For the first time

highlandbear
on 4/23/11 10:39 pm - Canada
I can say I am tired of living with feeling sick all the time. I had my surgery Nov 11 2009 and since than I have not been well. I eat or drink and feel sick. They took out my gallbladder thinking that would cure it.  It did for awhile and than it slowly started to creep back into my life. Eat dinner and would feel sick. I think oh must be something I ate. Well a few weeks ago ended up in hospital for 6 days and find out I have candy cane syndrome. It is not pleasant and I know I am going to have a fight on my hands to get it fixed.  I am tired though of feeling so rotten. The last 2 days right after breakfast it hits me. I just want to hang my head over the toilet and stay there for the rest of the day.  It is so hard to do things when you feel like this.  I have stayed positive through out this. I think of the things I could not do before the operation and think of the things I can do now and I am grateful most days but today is just a bad day for me. It is Easter and Easter means alot to me.  I have things to do at church and have grand kids coming over and I sit here just wanting to go back to bed. I have the ham ready for the oven and just looking at it makes me sick.  Is it asking to much to have just one one good day where I could eat and not be sick. It is rough when it starts with breakfast because than I know I am in for a rough one. It means tha****er and tea will be hard to get in because they will make me feel sick also. I sit here with tears in my eyes feeling sorry for myself and maybe I am wrong for feeling sorry for myself but I usually don't  and today I am and I going to tell myself it is OK.  I need  to give myself permission to be weak. I stay strong so everyone around me will not worry. Well I guess today it my breaking point. I will allow myself this day to feel sorry and bru**** off and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. If not I will put the smile on my face so everyone thinks that I am ok. Just tired of living like this.
Jennifer D.
on 4/23/11 11:02 pm
You have grand kids coming over today. Pick yourself up right now and allow yourself to feel bad tomorrow. I lived with the Candy Cane configuration for 8 years so I know how you feel. I eventually developed soft food syndrome to deal with it - one of the reasons I gained back all my weight. Eat soft today so you don't feel so bad. My Candy Cane configuration was one of the reasons that OHIP allowed me my revision. What are you doing to deal with this as far as getting it surgically fixed?
highlandbear
on 4/24/11 2:34 am - Canada

I am staying away from food right now and will eat very small and dinner. They will be leaving within an hour or so after dinner so if I am not well I can cover it and they will not know. They have not yet seen me sick. I will not allow them.  I am hoping to see the surgeon May 18 and maybe have some answers than. I say hope because a few weeks ago I was suppose to see surgeon and i just got an intern doc. that was not a help.  Just a bad day for me but i will be good when kids come

Jennifer D.
on 4/24/11 7:01 am
I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic, but I think you made the right choice to stay strong for them today. I am glad you're seeing the surgeon next month, hopefully this will get taken care of. It's crazy to have to adapt to such a condition. I had no clue what it was for so long, always thought it was just part of the surgery or my fault. Glad you know. Hope your day went as well as it could.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/11 11:06 pm - Guelph, Canada
 sorry you are not feeling well... but whats candy cane syndrome? 
Jennifer D.
on 4/23/11 11:12 pm, edited 4/23/11 11:16 pm
It's a configuration with the RNY also called Candy Cane Roux Syndrome. It happens when the limb that is used to connect to the stoma goes past the stoma more than an inch so it hangs down the opposite way that food is supposed to flow. When you eat, food goes that way and sits there until there is enougn to over flow it down the right way. It makes you feel sick every time you eat. It's worse when you eat solids - painful sometimes and makes you vomit.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
laura S.
on 4/23/11 11:22 pm - London, Canada
I'm so sorry to hear you are having a difficult time with this.  I hope they will get back in there and fix it right away now that they finally know what the problem is.  You deserve a day to just wallow if that is what you feel you need.  Unfortunately today won't be it with the kids coming, but as soon as they leave, let the wallowing begin!  Then... try to perk yourself back up and keep on looking on the bright side and make the doctors fix you!!!  Stand your ground and don't let them put you off.

*hugs*

Laura

highlandbear
on 4/24/11 2:38 am - Canada
Thanks for allowing me to wallow. I will be ok when kids come. They bring a smile to my face and maybe today is the day I really need them around me. I am usually strong and I know tomorrow I will lace up my shoes and go for a run and try and forget how sick I feel. I know I have a fight ahead of me to get this fixed. Thanks for the hugs
missingmanny
on 4/23/11 11:34 pm - Canada
So sorry...Please get this fixed....

HW 268  SW 261  CW 166GW 170 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com    

sueberman
on 4/24/11 12:32 am
I'm so sorry you're feeling so rotten.  I think this is the first time I've heard of candy cane syndrome and it sounds right nasty.  I went thru bad stomach problems before surgery and they are so much better now, but there are days so I know how you feel.  I hope you get this taken care of soon so you can get on with our life in a normal way.

Cheers
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Most Active
Recent Topics