nope.  I would go with the Sleeve surgery. No mechanical parts to fail me, no additional out of pocket costs for fills, and in my case multiple unfills.

Jean M.
on 9/18/11 3:31 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Yes, I would choose the band again. It has worked well for me, it suits my personality and my lifestyle and my medical needs. I knew before I had the surgery that I would have to make some major lifestyle changes and work hard in order to succeed. I don't think I understood then (how could I?) just how hard that work would be, and I've heard other bandsters say the same thing, but I'm not afraid of hard work.

I honestly don't believe there is a "perfect" WLS procedure. If only gastric bypass were available to me when I decided to have WLS, I would have had the bypass. If only the sleeve were available, I would have had the sleeve. One of the most frustrating things about WLS is that no bariatric surgeon or manufacturer of a medical device can guarantee weight loss without complications, and no one can predict the outcome of a particular procedure for a particular patient. Maybe in 10 or 20 years, better techniques will be developed. Or maybe a non-surgical, permanent cure for obesity (and some kind of obesity immunization to protect our children and grandchildren).

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Nic M
on 9/18/11 6:32 am
Absolutely would never choose the band. It damaged me more than I could have imagined.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Lisa O.
on 9/18/11 7:15 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Yes, I would.  The band has worked great for me and like Jean M. said it fits my personality well.  I lost 115 lbs in the first year but nothing since.  I still have 25-30 lbs that I would like to lose but I'm not too worried about it.  All my comorbidities are gone and I'm healthy and happy!

However, if my insurance had covered the Sleeve I probably would have gone for that.  The band requires maintenence through fills and unfills especially in the first year and finding the right fill level can be challenging.  I like the idea of the Sleeve because it's a restrictive proceedure without the need of adjustments. 

If I were you I would research all of your surgery options, talk to your surgeon and choose the one that will work for yourself!

Congratulations on taking the first step toward better health!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Hislady
on 9/18/11 7:33 am - Vancouver, WA
Would never ever chose the band again it has been a total waste of my time and money.
reverie
on 9/18/11 9:06 am
If I had to do it all over again..I'd do neither. The band has been successful for me but it seemed to be the mental push I needed more than the physical one. I lost 100lbs+ flawlessly but recently everything seems to want to get stuck, for no good reason and I don't even have a fill. Don't regret my decision but if I lost my band tomorrow I'd be fine with it.

Banded May 10, 2010

Onederland June 12, 2010

SW: 245lbs CW: 131lbs GW: 125ish.

From a size 20 to a size 2! Woo hoo.

Lisaizme
on 9/18/11 9:32 am, edited 9/18/11 9:32 am - TX
Yep.  In a New York Minute.

Why?  

Today I went to a store to exchange a size 18 skirt that I had bought in the spring, but had never worn (tags still on it).  I thought I would need a 14.  I ended up buying a 12 and probably could've gotten by with a 10!!   2.5 years ago I was in a 34!!!!!

Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

CDJ
on 9/18/11 11:36 am
Absolutely  I would.  It has been the best  thing for me.  I was afraid of the more drastic cutting surgeries.  I am at goal and have a great Dr.  He said he wished he had more patients who were as motivated as I was.  After I lost the first 30 pounds, It really got me motivated to exercise.  Eat Less - exercise more.  It has changed my life and I love it.
mira
on 9/18/11 12:29 pm - North, MA
Yes , Lap Band, it worked great for me, lost weight and have been maintainig for 6,5 years. No problems, not big or small, none.
Mira
Size 8

Kate -True Brit
on 9/18/11 8:29 pm - UK
Without hesitation.

There is no perfect surgery - all can " go wrong" for whatever reason. But as Jean says, the band not only fitted my stomach, it fitted my personality.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active