RE: Requesting a File Transfer...?

twill1010
on 9/14/11 1:00 am
Just a little update... I called Ottawa Hospital today to have my file transfered to Humber. I was told that the wait is just about the same, and just for the transfer it would take a few weeks. I would then have to start the process all over again... i then asked how long would it take for my first appt with Ottawa if I was to keep everything as is... they said 4 months no longer.... what do I do... wait it out.... or transfer and hope the wait isn't as long... I told her to keep it as it is, and I will think more about it.
Eileen C.
on 9/14/11 1:18 am - Cornwall, Canada
Hi

I would call back and ask to be put on a "cancellation list" to see if that would speed up the process,

not saying it will but if you are flexible, then you may be able to be fit into another time slot and

process faster thru the system, it is worth a try if you hadn't already been put on the cancellation list

Take care and good luck, I realy don't have any idea of a timeframe for either weight loss centres

Eileen
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
(deactivated member)
on 9/14/11 2:22 am - Canada
Id play it safe if I were you. I would just remain with Ottawa. As I mentioned in your other thread ive experienced both hospitals and Ottawa is far superior and has a MUCH better after care program. Keep in mind as well that this entire process is a bit of a clusterfu*k and messing with the flow of things by transferring could potentially end up making more of a mess. Crazier things have happened.

Best of luck
Little_LuLu
on 9/14/11 2:30 am - London, Canada
I had my file transferred from Guelph to HRRH and was told the same thing.  However, I decided that HRRH was still going to be faster.  I called the registry's office once a week to see if they had transferred my file...that process probably took 3 weeks, by early June 2011 HRRH accepted the transfer. I was then scheduled for the information/orientation class 2 weeks later.  My surgery date is Sept 27, 2011.....a total of 3 months beginning to end.

Family doctor referral to Registry March 2011, Guelph received referral April 8, 2011, Requested transfer to HRRH June 10, 2011, Transfer approved June 20, 2011, Information Session June 27, 2011, Surgeon Meeting July 12, 2011, Gastric By-pass class August 5, 2011, Dietician, Social Worker August 8, 2011, 2nd Surgeon Appt and PATTS September 12, 2011, SURGERY September 27, 2011        
twill1010
on 9/14/11 2:43 am
That is amazing. That gives me some kind of hope that if I do go through with the transfer that it would be like your timeline. Ottawa is approx a 4 hour car ride there and back and about $100 in gas... its insane. I opted to have the surgery at humber, so I would also have to put out for a hotel for 3 days. It just makes sense for me to transfer, its closer, and cheaper. Good luck with everything!! Do they have you on optifast now?
Little_LuLu
on 9/14/11 3:55 am - London, Canada
Yes, I started Opti-fast on monday.....so far so good.  However, I'm so glad that I only have to do 2 weeks. 

I'm from London, so Guelph was definitely closer for me and I will have to stay in a hotel for a few days after surgery but I'm glad that I transfer....would do it again in a second.

My surgery will be at St. Joseph's Health Centre in Toronto with Dr. Sullivan.  All of the appointments were at HRRH except the second meeting with the surgeon and the pre-admission tests.

Family doctor referral to Registry March 2011, Guelph received referral April 8, 2011, Requested transfer to HRRH June 10, 2011, Transfer approved June 20, 2011, Information Session June 27, 2011, Surgeon Meeting July 12, 2011, Gastric By-pass class August 5, 2011, Dietician, Social Worker August 8, 2011, 2nd Surgeon Appt and PATTS September 12, 2011, SURGERY September 27, 2011        
twill1010
on 9/14/11 8:50 am
Good Luck with everything! Be sure to update me on everything and how you are doing. So excited for you to start your journey! 
twill1010
on 9/14/11 2:39 am
My worst fear is screwing things up, and getting lost in the system. I am with Ottawa to get the surgery but when I went into the info session we were asked if we would like to have the surgery at Humber, with I opted for, thinking that it would be a quicker process. I dont have any comorbitites, just a very high BMI, i dont smoke, or drink... I take vitamins... I was told that takes off a couple months as well.
happypants
on 9/14/11 2:41 am - Ottawa, Canada
I felt the same way you did while i was waiting for surgery. If I was standing in your shoes right now I would wait, you have come this far. Ottawa is a very good hospital and the after care through the WMC is fabulous. Do you really want to travel to another hospital at the expense of hotel bill etc not to mention that traveling home for hours wouldn't be exactly pleasant after surgery.

Even if the wait time is one year from start to finish take this opportunity to educate yourself the best you can on your new life. In terms of the rest of your life a year is a very short time to wait. I know that as people when you want something we want it now but to coin an old phase "good things come to those who wait".

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

twill1010
on 9/14/11 2:50 am
Well thats just it... I live in Trenton, and I was referred to the Ottawa hospital. They gave is the option to have the surgery at Humber and have all before and after care through Ottawa. I was thinking about just transferring my file to Humber so that I wouldn't have to pay for a hotel etc. and have the extra cost for gas, when I went to Ottawa it was over $100 plus parking. Driving home after surgery would be about an hour and a half if I went with Humber... Ottawa approx 4 hours.. It just makes sense to transfer, even if I would have to start the process over again.... I know that Ottawa is an amazing hospital, ive heard nothing but good things, but in the end... it just saves me a lot of money...which I know this isn'ta time where I should cut corners on costs.
Most Active
Recent Topics