Fad diets Fail

btm61
on 11/10/18 7:36 am

So while you sit here in judgement of me and how I am sure to fail because you did, I'm supposed to wait 8-10 years (because I haven't reached my goals yet) before I can defend myself? Does that just about sum it up? By all means Holly, if you are one of those people *****quire me to meet your standards then by all means quit following my threads immediately, I don't have time for it. I am here to help those who are in need of support and encouragement, and clearly that isn't you. I also don't understand your participation in this particular forum since it' s supposed to be about non-surgical issues.

As I said before I am happy for your your continued victories, but I have a close friend who had surgery 5 years ago and she lost a bunch of weight right away, about 80 pounds in just a handful of weeks, as I recall. I remember her telling me that she weighed about 300 pounds at the time of her surgery. I ran into her this past summer, and she now weighs 450 if not 500 pounds, and I have many friends who have had the exact same experience. Why? Because they used the surgery as a crutch and they NEVER took the time to develop healthy attitudes toward eating and exercise. I know I would also be one of those people so I made the conscious decision to go the non-surgical route, and for those like me I am here to offer help with the knowledge I have been given by medical professionals, instead of so-called "experts" that appear on these celebrity shows or in the lifestyle magazines. Most of them are full of crap and are actually making it harder for people to lose weight.

hollykim
on 11/10/18 6:31 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 10, 2018 at 3:36 PM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

So while you sit here in judgement of me and how I am sure to fail because you did, I'm supposed to wait 8-10 years (because I haven't reached my goals yet) before I can defend myself? Does that just about sum it up? By all means Holly, if you are one of those people *****quire me to meet your standards then by all means quit following my threads immediately, I don't have time for it. I am here to help those who are in need of support and encouragement, and clearly that isn't you. I also don't understand your participation in this particular forum since it' s supposed to be about non-surgical issues.

As I said before I am happy for your your continued victories, but I have a close friend who had surgery 5 years ago and she lost a bunch of weight right away, about 80 pounds in just a handful of weeks, as I recall. I remember her telling me that she weighed about 300 pounds at the time of her surgery. I ran into her this past summer, and she now weighs 450 if not 500 pounds, and I have many friends who have had the exact same experience. Why? Because they used the surgery as a crutch and they NEVER took the time to develop healthy attitudes toward eating and exercise. I know I would also be one of those people so I made the conscious decision to go the non-surgical route, and for those like me I am here to offer help with the knowledge I have been given by medical professionals, instead of so-called "experts" that appear on these celebrity shows or in the lifestyle magazines. Most of them are full of crap and are actually making it harder for people to lose weight.

I just answered the question you asked me. Statistics show us that only 5% of ppl who lose weight without surgery maintain the loss.

And just so you know,I am allowed to post on any thread on any forum on this board. You don't make the rules.

I hope you are as successful as you want to be, it is no skin off my nose one way or the other.

Did you happen to notice how dead this forum is? There just aren't that many ppl being successful at non wls methods.

Of course ppl can regain,after wls,but more do not than do. Just the opposite of ppl who lose with Non surgical methods.

You know two personally who gained. I see thousands on this board every day who have not gained.

why are you so defensive that I want to watch your progress? We all watch and applaud everyone's successes and sympathizw when they are less successful on the other forums.why not on this one?

btm61
on 11/10/18 8:16 pm

Holly the people you are referring to when you say they can't keep the weight off include those who try the :flavor of the day" diet like Weigh****chers or Nutrisystem or whatever for profit weight loss plan ios out there. In fact if you were to study the nutrition information on their prepared meals you can buy, you would discover that they are designed for weight gain, not loss. I don't do any of that. I work with a 5-person medical team that specializes in working with obese people. Included in that team is an LPN with concentrations in the psychology of weight loss, a nutritionist with a MS degree in the discipline, and a trainer with a college degree in Kinesiology and two professional training certifications. You won't find these people at your local Weigh****chers meeting or at the local gym. You also won't find them on Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray. One more thing Holly, the percentage of folks keepping the weight off after 5 years is several times HIGHER than your report

btm61
on 11/11/18 9:53 am

Holly, I found a study that concluded in 2015 by Stanford that followed a number of people who participated in the type of program that I participate in. Each of these folks lost more than 100 pounds to get to their ideal weight range and then followed these folks for 5 years and at the end of that time 62% of those had kept the weight off.

hollykim
on 11/11/18 12:24 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 11, 2018 at 5:53 PM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Holly, I found a study that concluded in 2015 by Stanford that followed a number of people who participated in the type of program that I participate in. Each of these folks lost more than 100 pounds to get to their ideal weight range and then followed these folks for 5 years and at the end of that time 62% of those had kept the weight off.

great,I hope you become a statistic in that 62% success rate. So,why don't you want me to follow your progress?

PrivateCitizen
on 12/22/18 10:21 pm

always post the link or how to find a reference like that, it helps those who want to real the full study for themselves. thanks

btm61
on 12/23/18 7:39 am

Private, I assume since you are on the internet you can find the same research I did. I'm not in the habit of defending myself from those who "know". How about you find a serious study that refutes my claims and show me that link? The study of which I spoke measured folks who were in programs exactly like the one I am in; consistent and regular monitoring of both physical and psychological progress, regular appointments with a nutritionist, and regular and consistent exercise programs by a professionally educated physiologist. I too have used many differing programs over the years and not only not lost weight, but actually gained weight. Now that I am on this program I am on I have experienced serious weight loss. Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong, but the numbers and my experience won't support you at all.

PrivateCitizen
on 12/23/18 11:55 am

I am always glad to offer the link to the study I refer to, otherwise I force the person to search by random guessing of key words. with millions of studies on pubmed.gov alone it can be impossible. And thousands of medical and weight loss studies and reports and nutrition are in magazines, and online.

Many people are genuinely wanting information to help them, It is respect for the OP that causes someone, like me, to ask instead of being stuck with fruitless searching. I always search on my own quickly because "google' is my friend, after all, an I enjoy turning up links to other studies of interest but then I ask when that fails.

For instance, the ridiculous TV 'shaming' FAD diet that forced people to puke, and cry, and humble themselves on Biggest Loser has been studied. 6 years later ALL but one has regained all their weight. and more. This people had intense supervision, support, encouragement, free gym equipment, were given awards like trips to Hawaii...so how did they all regain 100 pounds? With the world and their family and entire town knowing their success, and rooting for them? was that not enough to keep them going? not even!

I highly recommend reading this excellent, fact finding study of why they were DOOMED. And it is not laziness, or lack of willpower (some kept at 2-3 hrs of exercise a day)

https://idmprogram.com/the-biggest-loser-diet-fasting22/

btm61
on 12/23/18 1:52 pm

Private,

The first thing you are going to have to get over is that there is nothing that could be called "reality" in the "Reality TV" genre, it simply does not exist. Second, any diet that includes meal skipping (or fasting. if you prefer) or meal replacement shakes, is also doomed to fail. Why? What happens when you achieve your weight goal and start eating three meals per day? I'm not an MD but I can answer that question. So what you have done is taken the information gathered by a "team" that believes fasting is THE way to lose weight and call all other non-fasting programs failures. Again, I don't have a PhD but even I can tell what's going on there. Just make sure you ante up.

I don't have anyone yelling at me to push harder, I do that myself. Just last week I was asked what my "secret" was, and I replied that there was no secret, it's just a matter of making the numbers work in my favor and that's what I do. Sure I have days where I blow it, just like everyone else, but then I get back on the horse and start over again. Each day, each hour, each minute that I use those numbers in my favor, get's me closer to my goal, and you and everyone else on this forum who says I won't do it, won't deter me. I wish you nothing but the best on your journey.

hollykim
on 11/11/18 12:23 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 11, 2018 at 4:16 AM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Holly the people you are referring to when you say they can't keep the weight off include those who try the :flavor of the day" diet like Weigh****chers or Nutrisystem or whatever for profit weight loss plan ios out there. In fact if you were to study the nutrition information on their prepared meals you can buy, you would discover that they are designed for weight gain, not loss. I don't do any of that. I work with a 5-person medical team that specializes in working with obese people. Included in that team is an LPN with concentrations in the psychology of weight loss, a nutritionist with a MS degree in the discipline, and a trainer with a college degree in Kinesiology and two professional training certifications. You won't find these people at your local Weigh****chers meeting or at the local gym. You also won't find them on Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray. One more thing Holly, the percentage of folks keepping the weight off after 5 years is several times HIGHER than your report

so you aren't paying for the expertise of your team?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 337 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 465 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 674 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 886 views