Fruits for the Summer

Mary A.
on 6/3/11 1:26 am
Just curious.....what types of fruits and desserts do people on this board make/use for summer?

I am particularly interested in fresh fruits that come from Ontario.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Lisa_Toronto
on 6/3/11 1:53 am - Toronto, Canada
I made a lovely rhubarb crisp last weekend with fresh rhubarb.  I use Whey Low brand sweetener as a substitute for sugars in all my recipes.  Soon it will be fresh strawberries in season (next week?) and they don't need much dressing up.

The foodland Ontario site shows what's in season and has lots of recipes - the baking recipes have to be modified for us of course.

http://www.foodland.gov.on.ca/english/recipes.html

weight loss includes 25 lbs before optifast         
(deactivated member)
on 6/3/11 1:55 am - Toronto, Canada
I love fresh fruit desserts and I get a lot of recipes from the Splenda site and from this site: www.eatbetteramerica.com  - they have "healthified" recipes - I just substitute the sugar for Splenda.
highlandbear
on 6/3/11 2:27 am - Canada
I love fruit salad in the summer. It is not fancy easy to do and so good.
northernlight
on 6/3/11 4:06 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Mary,
Here's an easy one I make a lot in the summer using our fresh Ontario berries:
I take a pint of fresh strawberries, rasperries or blackberries (or mix them together) & mash them up well in a bowl with about 1/3 cup of Splenda. Once they're mashed, stir in a large container (about 4 or 5 cups) of fat-free Vanilla yogurt. Pour the yogurt/berry mixture into individual serving dishes & freeze. Great on a hot day when you're craving something like ice cream. You can change the taste by using different flavours of yogurt.

Deb

irol770
on 6/3/11 5:06 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
When I was a kid my grandmother used to make this desert (which I've since learned that people use on top of ice cream).  It was simply sliced rhubarb, boiled with sugar and I LOVED it.  It is one of my favourite things, but I haven't had it in many years.  I never made it myself...not sure why and my grandmother has been gone for a few years now and wasn't able to cook for several years before that.

Anyway, I have a rhubarb plant in my back yard that I cut every year, but never use.  Last week I decided to make the desert.  I sliced the rhubard, boiled it in just enough water to cover it and instead of sugar I added stevia. Then I put it in the fridge to cool. It turned out perfectly.  It is just as I remembered and makes me happy just to eat it because it brings back memories.  And it tastes good!  I don't use it as a topping...just eat it with a spoon like that. 

When we were kids we used to call it rhubarb soup.
Glitter Text Generator

StevesGal
on 6/3/11 6:23 am - Hamilton, Canada
I love to eat raw rubarb.  I just go out into my mom's garden, break a stick off, wa**** up and chew away.  Tart as anything, but really good!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

twins4meplus1
on 6/3/11 11:40 am - St Thomas, Canada
Freeze ripe bananas. When frozen blitz them in a blender, magic bullet, or food processor until very smooth. This is just like soft serve banana ice cream.

For a real treat my whole family loves. Mix equal parts of Strawberry Yogurt (I like Source) with Low fat Cool Whip. Use this as a dip for fresh fruit. It is great with berries, melon, all kinds of fruit. You can change the type of fruits or the flavour of yogurt.

The Splenda web site has lots of recipes that are very good.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

ericaFG
on 6/3/11 11:52 am - Cambridge, Canada
A friend of mine just made jam with splenda.  I have a ton of cherries pitted and frozen from last year and the tree is starting a new batch!  So I'm going to try some cherry jelly on Sunday!  I bought pure peanut "butter" at Picards last week (really just peanuts mashed up), and I think that that, with some of my SF jelly on a WW engligh muffin would just be about the best "desert" ever!!
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Pat-60
on 6/3/11 2:13 pm
Stew rhubarb, when soft add sliced strawberries and a box of sugar free strawberry jello.  Continue to simmer until soft, add sweetener to suit your taste.  This is really good over fruit, on toast, ice cream, cake, or porridge.  You can have it warmed up or cold.
Nov 29/10   Referred to St Josephs Hamilton
Dec 6/10    Orientation
Mar 9/11     Nurse, Dietician & Social Worker
Mar 31/11   Internest
May 26/11  Surgeon & pre-surgery class
JULY 11/11  VSG, hernia repair by  Dr Mehran Anvari
Most Active
Recent Topics