Smudge Perfection

jessicalovegold
on 3/26/12 2:43 pm
I am trying to adjust my 0 to 60mph, all or nothing, black or white kind of thinking.  I find it really hard, and I did not realize how much perfectionism is part of my life.  I am starting to exercise, and in my head I am thinking Iron Man and marathon.  That is a ridiculous amount of pressure to put on myself when I have been nearly house bound for years.  My sister says to make my goal consistent exercise 3x a week.  I am flummoxed by the simplicity of the goal.  Yet, she is probably right, because I have never consistently exercised.  I have gone 2 weeks at best, two days at 3 hours a day at most.  I always give up, usually within a few days of starting.  My expectations were to high to even contemplate, and I ran away from such monumental plans.  So I am going to try it, 3 times a week, for three months, let that be my one and only exercise goal and expectation.  My brain is howling at me to try for more, make the Olympics, be the best, the gold ring.  That type of thinking is my problem.  That type of thinking immobilizes me.  It makes it impossible for me to accomplish any task.  It sets me up, really I am setting myself up, to fail.  So try  something different and maybe get different results.  Try instead to keep something going long term.  Be comfortable with less than maximum effort, less than perfection.  We shall see ......... 
Hislady
on 3/28/12 10:32 am - Vancouver, WA
Yep just take it one day at a time and remember that NO ONE is perfect so you shouldn't expect it either. Some use that all or nothing attitudes to sabatoge their hard work so just make sure to constantly check for whether your goal is reasonable or your brain telling you lies. Best of luck to you and if you trip just get back up and try again!
boxermom
on 4/16/12 11:07 pm - MI
dear Jessica,

how are you coming along with your 3x per wk for 3 months goal?  That seems very realistic to me and very acceptable for the maintenance period of your weight loss. Just as long as you avoid carbs and obey the 'rules' of your tools.

I wonder why you have the thoughts of all or nothing?  have you thought about maybe seeing a counselor about this?  just curious.

boxermom

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 693 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 686 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 902 views
What triggers your anxiety