beginning the journey with long standing depression

batman-kitty
on 6/23/11 10:06 pm - Stuyvesant, NY
I have just started the WLS journey about a month ago.  I just can't seem to get motivated enough to continue with what I have to do to get the surgery.  I don't feel like doing anything -- household chores, going to work -- I only want to either sleep, eat, or be on the computer.  I'm sad and anxious a lot of the time.  I've been on antidepressants with some success; however, their effectiveness is limited and when I'm on them, my brain is in a fog.  Not too long ago I weaned myself (with the help of my NP) off of Abilify & Wellbutrin and I'm now only taking Lamictal.  (The brain fog was too much.  I temporarily felt better being off of them). Maybe because of the long-standing stress I've been under the past few years, that's what was causing the depression.  Maybe I just can't cope with the stress that life brings in general.   I'm afraid of trying other antidepressants because of the brain fog.  I'm just not in a good place.
Patricia R.
on 6/24/11 12:32 pm - Perry, MI
I am sorry to hear you are struggling.  I have been there.  There are antidepressants that do not make you foggy.  Go to your psychiatrist and discuss your options.  I am on Cymbalta and am doing well with it.  I have done well with others as well.  Zoloft is one, and Lexapro.  It was probably the Abilify that gave you the foggy feelings. 

Are you in psychotherapy?  That would help if you aren't.  Since you are a pre-op patient, you will learn a lot in therapy about coping skills and distorted thinking that causes us to feel the depression. 

In the meantime, set yourself baby step goals.  Start with something small, like taking a short walk once a day, and washing the dishes each day.  Taking the walk will help stimulate the endorphins in the brain, which are feel good hormones. 

Ask your psychiatrist for a recommendation for psychotherapy, if you are not already in therapy.  Also, if you have not gotten your psych meds from a psychiatrist, I recommend seeing one.  They are more familiar with the side effects of all the psych meds, and can help you titrate them to the appropriate levels.  Also, they can give you the right combination of meds for your symptoms.  I have been seeing my psych doc for over 20 years, off and on.  There was a time when I saw a different psychiatrist due to insurance. 

My combination of meds are Cymbalta for depression, Geodon for my bipolar mania, and Buspar for anxiety.  I have not had that foggy feeling since being on this combination. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

morgans
on 1/18/12 5:44 am
VSG on 06/18/12
I've been on Zoloft for chronic, clinical depression and severe PMDD for most of 20 years. We added Wellbutrin in to help with the sex drive thing, but it made me rage, so I stopped.

Baby steps. And remember that this moment will pass. Turn off the computer and read a book, park in a different place at work. Go to a museum. Mix your life up a bit. And definitely try some other anti-depressants. There's enough of them out there that you should not have to suffer.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 693 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 686 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 902 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1601 views