Banded for 8 1/2 years and looking for friendly support

bandhope
on 3/22/16 7:03 pm - TX

I took a break from being " the weight loss girl". The evil head games I played caused me to have a weight issue. The band helped me lose 50 lbs, but I know the way I treat myself is what will keep me healthy and happy. Time to practice good habits and treat myself well by checking in. I am doing well. I finished my 2nd marathon back in December. I took on a stressful job and I don't spend as much time doing things that kept me in tiptop shape. My training season was much harder on me this time and I suffered a knee injury. I managed to complete the marathon, but took some time off to heal. I now need to set new goals so here I am. I still have my band and I won't say it is perfect, but when I practice healthy living, it is my friend. I know each person is different and each person is very unique so I refuse to compare myself to others or place judgement on others. I am here for support and lift others up as well. 

kkwarnke
on 3/25/16 3:05 pm
Lap Band on 07/27/14

Good afternoon-

I am new to the site. I was so glad to read your post. My husband and I are both banded. We have been struggling as well. We are glad we made the choice to get it. You're so correct about being disciplined about what we eat and drink. We have totally fell off track. What have you started doing to get back on track? Also congrats on your marathons! One thing we all have to remember is one person's opinion should not reflect on our feelings. Here's the thing about the lap band. This is my opinion of course. The lap band didn't tell us to put those bad foods and drinks in our mouths. We did that on our own. So we can't blame the lap band on us gaining weight. It is there to help us to be obedient to our bad habits of eating and drinking. My husband and I went through True Results for our lap band. And we had a wonderful experience. And continue to have a great experience! But we live in Austin, Tx. So I can't speak for other True Result sites. Our surgeon and the staff and the nutritionist are wonderful!

Are there any certain recipes that you can recommend? I have some if you'd like them? Also do you live near me? Maybe we can workout together? I hope nothing I have said offends you. I am just tired of all the negativity of the band. I agree its not for everyone, but don't be so dang negative and scare people!

HAVE A HAPPY EASTER

Sincerely;

Kandice :-)

sheriberi29
on 3/26/16 2:28 pm - Cleveland, TN

Congratulations on your lap band success. I see that you had it placed in 2014. So you would naturally still believe in your tool. Work it for as long as it will work for you and I hope that you and your husband beat the odds and after 5-10 years, are still problem free with no suffering, no extrem pain in your stomach, shoulder, esophagus , sleepless nights of sitting up , inability to swallow your own saliva, Ect Ect ....The veteran banded people do not intend to scare or be negative , just simply try to make others aware that they have lied to us about its longevity and it is not a forever tool. The problems with this tool are real and painful and we just try to support one another in telling the truth about our suffering because even the most compliant lap bander feels like a failure when the band begins to give problems.  Good luck with your band and I really hope in 5-10 years you find yourselves with the most elite bariatric health coverage plan you can find . Just in case 

also , the band WILL tell you what to put in your mouth and cause people to regain the weight when it becomes a problem to eat a piece of chicken, or fruit and the only thing that stays down is a slider food .... 

keynote34
on 3/28/16 7:32 pm
Revision on 03/16/16

After having the band damage my insides for 6-1/2 years I cannot recommend it to anyone. However, I'm very happy it's working for you and has worked for others. But the band's failure rate is far too high in my opinion. Best of luck.

keynote34
on 3/26/16 9:29 pm
Revision on 03/16/16

You're definitely the longest bander I've come across. I had mine in for 6-1/2 years until recently. I had a revision this month and it was the best thing I could have ever done. The band did a lot of damage to my stomach. I'm glad you've had success with it. 

Steven354
on 3/28/16 3:25 am

I've ahead my band since 12/08  it wrecked hell with my life for the past two years. Had it deflated six months ago and revolved last month. I've had dialated esophagus, multiple ulcers, gerd, reflux. Regurgitation into lungs and the list goes on. I did lose 130 pds. Gained back 35.  Which revision did you get and was there a major lifestyle change from the band.  I'm at the point I have to make a decision. Thanks

keynote34
on 3/28/16 7:29 pm
Revision on 03/16/16

I'm so sorry to hear how much difficulty you've had with your band. I've had everything except the ulcers. I guess I should be thankful for that. I had the band revised to a gastric bypass. I know a lot of banders who are having their bands revised to a sleeve. I had my band placed in 12/09, so one year after you. That seemed to be the golden age of bands. 

If I were you I would definitely get it removed. It's only going to get worse. My surgeon had to repair a lot of damage that the band did even after it had been deflated for a year. Since you've lost 130 lbs you may not need to having anything else put in. However, if you're afraid of gaining then perhaps the sleeve or the mini-gastric? I would definitely not do anything more drastic than that. The doctors will try to convince you to go with something drastic, but the gastric was as drastic as I wanted to go. 

Best of luck to you.

Flaxie
on 4/2/16 3:12 pm
RNY on 03/15/16

Hi Steven, our stories are exactly the same!  Loss, symptoms and regain, same length of time with the band.  We are twins! Lol.  I had my band out Oct 15 and had a bypass 3 weeks ago.  Smooth sailing, losing steadily, the only problem I had was scar tissue from the band which meant I was two and a half hours longer in surgery than anticipated.  But other than that there have been no issues, its lIke being back before the band started causing problems,  i am back in my happy place.  Best of all I haven't been sick and I can drink water freely.  YAY!  Good luck.

Mell
on 3/28/16 8:23 am

Hi!  I have had mine 9 1/2 years, weight has fluctuated but still have about 100lbs loss.  It is a constant struggle but it can work if you work at it. OH and you have no serious issues with the band like some. I had mine replaced once after it was realized I had a small AP and needed a large.  So far so good that was 5 years ago or so.

Good luck!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

CElizabeth
on 4/1/16 11:01 pm
VSG on 11/10/16

I support you. I've been banded since June 2007

I can honestly say I have had problems, but, I really haven't had anything major enough to have the band removed. It tells me when to stop eating and I'm around 154 lbs. I consider it a sucess for me so far. I pray it will continue to be a success. 

HARRISBURG Pa 

Revision to Gastric Sleeve Nov 10, 2016

Lap band Removed June 2016

Current weight is 172

Surgery Weight was 196

Goal weight aoround 145

Most Active