I kind of want to just give up

Thundergrrrl
on 3/28/12 4:59 am
WTF man?

I've had my band 2 years with zero complications and issues. Only PB'd a few times when I ate too fast or tried something that just didn't work and haven't had that happen in 6 months or more.  I believe in prevention and early detection so I got a UGI at my first year post-band and at my 2nd year. And what do you know but now, 2 years out, my esophagus is dilated a good deal and I'm having achalasia (not quite sure if I actually do or it's just trending that way, but I'm told the barium swallow stuff would go down and up, down and up, as if my esophagus didn't have enough strength to get it down.) 

Now obviously it's not a huge deal yet because I don't have any symptoms and my doctor is going to loosen the band but it doesn't sound like he wants to empty it completely, not sure yet. I only have 4.5 CCs in a 10 CC band so I always figured I was keeping it on the loose side.

Well, I'm just angry in general and starting to wonder if continuing with the band is a good option even though this is my first slight road bump. It just seems that once people start having problems, they keep coming. I'll find out on Friday how serious my dr. thinks it is. If he wants to completely unfill me or even talk about revising. It's probably way too early to talk about that. But dang, I hate this.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Nic M
on 3/28/12 5:40 am
I'm sorry. I really am.

Wishing you the best.

~Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

hopeful and happy
on 3/28/12 7:38 am, edited 3/28/12 7:38 am - Skinnytown, MA
SO sorry to hear it! Hang in there and hope you continue to feel well!
Cheryl N.
on 3/28/12 9:13 am - Des Moines, WA
Awww I'm sorry.  I think maybe look into revision? 

Sounds like what Jean M. has (achalasia) ... u may want to contact her?

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

MARIA F.
on 3/28/12 10:12 am - Athens, GA

Hugs! Sorry it's happened to you too. You know it really is scary, b/c we seem to be finding out about more and more band complications all the time! The failed band forum is actually a very good resources even though many want to think these things will never happen to them, or only happen to those that are noncompliant. I remember when N.M. used to be the only one that talked about referring left pain, and now I see that a lot. And Pumpkin was the first that I saw post about achalasia. Now were haveing more bandsters report the same thing. I have heard recent reports of pulmonary problems associated with the band, and possibly fibro myalga. As much as I complain about my band, I feel very luck compared to some of the other bandsters!!!

Since you were symptom free, my guess it that had you not had the test, that it would have just gotten worse and more than likely caused a slip as well. There does seem to be a rash of esophageal dialation being reported now.

I know I don't even have to say it......you know my suggestion would be to revise before the next complication sets in. If you are however considering trying to stick it out with the band, please keep in mind that many insurance companies are instituting the "one WLS per lifetime" clause. I would hate to you to put it off and then have you insurance company do the same thing.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Hislady
on 3/28/12 10:50 am - Vancouver, WA
Sorry you are joining our ranks and you are right it seems once a person starts having problems they tend to continue. Once in awhile a total unfill for a few months or weeks will help but it does tend to return. I wish you nothing but the best, you've done great so far but you may have to revise to keep off the weight you've fought so hard to get rid of.
He who can't be Named
on 3/28/12 10:58 am
I'm sorry you are joining our ranks. No one wants to be one of us that the band failed, but our group grows saddeningly fast. 

I will suggest that if you are considering a revision, make sure you have a surgeon that actually does different surgeries. I was talked out of a sleeve initially, and now realize the surgeon couldn't even do them (or the DS) so that limited my choices.

Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
melly37
on 3/28/12 11:11 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I am not a band basher.....but the more I see, the more I think our bodies just weren't meant to function long term with a silicone ring wrapped around our stoma.  I know that there are some exceptions, like Bette and Kate and Nana, who have had their band for a long time and are doing well...so, maybe I am wrong.  

Hugs to you....keep us up to date!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

MARIA F.
on 3/28/12 11:43 am - Athens, GA
On March 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM Pacific Time, melly37 wrote:
I am not a band basher.....but the more I see, the more I think our bodies just weren't meant to function long term with a silicone ring wrapped around our stoma.  I know that there are some exceptions, like Bette and Kate and Nana, who have had their band for a long time and are doing well...so, maybe I am wrong.  

Hugs to you....keep us up to date!

Melly I know those ladies work hard to work with their bands, but I think most of us did as well. So from that I am observing.........it really just comes down to LUCK. As I have said for quite awhile now.......the band is really a crap shoot! :-(

But I have to admit, TG's thread here has me very concerned. I am very cautious with my band, try to follow band rules, and there have been 2 or 3 times when it got too tight and I thought I might have to have a slight unfill again, but a few days on liquids and mushies took care of that. But TG didn't have and signs of a band complication! She was symptom free and just luckily found out b/c she wanted the UGI as a precautionary measure. It makes me wonder..........how many bandsters have the same problem and don't even know it yet?! Do I have the same problem also?! You know of my concerns with band issues, but this one has me very upset. :-(

FormerlyFluffy.com

Nikki C.
on 3/28/12 1:17 pm - Gaithersburg, MD
Your post is a big fear of mine!  However on the other hand, I have been having some unexplained issues and I do feel like something could be wrong but Im just not getting answers (thats another story entirely but one I'm aggressively working on)

I hope whatever your options are at this point your doctor will work with you and if a revision is the answer, well that might be the best answer.

While I am happy with what my band has done for me, I do often often think the same thing about continuing with it being a good option.  For some of us issues don't get resolved quickly, correctly and it's just added nonesense that keeps us from living our lives.  The maintenance in itself when you get to a point where maintaining becomes problematic is clearly the reason why people give up with their bands.  With what I have been through over the last month, I can't say I blame to a certain degree.

I know you have done well with your band and I wish you the best. Hopefully Friday will have the best outcome possible.  Please keep us posted.

Most Active