My post on Main Forum about morbid obesity and bi-polar

sjbob
on 4/21/11 4:37 pm - Willingboro, NJ
 I posted on the Main Forum yesterday about my experiences with morbid obesity, manic-depression, and food addiction.  Someone responded asking if there were a Mental Health Forum and I found this forum and responded to that inquiry.  I think I may have looked at this forum years ago, but I believe it was dealing with psychotic illnesses and I know enough not to discuss them.

Just dealing with manic-depression is enought for me.  I'm lucky to have a strong supporting cast of family and friends.  But, like everyone else who suffers from any form of depression, there are times when everything looks bleak.  I oftentimes find that simply phoning someone who knows me and knows my problem can give me immediate relief.  For example, on rare occasions I feel like I'm in a deep abyss and I'll call my wife at her work.  She can't leave her job and has been through this before.  She'll usually tell me to call my shrink but I usually don't have to once I talk to her and it only take a few sentences.  Of course, I ruined her day but she's able to get past it.  Some other times I'll call my brother.  He suffers from depression without the manic side and we are usually not both feeling very depressed at the same time.  I get to help him and he gets to help me.

By the way, I've been on Fed disability retirement since Aug 1992 while my brother is ables to continue to work.  As a research scientist and teacher ( a professor and expert in his field at a major university) he doesn't want his collegeus to know he has depression.  That's why I don't mention my name here.  It doesn't bother me but I wouldn't want him to suffer because of it.

I'll be coming here on a regular basis--at least for a while- to give and receive support to people who understand me.  Bob
Michellem8991
on 4/25/11 1:06 pm - CT
I know the feelings. I am bi-polar and had my rny about 6 weeks ago. I know when I go into a manic phase I feel really good and I do everyting to the exses. I also know that includes everything food, sex, spending money, gambling it all. Then when I crash I can't move. I have been struggling with med combos its hard to tell what works and what doesn't. I am tired of taking the meds and I know what will happen if I don't. Wish there was an easier way.

sjbob
on 4/26/11 1:02 am - Willingboro, NJ
 Confide you early post-op problems to both your shrink and to your primary doctor.  I've ready that many people (including men) get spikes of estrogen and may have to sit down with someone to discuss what meds to take for that problem.  Many people who don't have any mental problems are put on anti-depressants for a few months following WLS.  It's possible that any hormonal changes you are facing may be affecting your bi-polar condition.  Discuss this twith your shrink.  Since you recently had RNY, you should keep your surgeon's office up to date to see if any additional meds may affect your pouch.
NIXMOMMIE
on 4/26/11 5:51 am - NC
Ok so, last year I decided to go off all meds and was in a manic mode for about 8 months, well it hasgotten me thru the surgery and work and all now, i can't even get up to feed the girl,(10yr old dtr) I feel like absolute crap. I see the psych dr on 13 May. I am sure he will be more than unhappy with me. I posted on the RNY board this afternoon that I am frustrated and stuff, i am sure these feelings are all inter related. Argh!!!
sjbob
on 4/26/11 7:50 am - Willingboro, NJ
 If your depression is really that bad, you should get hold of CONTACT which generally runs through your county.  You may want to see if your county has a deprssion hot line.  Sometimes we just need to be able to talk to somebody.  I'd also see if there is an outpatient low cost or free group that you can go to while waiting to see the psych.  That's only apossible suggestion but I know I don't do well in the groups. 

About 5 years ago I had to go to an outpatient group program while my meds were being changed.  I had thought of suicide but had never attempted it.  Half the people in this group had attempted it and many of them had bee inpatients at mental facilities.  I told my wife I'd rather be dead than go through that experience again.  However, the positive  part of the whole ordeal is that I met with a shrink at least once a week and eveything was fine with 6 weeks.

Right now, May 13 seems like a long time to me.  If you can't get anything sooner, you may want to call the shrink's office and tell them just how bad you are.  This is not a time to be calm and complacent.  I'm not advocating that you yell at the people in the office but let them know how serious your condition.is.  They may be able to give you hints on what to do in the meantime.  They'll probably have the shrink call you back just to talk to you a little.
Patricia R.
on 4/26/11 11:42 am - Perry, MI
Did you go off your meds under medical supervision?  That is so dangerous.  I worked in a psychiatric hospital and always had bipolar patients who would go off their meds and completely go off the hook.  I am bipolar, and just lowering my dose sent me on an alcoholic/drug binge that put me in the hospital and then rehab.

Dangerous stuff.

As for off the wall emotions post-op.  Totally normal.  Rapid weight loss causes the release of hormones from the fatty tissue.  Those  hormones made me crazy when I was post-op. 

Talk to your psychiatrist about adjusting your meds to help you get through this time.  Also, breathing exercises can help.  Make sure you are drinking your water, and getting your protein in.  Journal, talk about your feelings, make phone calls to your support network.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

NIXMOMMIE
on 4/26/11 11:45 am - NC
Of course not under medical supervision.  I am typical bi-polar.  I was in a manic phase that lasted for a long time and felt euphoric, not it is coming to a screeching halt just at the time that I have to go thru the surgery and everything that goes with it.  I am feeling a tad bit better tonight after a great bath and pork chops for dinner.

Patricia R.
on 4/26/11 12:53 pm - Perry, MI
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 4/26/11 12:56 pm - Perry, MI
I typed a great reply, and it disappeared.  Darn!!!!! 

Anyway, if you ever need someone to talk to, I am here.  I am an experienced Mom and Grandmom, and retired now, so I can be there if you ever need.  [email protected]

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

dreakixxes
on 7/20/11 11:08 am - Raymond, NH
RNY on 03/05/12
I have known Im Bi-Polar for about 5 years now. When i was PG with my son i started to feel really down and hated the world. The doctors told me it depression and gave me pills. It worked for awhile. After having him things didnt seem to get any better. After seeing many doctors and everyone telling me it was the baby blues, I found a doctor that asked me about my past. After a long talk, she said the word I didnt want to hear. "I think your bipolar!"
Its been a VERY long road. With many lows and a few highs.
I have always been over weight. And had to deal with that all my life. But it came harder after them putting me on meds. I gained alot of weigh and couldnt get it off. My mom had bypass about 10 years ago and it seem to work for her. I have been thinking about it for years and toke the jump about 6 months ago.
About 4 months ago we got me out of a very low. It toke almost a year. I felt normal for sometime. something i havent felt for a very long time. But now i have gone manic again. Thats what state im in now. Some think its the stress of having to loss the weight preop..some think its me coming off birth control.... and yet think its cause i have lost some weight and now the meds need fixed.  We have chagned my meds and see if that works. As you can see from what i have writed Im all over the place.
It would be nice to have people to talk to that are dealing with the same things. Who have bipolar and doing WLS.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 688 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 679 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 896 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1596 views