Exercise Question

evelynmary
on 4/19/11 9:30 pm - Barrie, Canada
I am two weeks out from surgery today.  So far FANTASTIC.  I have not had any issues and my new pouch is behaving perfectly.

Other than walking, what have others done at this stage for exercise.  I would especially like to target my abdomen area. I feel like I can but do not want to do anything to upset my pouch.

Your experiences would be appreciated
Thanks
Lori

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/19/11 9:40 pm - Windsor, Canada
You have very limited options right now only 2 weeks out.

Here's your option:  WALK.
You can move into bigger things later but usually aren't cleared for the gym for many weeks
because you still need to heal/recover from surgery. 

Take it easy! You've just had major abdominal surgery.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

ToNewBeginnings
on 4/19/11 9:53 pm
You may feel great but your insides need a minimum of six weeks to recover. I wouldn't even think about targeting your abs until you speak with your Dr.'s.
jdance
on 4/20/11 12:39 am - Canada
I wasn't allowed to go back to curves for 2 months and then i had to start gingerly and work up to full speed by 6 months. Same as the other posts, take it easy, you might feel fine but your insides are like a baby (brand new) and need to be treated as such.

Congrats.

J

Mary A.
on 4/20/11 12:58 am
You may feel perfectly fine,  and I commend you for wanting to get back into exercise..but yoga, stretching and any weight bearing exercises are not favourable at this early on.

It's not about upsetting your puch, but rather the layers of your body.  Your incision and your innards are still healing and they w ill be that way for at least 2 months....

remember to have this surgery your surgeon has cut through (7) LAYERS of skin, fat, muscle**** & tissue...and that will take at least 2 months before you should place any emphasis on that area

do not even pull laundry out of the washing machine, while you may not think something so simple could cause pain/damage....from personal experience I will tell you IT CAN.

This surgery was explained to me, much like a hysterectomy and that is restricted to lifting no more than 10lbs for a minimum of 6 weeks and no vaccuming or vigorous type movements

...so do yourself a favour and be a bit more patient, your body will be thankful

(I copied the following from another site), hope that's okay

16 Months After Surgery

You should resume an exercise regimen two to three weeks after bariatric surgery. The goal is to increase range of motion so you can take off your shoes, for example, and pick things up off the ground. Strength-training exercises are also important because as you lose weight you will lose muscle. You should work toward 30 minutes of continuous exercise three to five days per week by the time six months have passed. Sample exercises during this stage:

• Walking, biking, or swimming exercises for aerobic fitness.
  • Resistance training with dumbbells, weight bands, or gym machines to build muscle mass.

6–12 Months After Surgery

A year after gastric bypass, you should be able to perform 45 minutes of exercise at least four times a week. Salmon recommends varying workouts so your body is constantly challenged. Strengthening the stomach muscles is also important because it helps improve your posture, which will change as you lose more weight. Some sample exercises:

• Yoga, dancing, aerobics, or kickboxing for 45 minutes four times a week.
  • Resistance training using dumbbells while sitting on a balance ball, which helps to strengthen the abdominal muscles.  

1 Year–Plus After Surgery (Long-term Maintenance)

Now that more than a year has passed since surgery, you've probably lost more than 100 pounds. Such a drastic change can leave many patients thinking that they no longer need to exercise, but "we tell patients that exercise is not an option, it's a must," Salmon says. At this stage the recommendation is the same as that for the general population: 45 minutes of exercise at least four days per week. Sample exercises:

• Interval training on a treadmill, varying speed and incline, for 45 minutes.
  • Hiking, running, or bicycling — take your exercise outdoors and be proud of your new body and how good it feels to be physically fit.

evelynmary
on 4/20/11 3:21 am - Barrie, Canada
Thanks everyone. That is what I thought as well but it always helps hearing it from others as well. I definitely do not want to do something because I now feel great only to harm myself.
Most Active
Recent Topics