Could use some advice!

Rachael C.
on 9/21/11 4:11 am - Newcastle, ME
 HI All, I am 15 months post op and I am struggling. I have lost 73lbs but for the past 2 months I have been fluctuating up and down about 5lbs.  I know I dont need any more fills because I can barely eat certain foods and not  very big portions as it is. However, I find myself going for the chocolate or something that goes down easily :(  I know this is wrong, but Ive started to get frustrated that I cant enjoy a meal without being in pain or feeling like I have to vomit!!  :( 
vlp1968
on 9/21/11 4:39 am
It may sound counterintuitive, but I think you might benefit from a small unfill. You should be able to eat an appropriate size meal without feeling pain or vomiting. You may be relying on "sliders" (food that goes right through the band) because other healthy foods (lean meat, cheese, veggies, nuts) are making you uncomfortable. I would make an appt. and talk to your surgeon about how your doing. Good Luck
Lisa O.
on 9/21/11 5:13 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Yep, sounds like you might be too tight.  You should be able to eat real food comfortably but just a smaller portion.  When you turn to chocolate and other soft (slider) foods because it's too hard to eat solids that is  maladaptive eating behavior and it's dangerous.  It will stall your WL for sure.  I tell you this because I've been in your shoes.  It's pretty common at a year out or after a large WL because we all get bored and lose motivation when the weight loss slows down.  Kick the habit now!  Start by getting back to good bandster eating with solid protein (60-80 grams) veggies and a little fruit.  If you can't eat solid foods then it's time for a slight unfill.  Plan your meals and treat yourself to a little chocolate on occasion IF you've had your protein for the day.

Don't risk losing the tool that helped you lose 73 lbs!

Take care,
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Hislady
on 9/21/11 7:59 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree sounds like you are a touch too tight, even a .1 cc unfill can help make life more bearable. When you go for easy to get down foods it is a good sign that you are too tight. See if a little unfill doesn't help.

Rachael C.
on 9/21/11 11:08 am - Newcastle, ME
 Thank you all for the advice, I had a feeling I was too tight, but I am afraid even just a little unfill will make me gain weight, but after reading your posts it does make sense that it may actually help me :)  I am choosing slider foods because they dont "hurt" ...... I know this is not the best thing for me.  I will call the nurse tomorrow and see about getting an appointment. Again, thank you all :) 
Hermosa L
on 9/22/11 1:35 am
Alot of us think with a tighter band we will lose more weight but it's happens to be the opposite it has happened to all of us.. good luck with a slight unfil you feel better and make better choices.
Most Active