Nervous about psychological evaluation

shechrissy
on 3/5/12 6:57 am
Hello!

After about 3 years of sitting on the paperwork for beginning the process with my local bariatric surgery clinic, I finally submitted the forms this past fall. I hadn't heard a thing until late last week when I got a phone call to schedule a session with the psychologist, nutritionist, and an initial evaluation. Instead of being thrilled, I was nervous.

The one area I feel I may be in jeopardy with is passing the psychology evaluation. I have lived with depression for quite some time. Although I'm on a good combination of medications and am followed by my own psychologist, I still have my good days and bad. Is this something I should be worried about? I am afraid that insurance or the bariatric program would turn me away until the depression is gone... but that'll never happen.

Thanks for any input to help calm my worries.

Lifebeauty
on 3/5/12 8:38 pm
I am sure you don't have anything to worry about.  There are many people with depression that get approved for weight loss surgery.  Be thrilled.  Try not to look for things to depress you.  Getting the psych eval is a step towards your goal.  Best wishes,
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

shechrissy
on 3/5/12 10:22 pm
Thank you for the support.

In reading some of the archived forum posts on this site, I'm feeling a lot more confident in what I need to prepare myself for as far as the psychological evaluation goes. There was actually even a page about that I found that goes over what will be discussed during the eval, hopefully it may help others with the same questions:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/content/psychologicalevaluation.h tml

In the end, I know that if I don't pass the evaluation, it's not the end of my journey. I would have a set of goals to work towards in my continuing journey before surgery, It would be disappointing, but I've read about people going through the denial and, in hindsight, being thankful for the extra steps they took to be better prepared for life post-surgery.

Cheers!
Chrissy
vlp1968
on 3/5/12 11:27 pm
The psyc. I met with made it clear at the beginning of the session she was there to get to know me and help prepare for surgery, not to deny it. I have bipolar and addiction issues and was completly honest. She talked to my counselor and psyciatrist and I was moved ahead to surgery without any issues. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Good luck!
shechrissy
on 3/5/12 11:44 pm
I also am Bipolar. Thanks so much for your input! I feel much more confident now.
missionhealthy
on 3/6/12 4:54 am - CO
I think everyone is nervous about the Psych eval. You will do fine. They work for the doctor doing the surgery, so they are already bias.

Congratulations on beginning the process. I had my band put in in August, 2011. I love my band.

Terri

sw 239
cw 199
gw 150
jessielynn0521
on 3/10/12 8:07 am - Ronkonkoma, NY
I have bipolar & passed the psych eval for surgery you should be fine   wishing you the best of luck

Jessica

Most Active