Lymphedema in arm resulting from cosmetic brachioplasty

lterrero
on 10/25/05 7:04 am - Bear, DE
I have lost 100 lbs from laproscopic gastric bypass surgery (2/03). I had cosmetic procedures on 1/26/05 to clean up skin. I had an adominoplasty (tummy tuck), rear body lift (butt), and brachioplasty (arm skin removal). In March, I started to notice abnormal swelling in my left hand. I later realized it was in my entire arm as well. It has been diagnosed as Lymphedema, resulting from a simple cosmetic procedure. A procedure to "show off my new arms" has left me wearing an ugly compression sleeve every day. My understanding is that this is a life-long, progressive condition, which is also called Elephantitis. To try to manage it, I must: · Seek therapy for the rest of my life · Wear a compression garment all awake hours of the day · And have extreme care with my skin, nails, airplane travel, housework, etc. This condition is becoming a devastating situation to me as I learn more and more. Everything I have read about the condition states that there is no cure. My surgeon never advised me of this risk. Is there anyone out there that has had this condition resulting from brahioplasty?
NedS.
on 5/28/06 9:34 pm - Southwestern, OH
Hi, I was just browsing and found this board. I have lymphedema after having lymph nodes removed after breast cancer 9 years ago. I was fortunate enough to be able to go to a special medical massage team, who did manual massage to help reroute the lymph from my arm. In my case, it worked, thank God. I had to wrap my arm every night with special bandages and I wore a compression sleeve and hand mitt every day for several months. I have had two instances of infection( the "m" word, mastitis) wherein my arm and left breast swelled and became severely infected. However, with God's grace, it has been 7 years since my last problem. I have to be careful as far as using my arm- no lawn mowing, heavy lifting, raking, etc. Sometimes I have had to use a sling to hold my arm when it swells, but that has been years also. I am not supposed to use a blade razor to shave. They told me I could not have my nails done (acylic), but I have a manicurist who is very careful, so I told them I was not giving up that! Oh, and I have a video tape that I can use to help me do exercises myself to help my arm. My oncologist did not know that they no longer use a pump to get rid of the fluid, but she did have a brochure in her office that alerted me to the massage therapy. Good luck! Sorry this is a year late; you might have already found out about this therapy. Good luck! I guess I won't be having that surgery. I could only have it on my right arm anyway ! Ned
lterrero
on 5/29/06 10:54 pm - Bear, DE
Thanks, Ned, for the information. I, too, went to see a massage therapist. We think that it did not help in my case. But, my case is so mild that he recommended that I do not wear the compression garment, unless there is noticable swelling. My arm and hand are always very midly swollen, which is not that noticeable. It's bothersome and a cosmetic issue - my Plastic Surgoen needs to repair the location of the scar on that arm and reduce the size/shape of the arm some. He won't touch the arm in light of the issue. Since my condition is the result of plastic surgery, and not cancer treatment, I'm hoping that somehow over time the condition will resolve itself. My plastic surgeon seems to think it will, but we can't be sure. I'm a unique case. I would like to see that video tape for the exercises. Can you tell me the name of it? I'll try to find it online somewhere. I am so glad for you that you have found relief and are able to live quite a normal life with the condition. Lorraine
jojododge
on 5/9/09 5:21 am
Lorraine,
  I had  a brachoplasty (arm lift ) on March 20th 2009. As a preventative measure I have been having lymph massage drainage. Last week my right hand started to swell. No one is quite sure what it is yet . Could be over use, could be lymphedema. I am so very upset and I wondered if you have any advice.
Thank you 
Joeleen
patsyl_1
on 9/12/15 12:12 am

Hi. I too had a brachiopplasty done in March of 2012. Immediately after, I started to notice extreme swelling in both my arms and even down to my hands. I wasnt sure what was going on so I went baack to my doctor and he never mentioned anything about my lymph nodes. He did however recommend I have massages to help drain my lymph nodes and put.me in compression sleeve and gloves. I am worried it might be lymphedema. How did you get diagnosed?

Barbarahobsonwhiting
on 4/5/22 8:46 am

I had brachioplasty on Jan 5 2022. Approx 4 weeks after my surgery I noticed my right hand swelling. Several days later, I noticed my forearm swelling. It has slowly progressed from nothing at all to mild swelling and noticeable to me but not others. My PS has put me in a regular sleeve for compression and explained he doesn't know how long this will take to resolve. That is where I am right now. Left on my own to figure this out. My PS also stated he had never seen this (after 25 years?). This is more of a risk factor than Plastic Surgeons are letting on. No where in the Informed Consent was this risk mentioned. Would like a support group for those of us who have Lympodema as a result of a brachioplasty.

lusanders1
on 8/15/10 6:55 am - Chicago, IL
 I received my Brachiplasty in Feb 2010 I had a very unusal experience so my surgeon had to do a revisional surgery on June 28,2010. Now my arm is starting to swell Im afraid it is Lymphedema. What should I do Now?
Most Active