What is the prognosis?

ConnieJOS
on 3/17/16 11:09 am - Knoxville, TN

Hello everyone!  I have had a lapband since July 2007.  I lost 115 lbs and have gained back about 20 in the last couple of years.  I have been out of touch, not being on this site or in communication with anyone about the band for years.  I haven't seen my lapband doctor since 2009.  I don't seem to have terrible problems, but I will admit that I throw up a LOT.  If I eat late in the evening, I'm up at least spitting up some food or residue from food throughout the night.  Sometimes I eat a big meal, but half way through I have to go to the bathroom and throw it up.  It has just become a way of life, and it's a secret life because I don't want people to know.  It's embarrassing.  I know that's not good at all, but as far as I know there is no major damage done so far.  I do get concerned about what's going on inside me or even if it will rot my teeth.  I just got on this site today and I see SO many people with major problems and having their bands removed or revisions to other surgeries.  I had no idea.  Do they even do lapband surgery any more?  Has it been so unsuccessful that they quit?  Are there many, or even ANY success stories out there?  I considered mine a success for a long time, but now I'm 59 years old and I'm worried about what may happen to it as I age.  I'm sure at the very least I need to get back to my surgeon and have it checked out.  I did have an upper GI scope a year ago and they said everything looked good, but I'm not sure that would really show much about what my band is doing.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Connie

Valapp
on 3/18/16 9:14 am

I had my lap band in 2009.  In 2014 I started having terrible reflux, especially at night.  I started throwing up a lot. Everything I ate got stuck in my band and I felt awful.  This went on for several months while I researched online for what could be going on.  I read everything I could find and realized it wasn't only me.  Almost everyone I read about who had the band placed about the same time I did was having trouble.  After reading all the bad things happening to people, I decided to find a doctor who seemed to know about revisions.  I didn't want to go back to the doctor who had placed the band because I didn't feel I got proper after care.  Long story but I found a good doctor who immediately ordered an upper GI and he told me the band needed to be removed asap and revised to RNY. I had surgery last July 27th to have the band removed and revised to RNY.  I spent two days in the hospital and came home.  I have had no complications and all my labs have been great!.  The best part is it cured my reflux and food doesn't get "stuck" anymore and I don't throw up.  It is dangerous to throw up everyday.  You must find a doctor you trust and follow his advice.  I have lost 60 pounds since surgery and I am just 17 pounds away from my goal.  I know many people lose a lot more and faster, but I am 70 years old with a revision.  They prepared me from the beginning I might not lose as fast. I am down from a 16 to a 10 so I am satisfied with my progress.  Please do your research and see someone about this.  You could be doing real harm to yourself by continually throwing up.  Please let us know how you are doing. 

HW 280

CW 168

Goal 165

sheriberi29
on 3/19/16 1:41 pm - Cleveland, TN

Did your insurance give you any trouble about revising ? I'm having a very difficult time . 

Valapp
on 3/23/16 1:26 pm

Sorry, I have been out of town and just saw this.  Fortunately, I have Medicare and they didn't give me any problem.  I was very surprised but once I had cardiac clearance and psych eval it went straight through.  Hope you get everything worked out. 

HW 280

CW 168

Goal 165

grannymedic1
on 3/24/16 5:04 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I had no trouble at all with my insurance over revision.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Hislady
on 3/18/16 5:00 pm - Vancouver, WA

If you are vomiting that is a huge red flag and a very serious problem! No doubt your teeth are being ruined and your esophagus is getting drenched in acid. All that acid can cause Barrett's espohagus a pre cancerous condition. You can also vomit in your sleep which can cause you to choke to death or get pneumonia. Your band is dangerously tight and you really need to get a partial unfill so you aren't vomiting, a properly fitted band will not cause you to vomit. Eventually tho even an empty band will cause tightness and vomiting because the scar tissue builds up under the band between the band and the stomach. Those can't be seen with any tests because it is in an area that can't be seen except sometimes and endoscopy can see part of it if it has slipped or eroded.

You absolutely MUST see your doc and get it removed as soon as possible, your very life depends on it. I belong to several failed band groups and this happens time and time again. If your old do won't help you find another one who will! Good luck to you!

grannymedic1
on 3/24/16 5:14 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

Get a complete unfill now! No excuses, this could be life threatening. That is what was happening to me and my surgeon told me it HAD to come out. At the time I loved my band but he told me that after the unfill didn't help, that when your tool is harming you it is no longer your friend.  Call your surgeons office tomorrow. When you go in you tell them every little bit. Yes, they will order a UGI but that is only one source of information. Mine didn't show anything, but when the unfill, after about six weeks, didn't improve anything it was revision. Your tool is killing you and I can almost guarantee you are resorting to sliders to cope, causing weight gain.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

sheriberi29
on 4/18/16 4:28 am - Cleveland, TN

Many of us have had upper GIs that showed no problems at all as well as scopes that showed not great but not terrible either ... A lot of problems are found only when they go to remove the band. I went through the exact same thing as you . Each test came back ok and I had to really push for them to keep looking. I was shocked at the resistance I met for someone to listen to me that something was not right. I'm having my band removed  and revised to a sleeve....finally after 3 denials and an uphill battle with insurance . I have vagus nerve damage from the band and I started seeking help with a 20 lb regain that has led to 45-50 lb regain because of the continued vomiting and inability to eat anything remotely healthy. I really hope that you get help to get your band removed if it's causing you problems. Please keep us updated . 

Most Active