GERD many years after band

Heather519
on 3/25/16 7:33 am

i was banded in 2003, lost all my weight, then gained it back over the last few years due to a medication I'm taking that causes massive weight gain.

last three years I've developed severe reflux ... At night I choke on it and need to spit up in a cup. I'm propped up, taking Prilosec and band isn't filled. I have a barium swallow next week. Anyone been through this? Did you have to have the band taken out?

Nic M
on 3/25/16 10:04 am

Hi Heather, 

I was also banded in 2003, but had to have mine removed in emergency surgery. I did develop severe reflux while banded (as well as many other serious complications.) It wasn't the sole reason for band removal, but reflux, especially so severe that you cannot sleep without being propped up, is a good reason to have the band out, most definitely. The damage being done to your esophagus by the acid is reason for concern. 

Best of luck with your barium swallow. I hope you get some answers and can make a plan for the future. Wishing you the best. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

sheriberi29
on 3/26/16 2:07 pm - Cleveland, TN

Unfortunately a lot of us have experienced this. I'm currently fighting insurance for a revision . Good luck in finding a solution. Please keep in mind that a barium swallow will not show all problems that a band might be having. You may also need a egd ( scope ) to get a better look ! 

Good luck. And try looking into a revision of you believe that's something you would benefit from

Heather519
on 3/26/16 4:37 pm

When you say revision do you mean getting the band removed or switching it for another surgery like the sleeve or bypass? I would think with severe GERD that the insurance company would cover band removal.

sheriberi29
on 3/26/16 8:46 pm - Cleveland, TN

Yes I mean removing the band and replacing it with a sleeve, bypass, or ds 

VickyDnGA
on 7/9/16 4:40 pm - Tifton, GA

Which revision are you looking at?

sheriberi29
on 7/9/16 4:56 pm - Cleveland, TN

After a big fight with my insurance my band was removed and I was revised to rny gastric bypass on May 3. I'm 9 weeks out and down 22 lbs... It is a lot slower for me than other rny patients but I'll take it. I'm very glad to be completely done with reflux of any kind, and I can eat whatever with no pain ( my healthy diet of dense proteins, sf yogurts and veggies and fruit 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/16 6:20 am
On March 26, 2016 at 11:37 PM Pacific Time, Heather519 wrote:

When you say revision do you mean getting the band removed or switching it for another surgery like the sleeve or bypass? I would think with severe GERD that the insurance company would cover band removal.

Ins does not have to pay if they do not cover bariatrics.  They are not saying you can't have a band removed, but they do have the right to say they simply will not be paying for it.

annie0039
on 4/1/16 8:12 pm

Hi Heather

YES, many ppl that have had Reflux/Gerd with a band. IMHO I believe a lot of times it occurs because the band has slipped and the Dr is clueless.  MINE was when I developed it and then removal confirmed the slip.

It's NOT wise to continue with your band when your reflux is so severe. The night time coughing etc.. will and cause Night time aspiration into the lungs causing Pneumonia,

Any news from the barium Swallow? that too Often shows no band issues, but sometimes it does, like slow esophageal emptying.

I hope your getting Answers!

Heather519
on 4/2/16 5:27 am

The barium swallow is Monday. But I upped my Prilosec to 4 pills a day along with two tums before bed and that has really, really helped. I'm eating smaller dinners too. I also changed to a vegan diet this past Monday so maybe ditching dairy and meat has helped too. Not sure. I honestly don't think it slipped, I think maybe there is scar tissue in there making it tight, but I'll find out next week. Thanks for responding.

Heather

Most Active