Protein Shake options/help

rissa1224
on 10/9/12 10:55 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12
Hello! I have FINALLY started my process for the lap band, (hopes to have the surgery before the end of this year)

Met the with nutritionist last night and she said she wants me to start a post op 'diet'. Not too strict but she wants me to have protein first thing in the morning. She suggested shakes with NO addedatives. She suggested Jillian Michaels. Has anyone ever had that? Any other good recommendations on good no addedative shakes/powders? She also suggested sugar free almond milk to mix in for extra taste. I dont want the shakes to taste gross and make me dread having to drink them.

I have 3 new rules to live by. 1. Never start the day with a carb. 2. Never start a meal with a carb. 3. Never eat a carb alone. I am allowed to have carbs but I apparently have some "chemical imbalance" which is why I have been heavy my entire life-  I was a 10lb baby. I have blood work tomorrow and the nutritionist put on there to test some other stuff Something like PCOS? Not sure what that is though.

thanks!!!!
NanaB .
on 10/9/12 11:18 pm

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! You are right on about those 3 rules to live by :).

Unjury was and still is my favorite protein drink (chocolate classic), taste like Nestle quick and high in protein, it help me shed a whole lot of weight, in fact I just ordered some recently to help jump my weight loss.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

rissa1224
on 10/9/12 11:30 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12
Thank you! Awesome ,I will write it down. She pushed for anything with nothing added into it. Which is understandable being a nutritionist, she sees them as "bad". I will look into that!
cryspyx
on 10/10/12 1:11 am - Hartford, CT
PCOS is polycystic ovarian syndrome. very common in women, something around 1 in 20 and i've heard it as high as 1 in 10. it affects how your body manages insulin and how it relates to weight loss. i've got it myself. along with the insulin problems, weight gain, and i get the other symtoms it affects with child bearing and ovulation, and so on. it's a pretty simple blood test to determine if you have it.

rissa1224
on 10/10/12 1:25 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Oh wow, I get my blood work done tomorrow and thats one test the nutritionist is having me get tested for. Now that I have been on the pill since I was about 17, its controlled my period a lot. I got mine when I was 9. She right then and there said I bet its PCOS. It makes me nervous now for when I want to have children. I wonder how badly it will affect that?

cryspyx
on 10/10/12 6:00 am - Hartford, CT
not sure. i'm not a doctor. :) though i've been told it's the #1 reason for infertility among couples.

in my case i was switched from birth control (which was used to regulate my periods because without it i simply don't get one) to fertility drugs. it's from one hormonal treatment to another. i've know several women with PCOS who had healthy babies. it just depends on the person. i also take metformin to treat to the insulin regulation (much like a diabetic i gather since its a popular medication used for type 2 diabetics).

kathkeb
on 10/10/12 2:22 pm
PCOS can affect fertility ---- but as you lose weight, your PCOS will likely improve and your fertility will likely improve.

Make very (very) sure that you continue to use contraceptives as you are losing until you are ready to conceive.

Your fat cells contain estrogen and as they shrink, you estrogen levels will ebb and flow accordingly --- many women become MUCH more fertile after weight loss surgery.

I can't believe you got your period when you were 9 --- I was a late bloomer and did not start until I was 17 --- and then I was regular as clock-work (every 27 days) for 35 years before I started menopause.
I never had PCOS, but I went through infertility treatments, so I found out alot about it during that phase.

Good luck with the bloodwork.
Kath

cryspyx
on 10/10/12 11:22 pm - Hartford, CT
same here. didn't get mine until i was sixteen and even then it was so sporatic i never knew when to anticipate the stupid thing.  i've heard the talking point about losing weight making fertility better. i keep hoping that will work for me. :) so far no dice, even after losing over a hundred pounds. ah well, it will happen when it's meant to happen.
grannymedic1
on 10/10/12 6:34 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I love syntrax Nector. They have many flavors but my favorite is their Fuzzy Navel. It has no Aspertame, it mixes easily, does not clump usually, can be mixed with water or milk though milk has carbs it is also protein. I prefer it mixed with water but almond milk sounds good. My nut suggested adding non fat dry milk (1/3 cup) to anything I can to add extra protein.

Honestly, I question the advice to have a shake for breakfast this far away from your surgery. You may get too hungry. Give it a try for a few days and if you can't adapt to it contact her for suggestions. The purpose of getting started now is to shrink your liver in preparation for surgery. Also, you do need to learn new habits that will continue for life and now is a good time to start. Practice tiny bites, eating very slowly.

I have known a couple of people with PCOS that have lost their weight and then be able to conceive but your gyn should be the one to take that up with.

It is HIGHLY recommended to not get pregnant for two years after surgery, in fact my surgeon insists on 2 forms of BC. Not me, of course, I'm too old but would be happy to try.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

SueBee01
on 10/10/12 12:24 pm - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I liked the unflavored so that I could add it to anything. I also liked Premier chocolate. You will just have to experiment and find what works for you. They all taste different.

Good luck!
 Sue

Most Active