What are you eating today (Sunday) or yesterday?

vlp1968
on 2/16/13 10:11 pm

Hi, Hope everyone is having a good weekend.  I have had a rough few days food choice wise.  I tutor out of my home.  The mom of a girl I thought was a long term thing backed out after one session.  She emailed me that her former teacher offered to tutor her before school, and that was much more convenient.  I have gone back and forth on believing that and thinking I did something wrong.  The session seemed to go great.  She said she was coming back Thur. and even shorted me 5 dollars.  She said she would give it to me Thur., which I had no problem with.  Anyway- that's what's going on with me.  Thanks for reading.  Today is a new day, an opportunity to make better choices.

B- Fiber one and yogurt

S- Protein shake

L- eggs, whole wheat muffin and asperagus

S- Wheat thins and cheese

D- Chicken sausage and veggie stew

S- 1/4c nuts

Jean M.
on 2/17/13 8:49 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

The behavior of that student's mom does sound hinky to me.  And shorting someone $5 is absurd. In the long run, it may be better not to have to deal with her at all.

My food yesterday:
B: protein latte
S: scrambled egg beater w/ cheese
S: cinnamon oatmeal breakfast cookie
L: black-eyed pea & veggy salad w/ Havarti cheese
S: smoked salmon, crackers
S: raw fennel
D: veal schnitzel, fennel-mushroom-feta salad
S: snack mix (chocolate Fiber one cereal, peanuts, banana chips)

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Orrniks
on 2/18/13 9:30 am - NE

Is it common for you to eat this much (or better worded as often)? is this a common thing for everyone? This is an honest question hope it makes sense...I have surgery sometime between next week and the beginning of March.

"With No Risk...Comes No Reward"

Follow Me on my Weight loss Journey at Tumblr: http://wshfullyshrnkng.tumblr.com/

Jean M.
on 2/19/13 3:52 am
Revision on 08/16/12

That's a good question, but despite the years I've spent on OH and other forums, I can't say whether my food intake and frequency is common or not. I'm leaning towards not.

When I was banded, I did fine eating 6 times a day: 3 small meals and 3 small (planned, healthy) snacks. That was according to my dietitian's food plan. It kept my blood sugar fairly steady as well as keeping physical hunger at bay. That's a benefit of eating every few hours that anyone can benefit from, not just diabetics.

In my 4th year as a bandster, I sometimes forgot to eat because I wasn't very hungry.

In April 2012, I lost my band due to problems not directly related to my band but affected by it. In August 2012, I had VSG surgery and quickly discovered that the hunger suppression many sleeve patients enjoy was not my experience. In fact, I was experiencing ferocious physical hunger no matter what or how often or how much I ate. At the same time, my blood sugar went out of control - crazy highs and lows that increased my physical hunger and made me feel generally miserable. I talked with a NP/diabetes educator about it and her best advice was to eat frequently all day long in order to keep my blood sugar as steady as possible. I'm not able to do that at work because I'm allowed to eat and drink only in the break room and only during my one 15-minute break. When I'm not at work, I have to eat 7-8 times a day. I've also had to start taking a diabetes medication called metformin. I still experience the physical hunger, but it's not quite as ferocious as it was at first.

But that's just me trying to get along better with my sleeve. Some bariatric surgeons and dietitians recommend that bandsters eat only 3 times a day, while others allow bandsters to eat 1 or more snacks in addition to meals. You can drive yourself crazy trying to understand why different bariatric clinics use such different protocols. Neither of the band manufacturers dictate that kind of thing to their customers (the clinics) because if the patients those customers are treating have good outcomes (maximum weight loss with minimal complications), it would be self-defeating to stop selling the band to the "non-compliant" clinics. And if the manufacturers employed teams of quality assurance professionals, no one would be able to afford to use the band.

That's probably a whole lot more than you wanted to hear....if so, I apologize!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active