Sex/Love Addiction...

jenblove
on 11/28/11 1:03 pm - NC
 Would rather post this anonymously, but really could use some support.  I started counseling in Nov 2009 for what was then diagnosed as "sex/love addiction" after engaging in a few inappropriate relationships.  It was more about the attention...feeling desirable.  I would actually get a "high" from the flirtations, text messages, phone calls, emails, etc.  If I didn't hear from the person, I would get really depressed.  I had been doing really well for the past 12 months and knew after having the RnY surgery I may have problems again after receiving more attention from men after losing weight, so I started going to my counselor again pre-surgery.  I haven't been back since the surgery in September and I'm already finding myself falling into those old patterns.  I'm embarrassed to go back bec/ I thought I had everything under control pre-surgery...I worry about the counselor being disappointed in me, etc.  Crazy, I know!   Does anyone else on here suffer from this kind of behavior?  If you do, you can message me if you don't want to post a reply...Thanks....
Paul11011
on 11/29/11 4:11 am
You should never feel concerned about your counselor being disappointed in you coming back for more support.  Think of it as providing job security for them.  :)  It's great that you realized you have starting doing things which may lead you down a path which you do not want to go.  Part of this WLS journey is realizing there are limitations to what we can do on our own and knowing that there are ways to get the support we need.  Conratulations on being able to identify your limitations. 
VSG 1-10-2011 Dr. Randal Baker.   www.grandhealthpartners.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/11 8:28 am - NY
In addition to providing job security for the therapist, therapists are trained to be non-judgmental.

Even more important to remember is that you should never be embarrassed about taking action to solve a problem - you should be proud of yourself for facing up to it!

wenklebe
on 1/10/12 10:29 pm - WI
I know im late replying to your post, but I really dont get on the site much.  FYI... An addiction, defined by the DSMIV requires the ingestion of a substance.  Other than that it is an impulsive behavior.  AND yet they do not consider food a substance?  
Anyways, point of fact to your post, you mentioned therapy, have you looked into treatment for your eating disorder/behaviors?  Perhaps you should focus on those as sexual impulsivity (addiction?) tends to run side by side with a lot of eating disorders along with body dysmorphic disorder.  Although not actually a diagnosed disorder I think a lot of us obese persons have something along the lines of BDD where we do not actually perceive our true size until we are forced to accept the reality of it... That is how we get to 300+ pounds, because we convince ourselves that 200 is normal, then 225, then 250 etc...
I agree with you that you are enjoying the thrill of the chase, with you being the bait... It is an exciting life post op that all of a sudden you are the attractive one and you get attention.  We all experience that as having been the ugly fat one that hid in the corner, always feeling not good enough because of our weight.  We are proud of our accomplishments and want to be acknowledged for it... My advice...put your self on a pedistal.... let them look but dont touch if youre concerned... it still gives you the same feelings of the thrill of being admired... but at the same time you further validate your own self image because you are better than they are and therefore they are not worthy of you...
morgans
on 1/18/12 5:50 am
VSG on 06/18/12
There is also a 12-step program for sex/love addicts and I have friends who found meetings and counseling to be the best combination. I was in a different branch of the 12-step family and for feeling connected and supported nothing beats that.

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/12 4:28 pm
 Hi,
Keep your self busy. It will help you a lot. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 693 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 686 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 902 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1601 views