Dr.'s Release for surgery

Grider
on 9/20/11 9:30 am - Clearwater, FL
My surgeon's office just called and because I previously had the H-pylori they want my GI Dr. to give me a medical release for surgery. I haven't see him since 2010, and I hope he will just say I am fine, and sign the darn thing,, I am praying he will not require another endoscopy- no time no money, and I used a different Dr. since for my colonsocopy. ahg.. It was all going so well. :( Anyone else had to go back n do this with OUT having to have the procedure done again ?? I figured my reports would be all I needed!;)
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 9:56 am
testing positive for H-P recently was one of a few reasons my GI doc / surgeon & PCP all agreed my band HAD to come out last wk.

because of it, i couldn't revise at the same time to the sleeve.  
i'll bet you will have to do and endo/colonoscopy again to be cleared.   it's not a given, but my GI doc states he wouldn't clear anyone for a band w/H-P.    but everyone's story / health is different.

i wish you well.

Grider
on 9/20/11 10:27 am - Clearwater, FL
I would think another breath test would suffice, I cannot imagine having to go futher when nothing else was arong besides the hiatal hernia. well Illl be calling tomorrow,,, thanksn good luck to you as swell
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 2:36 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Are you aware that having a prior history of gastritis and having a prior history of a hiatal hernia puts you at a greater risk for a recurrence if you have the lap band surgery done ?

I know you want the lap band, but why would you go forward with lap band surgery if you are already considered high risk for adverse events due to your past medical history ?
Vanessa A.
on 9/21/11 12:04 am - FL
i guess it depends on the doctor, i had H Pylori before, but my surgeon didnt require anything from my gi doctor. The  breathing treatment is enought to test for H pylori! so dnt let them try and make you go through another endoscopy.

God grant me with the serenity to accept the things i cannot change ;  Courage to change the things that i can ;  and the wisdom to know the difference!!!

Grider
on 9/21/11 12:35 am - Clearwater, FL
I called the Dr who treated me and because I had went to a different GI dr afterwards  they told me to go see HIM, so I have called my new GI dr and praying he will just sign off, OMG these folks. So what if I changed Drs, anyhow they woulnt talk to me at all, I am praying my new GI will be nicer.
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 12:59 am
the problem with the breath test alone, is that it won't identify if you have ulcers (or something else associated with h-p, such as stomach cancer).

it wasnt' fun, but i was knocked out for both the endo/colonoscopy & while there biopsies were collected.

i 'think' most surgeons (at least mine), want more than the breath test ---- i asked to do that btw, to get the whole picture.   

as the previous poster states, surgeons all over have different protocol & clearance requirements.   i'd call my surgeons office & see what they require from your GI dr.   

good luck!!

Grider
on 9/21/11 1:07 am - Clearwater, FL
my endoscopy only had gastritis  and h pylori and some old closed up ulcer, this was in 2010, and was treated for the Hpylori which since theN I have been fine, if I do nto get clearance it would knock me out of the park for surgery,this year,  
Grider
on 9/22/11 5:22 am - Clearwater, FL
Well  my end result >endoscopy next wednesday, -  My GI Dr got me in quick ,so hopefully I will still have my paper work sent in by Oct 4- or that week. Apparently I had some other questionable items in my tummy- prob from an old ulcer- so yes, best make sure all is well in there. I just did not want to have to pay out any more money,, Oh well,, it is what it is,
(deactivated member)
on 9/22/11 12:31 pm - Mexico
On September 20, 2011 at 4:30 PM Pacific Time, Grider wrote:
My surgeon's office just called and because I previously had the H-pylori they want my GI Dr. to give me a medical release for surgery. I haven't see him since 2010, and I hope he will just say I am fine, and sign the darn thing,, I am praying he will not require another endoscopy- no time no money, and I used a different Dr. since for my colonsocopy. ahg.. It was all going so well. :( Anyone else had to go back n do this with OUT having to have the procedure done again ?? I figured my reports would be all I needed!;)

There really is no reason they can't do an H Pylori biopsy when they do your band.
Most Active