Recent Posts

Sarahlicious
on 3/27/15 4:38 am - Portsmouth, OH
Topic: ***ACTION ALERT*** Lymphedema Treatment Act Re-introduced

It's time to act! HR 1608 - The‪ Lymphedema‬ Treatment Act has been re-introduced to Congress!

So please use the easy system to contact your representative and ask that they co-sponsor the bill. Please share with your family and friends, you don't have to be a patient, anyone can write in on our behalf.

http://www.capwiz.com/lymphedematreatmentact/issues/alert/?alertid=63098021&PROCESS=Take+Action

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

lippyleigh
on 2/11/15 3:54 am
Topic: RE: Welcome! Introduce Yourself

I am Leigh From VA VGBS RNY 2009, Diagnosed with Lipedema and Lymphedema 2003, Ehler's Danlos in 2014

https://www.facebook.com/lippyleighjourney Visit my FB page

http://lippyleigh.blogspot.com/

Sarahlicious
on 2/4/15 10:30 pm - Portsmouth, OH
Topic: Welcome! Introduce Yourself

Hi,

I'm starting this post as a means to revive the conversation here and to create a space where we can openly discuss lymphedema, lipedema, and bariatric surgery. If you've had surgery or if you're considering surgery, I know there are many of us out there, and we can connect here and asked questions and share experiences.

So I'll start...

Sarah, from Ohio, RNY in 2003. Diagnosed with lymphedema in December 2001, and Lipedema in 2004.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Sarahlicious
on 1/2/15 4:29 am, edited 1/2/15 4:30 am - Portsmouth, OH
Topic: Article: LYMPHEDEMA AND OBESITY

Thought this was a good article to share here.

A NEW LOOK AT LYMPHEDEMA AND OBESITY: BREAKING THE CYCLE

http://klosetraining.com/2014/09/02/lymphedema-and-obesity-p art-i/#comment-3124 

Sarahlicious
on 1/2/15 4:28 am - Portsmouth, OH
Topic: RE: Lymphedema Causing Stalled Weight Loss

It can be considered a disability and used to request work from home. Only you would know if your employer would be open to such a request vs it causing more of an issue. I used keep a foot stool under my desk at work, wasn't always comfortable but allowed some time for leg elevation...but not above heart. Do you have a pump to use at home, or are you able to wrap yourself? That would provide. Come garments just maintain vs treat. So if you've experience more swelling you might need pump or massage and wrapping as you said you've had reduce the swelling then wearing the compression garments maintain the reduction. Any surgery can trigger LE, I think some surgeons don't like to acknowledge LE because they think it's a reflection of their skills, which it is not...LE can't happen for various reasons.

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 11/21/14 8:29 am

Yes I had massage, it was a temporary fix.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

LilSleeved
on 11/20/14 4:19 pm

Carbs make my lymphadema much worse.  If I even eat fruit, my legs will swell more.  I can easily gain 10 lbs of fluid over night.  Have you had Lymphatic massage?  It helps a lot.  I thought I was gaining but it was just fluid.  AFTER I had my thighplasty my legs swell even more, but if I watch my carbs, it lessens.  My doctor says, I have "dependent lymphadema" since it's much improved after having my legs elevated each night.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

stersmi1
on 9/30/14 12:45 am
Topic: RE: leg wraps for swollen legs

I currently use a product called 'JUXTAFIT (from CircAid)' for my calves. They are tightened with velcro, made of neoprene (?), and come with a card to measure tightness. Look into them via your doctor or lymphodema person, physical theripist. Good luck.

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 9/19/14 7:38 pm

I wear my full length compression garment 23/7, eat protein I believe in excess, my problem is elevation, I work 8 hours a day at a desk job, only get to elevate my legs while home which I try to get at least 11 hours a day.  It is not considered to be a disability issue in order to stay home more.  I am frustrated to no end.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

TREM4EVA
on 9/19/14 7:06 pm

HI, saw your post this morning.  I have had lymphydema since 2008, ayear after my surgery.Iwore compression garments day and night and day. It was kept under control until this year after new job that kept me sitting for 6 hours a day for 6 months which caused me to become immobile. because of the malabsorption of proteins which would help push the fluid out, I will have to have a revision to absorption of this nutrient, With my experience is to take in more protein and trust me when I say, elevation elavation, elevation.I bought an elevator pillow from dr leonards and elevate my legs at bed time. ELEVATION, PROTEIN, AND COMPRESSION GARMENTS ARE THE KEYS TO THIS SWELLING. Pump those feet and watch the swelling go. please be faithful in protein intake.  Vitacost.com has 28 grams of protein in 2and a half ounce of fruit flavored juice that can add more protein. Mango,berry, strawberry banana arw3 of the flavors they carry. God bless in your success.

Most Active