Wishing I was not able to eat everything

TNTL
on 1/5/12 7:51 am - ottawa, Canada
 My surgery was on Nov. 28.    From the start I have had no issues with any of the food I eat (except the taste and smell  of whey protein shakes)
I progressed through the stages quite fast as per recommendation from the clinic.   I have been able to eat 1/2 cup to 1 cup per meal.   Nothing has bothered me.
I tried to remain on track over the holidays and did well for the most part however caved with my mom's baked good.    I would have one or two small thumbprint cookies or shortbread cookies.   I felt no ill effects after them and really wish I had  as this would have been a motivator to stay away from them.
The last couple of weeks have been rather stressful so maybe this is contributing to these slips.  
I was under the impression that following the surgery, one would not feel hungry or have any cravings.    Maybe I am not really hungry and perhaps it is more emotional eating.
I find that when I eat, I don't feel full, then again I don't feel hungry either.
I hear so many talk about the difficulties they have with certain food or how full they feel after a bite or so and this isn't the case with me.
It would be so much easier if it was the case.
I am still losing (35 lbs including Optifast) although slowly perhaps because of the odd cookie but I think more because I was told I would not lose as fast.
I am feeling guilty for the slips and wish I had some nasty symptoms to stop me.   Am I crazy to wish for this??   lol
Just ranting and raving.
Tammy

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/12 7:59 am - Canada
I was really hoping that the surgery would stop my cravings too but I fight them daily. It's tough. Every single day I crave cookies. What's odd is, I never craved them before surgery! My cravings were always for savory foods not sweets.

I don't have any bad side effects from anything either. I don't wish I did though because I want to be able to just eat normally and not worry about dumping.

I don't have any advice really, I just wanted to say that you're not alone in your struggles.
Diminishing Dawn
on 1/5/12 8:05 am - Windsor, Canada
Okay hun, pick yourself up, dust yourself off.....it's over.  The holidays are a stressful time for EVERYONE and food is everywhere. You had a couple of cookies and you know what? They aren't going to kill you or make you gain 50 lbs.... they are just cookies.

Forget them and move on.  You've had a moment of weakness, now it's time to get back on track and regroup and remember why you are doing this!! 

One thing you're going to have to work on is distinguishing between "head" hunger and "physical hunger".   You're going to have to start recognizing when foods are tempting you based on smells, looks, because you are bored, because they are just "handy" and whether you are truly hungry. That's pretty hard early out, but as you go along, you'll get better at this.

For now, it's probably going to be about following a schedule and routine. You need to get a food journal, and start making a plan for each day. Much like an archetect plans out how to build a house, you need to start making a "plan" each day to follow and working to stay on course. That may mean keeping temptation out of reach and keeping junk out of your house/view as much as possible. Remember, having goodies out where you can see them will only make you crave them every time you have a visual of them so all food stuffs should be put away behind cupboards. Out of sight, out of mind.

You have to think of ways to keep busy when temptations arise. Make a list of things you could do - whether hobbies or projects (e.g. empty out a drawer, closet etc) to even taking a bubble bath. Something that will get you busy and keep the temptation out. If you can keep a craving away for 20 minutes you might decide later on that it's just not worth it.  Keep challenging yourself by putting this off for 20 minutes.  Journalling is a really great tool - not only to journal what you eat, but WHY you are eat.  Some people even talk to their food - mentally talk to a food - such as "brownie, I know you are no good for me....but I want you. But what do you do for me? You'll just make me fat". I know a lady who is really big on this strategy and it works for her. (she doesn't talk aloud - just in her head. LOL).

>>>>I find that when I eat, I don't feel full, then again I don't feel hungry either.

I think you are too dependent on that "full feeling" to think that you are full.  My team made a point to tell me that I shouldn't expect that "full-split a gut" feeling with my surgery. I was told NOT to expect that for some time.   I was told instead to eat until satiated --- eat until I'm not feeling hungry anymore.  Perhaps using that strategy would help you more. Look for an absence of hunger, rather than a feeling of full.

Honey, I've tolerated just about everything since day one. I've dumped maybe a handful of times and it was on something super nasty.  I've never gotten anything stuck, had the foamies or vomited. Don't kid yourself --- there are MANY of us who do alrights with all foods. I can eat absolutely EVERYTHING.  It's only now many years later that sometimes my hypoglycemia stops me from eating some things anymore. It's all about the choices I make, and the forkful of food I choose to put in my mouth. You'll be no different and while that's not a terrible thing, we can still survive and get the weight off. We just have to have strategies to help us a little bit more (and a great support network like this one is a bonus too!)>

SO you ate a cookie. It's done - lets move on.

I know you'll rock it from now on. You can do it!!! Time to move on

It's a new day =)

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Eileen C.
on 1/5/12 8:17 am - Cornwall, Canada

Right on Dawn

You rock!!!

Eileen
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
Diminishing Dawn
on 1/5/12 8:28 am - Windsor, Canada
Thanks Eileen! 

You're pretty awesome yourself

Have a great night,
Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

aprilbennett1965
on 1/5/12 10:31 am - Canada
Great advice Dawn!
Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

TNTL
on 1/5/12 8:18 am - ottawa, Canada
 Dawn and Simona:
Thanks for the reply and the pep talk and kick in the butt.   It is what I needed.   You are so right that the added support on here is fantastic and is truly what I need.    It is nice to know that others experience the same thing as I do and get through it.
I feel better already 

Tammy

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/5/12 8:23 am - Windsor, Canada

Here's your new motto, my friend:

“Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

AllaP
on 1/5/12 8:46 am - Vaughan, Canada
 I can tolerate everything as well. But I do not touch sweet stuff cause in my case the carbs that  get in my system call their friends. And the less I eat them the less I want them. I hope I will have willpower to do it. I don't have any malabsorbtion since I have sleeve.

Alla.

twins4meplus1
on 1/5/12 9:41 am - St Thomas, Canada
Just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should eat it. Weigh and measure everything and stay away from the sweets and empty calories. Take advantage of the tool you have been given. The honeymoon period will be over before you know it.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Most Active
Recent Topics