Help- I might be 'stuck'.

shananapa
on 6/23/13 11:16 am, edited 6/25/13 1:09 am - Napa, CA
I haven't been able to keep anything down for over 24+ hours. Since lunch on Saturday. Even water is coming back up? any ideas? Yesterday lunch was last meal. broccoli , with Caesar chicken salad( I don't usually have problems with chicken).<br /><br />
Any ideas would be appreciated. Don't want an ER trip and really don't want a bariatric swallow or upper endoscopy.<br /><br />
Thanks<br />
** Just an update, whatever was blocking me seems to have passed finally. I have been able to have liquids since Monday morning and will stay on them for a few days before going to mush and solids. I can't thank everyone enough for their help and support. It was difficult decision to call Dr. I had my surgery a couple hours from home as there is no one local and still isn't, my local ER would not have been able to help except to hydrate and I was still having output so wasn't so worried that I couldn't wait til Monday. Thank you again for all help!!****

Start 340 / Current 265

annie0039
on 6/23/13 11:54 am

It sounds like you might be too tight? I noticed that you were banded 2007 and probably haven't had a recent fill? Scar tissue underneath the band Will and Does cause tightening. Go back to a liquids, if your tight your probably also inflamed internally.

i find it encouraging if this is the first time you've been stuck in 6 yrs.angry

I've read that drinking pineapple Juice can help or hot tea.etc...?

Call the Doctor that is the only way to determine the problem. The barium swallow will tell you if it's esophageal opposed to band , but I have to agree in respect to the endoscopy, because unless it's erosion the vast majority of times you go through the endoscopy and they just say the band is "fine"

I hope you get to feel better soon.

grannymedic1
on 6/23/13 12:04 pm, edited 6/23/13 12:05 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

This is beyond stuck. This is an emergency situation. If you could drink you could wait until tomorrow but you really need to get some fluid taken out ASAP. You will rapidly become dehydrated, which is very serious. The situation will not resolve itself. Once things get irritated and inflamed you get swelling. With swelling comes the inability to eat and in your case drink. Again, this is serious. I highly recommend a trip to the ER. Call your surgeons answering service and request that they call ahead. After you get some or all of your fluid out you need to go on strict liquids for 24 to 48 hours then progress to softs, then gradually to solids. If at any time you get stuck again return to liquids. Take your surgeons advice about getting refilled but go slowly.

I wish I had better news for you but this is something you must get taken care of. Keep us posted.

Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Hislady
on 6/23/13 12:38 pm - Vancouver, WA

I agree with both ladies I think it is time for a trip to the ER but at the very least call your doc, they should have someone on call. This is very serious if you can't get fluids down. It's time for drastic action!

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/13 1:04 pm

You could also have a slip.

NanaB .
on 6/23/13 11:22 pm

Hmmm...I've had a band for almost 8 years and the ONLY time I've had problems with not getting liquids down were when my pouch got dilated with my old band and I would spit slimy stuff on liquids...sound like some type of slip, either pouch dilation or band slippage.

Typically if you get food stuck and get irritated and inflamed, after 1 day you SHOULD be able to get down room temperature liquids, if you can't, sounds like you are in trouble.

I would say wait it out and only room temp liquids...but if you can't keep liquids down after 24 hours, sorry but you have no choice but to see your surgeon to remove some saline ASAP.

Good luck.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

gorditabonita
on 6/24/13 5:58 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

That's how it all started for me and it went down hill quickly.....I was 5 years out with my band and then all of a sudden couldn't get anything down. I would make an appointment with your dr right away.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Most Active