Gastric bypass after lap band?

getsemani
on 3/16/12 2:46 am - Pleasantville, NJ
I'm just curious. I've had the lap band since 2008 and it's been an uphill struggle for me, and I seem to be losing the battle. Initially, I started shedding off the pounds, but then I started gaining. I would lose some and gain some. Now, I'm almost back to the same weight I was when I had the surgery done. My surgeon was hesitant about giving me another fill, but we went with it, but I don't know if this is gonna work for me.

Is it possible to have gastric bypass after an unsuccessful lap band procedure? I was too embarrassed to ask my doctor.
cinrog
on 3/16/12 3:08 am
 Don't be embarrassed, he's the medical professional that would best give you an answer.   Try working on the new fill, set your mind to meet your goals and work at it.   It is a TOOL, learn to work with it.   If it does not, make an appointment and speak with your lap band surgeon.  
Good luck.

getsemani
on 3/16/12 4:36 am - Pleasantville, NJ
I'm gonna try my hardest this last time. It seeems that everytime I put my mind to losing the weight, I never reach my goal. I tend to hit a plateau and that really frustrates me.
kathkeb
on 3/16/12 3:23 am
If the band has not eroded, and your stomach is intact, there should not be a problem revising from band to RNY or sleeve or DS.

See what happens with this fill and then have a frank conversation with your surgeon and ask about your options.

You may have problems getting insurance to pay for it ......some will only pay for 1 bariatric procedure per lifetime, but physically, you should be ok to revise.
Kath

Cheryl N.
on 3/16/12 5:34 am - Des Moines, WA
Yep I had band issues, and revised to gastric bypass.  I am very happy that I did it.  I wish I had the gastric bypass done in the first place.   I threw up everyday, couldn't eat dense protein without throwing up even when I wasn't tight.  Too many random tightness.  Regain ed weight because it was depressing me.

I revised 7.5 months ago and now have 41 more pounds to go!!

Did you talk with your surgeon about revising? 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Judy M.
on 3/16/12 12:55 pm
Absolutely, the band has a very high faikure rate.  It is a terrible wls imho.  I was revised from band to bypass and wish I had done it in the first place.

AUDREY A.
on 3/17/12 8:31 am - McKinney, TX
Revision on 03/21/12

I was also banded Oct 2010 and will be revising to  Gastric bypass on Wed 21st.
I too had a lot of problems with my band.

Audrey

Thinner2
on 12/6/13 11:07 am
Revision on 12/17/13

Audrey have U had the bypass done yet? I'm am having my revision done of December 17, and I am nervous. 

wink Thinner2

have anyone been approved by Medicare for gastric bypass?

getsemani
on 3/17/12 3:11 pm - Pleasantville, NJ
 What criteria do doctor's use to do a revision gastric bypass? I was weighing almost 240 lbs when I was banded, and now I'm up to 236 lbs after 4 years. I had gone down to 198, hit a plateau and it's been a roller coaster ride since then.

For those who had a gastric bypass after being banded, how was the process? Any info will be greatly  appreciated.
He who can't be Named
on 3/18/12 5:12 pm
Many of us revise to other surgeries after a failed band, but I suggest you look into the sleeve or DS. They are the best options depending on whether you think you need a mal-absorptive or restriction only procedure.
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
Most Active